When I try to play lead guitar over a previously recorded rhythm passage, the two sounds clash ie the lead is far more quiet and strained than it should be while the rhythm isn't prominent either. I've tried several combinations of volume on both the pedal and the amp but the problem remains. Do I need a second amp?
Does it sound okay with just one track recorded?
Where is it in your signal chain?
I place mine at the last stage before the amp, and it works fine.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
The recording itself sounds fine. Just when i try and solo over the looped recording the two sounds clash. I've got guitar to crybaby 535q, then to rc-3, then to amp (roland cube 30x).
The amp might be the problem because there's no fx loop and a looper usually works the best in the fx loop for most amps.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 3, 2011,
Is this something you know about my particular amp, or is that speculation? I think I will need a bigger amp soon.
It applies to most amps and anyways, modeling amps usually don't take pedals too well.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
The amp might be the problem because there's no fx loop and a looper works the best in the fx loop of the amp.

I kinda disagree..
On my bass amp the looper sounds muddy in the FX loop, but it works just fine infront of the amp.
On my Pod HD it works without problems in the FX loop though.

Having it front of a modelling amp can of course create some issues.
Just to be clear...are you doing both the rhythm and lead stuff on the exact same settings on the amp?
IE. Lay down the rhythm, press looper again and lay down the leads?

If you change settings on the amp it can definitely make your recorded track sound different to what you expect.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass