Page 1 of 3
So i got to thinking the other day, the only two modern bands i can think of that you can accurately describe as "metal" without further qualification are Lamb of God and Mastodon. Obviously people use loads of subgenre names to help describe those bands, LoG have been described as "groove metal", "southern metal" etc etc, mastodon are occasionally described as "progressive metal", but what both of these bands have in common is that they EPITOMIZE what metal is for mainstream listeners today.

Would anyone care to dispute the fact that these bands are best described with the unqualified term "metal"? can anyone name any other bands that this description sums up just as well, or BETTER? i'm excluding thrash metal, death metal, nwobhm etc etc because these terms, although they may be bastions of "true" metal and "purity" for many listeners, still describe cultural niches. maybe an extremely high proportion of metal listeners listen to thrash, but thrash bands are still culturally extremely heavily rooted in 80's metal, and therefore isn't the "metal-metal" of todays world.

any takers?

tl;dr - name some modern bands that if you could only use ONE genre name to describe, you would use "metal" and not "thrash metal", "death metal", "prog metal" etc
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quick! Name as many shitty Metal Hammer-recommended bands as you can!
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Mastodon not Sludge/Stoner early on and prog now? Lamb of God not metalcore? Sigh, learn what a genre describes before saying they aren't described by a particular genre.
Quote by The Wildchild
Quick! Name as many shitty Metal Hammer-recommended bands as you can!
but that would be almost entirely metalcore/etc
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by jeowy
but what both of these bands have in common is that they EPITOMIZE what metal is for mainstream listeners today.

And you think that is metal?
Quote by KingOfBlood
Mastodon not Sludge/Stoner early on and prog now? Lamb of God not metalcore? Sigh, learn what a genre describes before saying they aren't described by a particular genre.
i'm sure really it would be impossible to find a single metal band you couldnt find a subgenre for. what im asking for is bands that it would be particularly easy to just call "metal" because they take so few cues from specific subgenres.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by jeowy
i'm sure really it would be impossible to find a single metal band you couldnt find a subgenre for. what im asking for is bands that it would be particularly easy to just call "metal" because they take so few cues from specific subgenres.

don't be hesitant to enjoy lamb of god just because they're not 'pure metal'

whatever's considered to be pure metal in modern days is going to be generic shit anyway.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Deplorable
And you think that is metal?
probably not, but they're the closest things i could get without needing to use subgenre names to accurately describe them. if anything it shows how few bands i know
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Uh, both bands mentioned aren't just taking cues from a genre for a label. They are that genre. There's no leeway with that; their music is described primarily by those genres.
I'm not convinced that metal exists as a 'pure' genre as you are implying.
All music can be quantified into a genre, ie metal, and then broken down into a subset of said genre, ie thrash.
In other words, anything that is metal can be put into a smaller category.

To take your examples:
LoG is part of the nwoahm, and mastodon is sludge/progressive metal.

muledit:
Quote by jeowy

My point still stands. I think it's just as easy to label metallica 'metal' as it is to label SOAD 'metal' or Bruce Dickinson 'metal' etc...
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
don't be hesitant to enjoy lamb of god just because they're not 'pure metal'
i love them, but i wouldnt consider myself a metal fan anyway.
Quote by laid-to-waste

whatever's considered to be pure metal in modern days is going to be generic shit anyway.
this is my point: i love mastodon. and yet when people describe them as "prog" i cant help but burst out laughing. so there must be other bands out there in a similar vein
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by KingOfBlood
Uh, both bands mentioned aren't just taking cues from a genre for a label. They are that genre. There's no leeway with that; their music is described primarily by those genres.
i think if you described Lamb of God to someone who'd listened to a lot of groove metal, a lot of southern metal, and a lot of metalcore as a combination of those three genres, they would get an extremely inaccurate impression of what they sounded like. similarly with mastodon and prog/sludge.

i didnt mean to imply that they're taking cues from those genre for a label. by "taking cues" i meant taking influence.
Quote by mr.happyman
Judas Priest
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by Magero
No, seriously.

Where the hell do all of you people come from?

there's a 'stupid threads' vortex.

it opens whenever there's a stupid thread.

because they're stupid.

(i still love you, ts)
Quote by jeowy
i love them, but i wouldnt consider myself a metal fan anyway.
this is my point: i love mastodon. and yet when people describe them as "prog" i cant help but burst out laughing. so there must be other bands out there in a similar vein

Well maybe because they are, and you're so bent on being "special" that you don't want to be considered related to anything, so I can't help but burst out laughing at your pathetic elitism attempts.

a thread cant be stupid if its served its purpose, which it has. i wanted to see how the ug metal community would answer my question, and ive seen it. therefore its a successful experiment.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by jeowy
a thread cant be stupid if its served its purpose, which it has. i wanted to see how the ug metal community would answer my question, and ive seen it. therefore its a successful experiment.

The thread is stupid if the purpose is stupid.
Quote by Zeletros
Well maybe because they are, and you're so bent on being "special" that you don't want to be considered related to anything, so I can't help but burst out laughing at your pathetic elitism attempts.

i dont think i understand your line of argument here. there are numerous genres that i would quite readily strongly associate myself with, and metal isnt among them. not because i consider any other genres superior, but just because i dont listen to much metal. the "metal" bands i DO listen to tend to be the ones people would call "mathcore", "prog metal", "technical death metal", etc, and i was just curious about if there were any bands that the metal community would happily describe as "metal" without feeling particular need to use subgenres.

i do apologise if my definition of the term "prog" offends you.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by Zeletros
The thread is stupid if the purpose is stupid.
so it's stupid to want to learn about other peoples' opinions?
Quote by mr.happyman
TS may not have gotten an answer to his question, or even much co-operation, but his thread was a success because he had A DIFFERENT PURPOSE ALL ALONG.

zomg subliminal agenda ftw
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by jeowy
i dont think i understand your line of argument here. there are numerous genres that i would quite readily strongly associate myself with, and metal isnt among them. not because i consider any other genres superior, but just because i dont listen to much metal. the "metal" bands i DO listen to tend to be the ones people would call "mathcore", "prog metal", "technical death metal", etc, and i was just curious about if there were any bands that the metal community would happily describe as "metal" without feeling particular need to use subgenres.

i do apologise if my definition of the term "prog" offends you.

Well too bad, because this "metal", how you call it, is originally a subgenre of rock music.

So you might as well make a stupid thread about what you call true rock music.

Quote by jeowy
so it's stupid to want to learn about other peoples' opinions?

That depends on the subject, being as subjective as you made it, yes.
no, i think he means it's stupid to attempt to set yourself apart from the crowd by putting bands you like into specific genres to make yourself feel better because certain terms turn you off.

Quote by dead-fish
TS may not have gotten an answer to his question, or even much co-operation, but his thread was a success because he had A DIFFERENT PURPOSE ALL ALONG.

zomg subliminal agenda ftw

yes,

holy shit

did anybody else just get a massive boner?
Quote by laid-to-waste
no, i think he means it's stupid to attempt to set yourself apart from the crowd by putting bands you like into specific genres to make yourself feel better because certain terms turn you off.
no names of genres turn me off. im not setting myself apart from any crowd: none of you people know me in real life so i have nothing to gain in that respect. i just find it extremely interesting to see how other people view genres.
Quote by mr.happyman
This is an impossible task. Lamb of God are self-proclaimed American metal. It says so on their t-shirts. Lamb of God realize that no band can be just metal as there are so many different countries. Calling Lamb of God American metal is as close as you can get, just like Behemoth is Polish metal, Children of Bodom is Finnish metal, In Flames is Swedish and so on.

Ask yourself: Do these bands sound alike? Of course not! That's why no band can be just "metal".
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by jeowy
no names of genres turn me off. im not setting myself apart from any crowd: none of you people know me in real life so i have nothing to gain in that respect. i just find it extremely interesting to see how other people view genres.

i don't mind genres. i've seen meshuggah called death metal, just metal or djent or math metal or ___core, but i don't care what it's tagged on itunes as long as it sounds good.
Lizzy Borden had a song named American Metal..I don't think Lamb of God were on their minds when they wrote it though.
Quote by laid-to-waste
i don't mind genres. i've seen meshuggah called death metal, just metal or djent or math metal or ___core, but i don't care what it's tagged on itunes as long as it sounds good.
the genre names dont help me decide what to listen to and what not to listen to. they help me work out where to go looking to find new music, and they give me a better cultural understanding of how different bands from different areas and different "scenes" are connected to eachother.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by jeowy
the genre names dont help me decide what to listen to and what not to listen to. they help me work out where to go looking to find new music, and they give me a better cultural understanding of how different bands from different areas and different "scenes" are connected to eachother.

i don't take that approach, simply because i only really enjoy 1/1000 bands, and most recommendations are bullshit bands that try and sound like the band i've been listening to for a long time

when i want to find new music, i just come on here and chat a little bit, check out some bands around

i found out about periphery just chillin on this forum, haven't looked for many other bands ever since
Quote by Zeletros
Well too bad, because this "metal", how you call it, is originally a subgenre of rock music.

And rock music is a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub genre of banging skulls against rocks. What's your point?
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by laid-to-waste
i don't take that approach, simply because i only really enjoy 1/1000 bands, and most recommendations are bullshit bands that try and sound like the band i've been listening to for a long time

when i want to find new music, i just come on here and chat a little bit, check out some bands around

i found out about periphery just chillin on this forum, haven't looked for many other bands ever since
and i am not you, so your confusion as to my intentions isn't really justified. just completely self-absorbed.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by Senor Kristian
And rock music is a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub genre of banging skulls against rocks. What's your point?

We should be praising our ancestral forefathers for their barbaric prose...Everybody listen to Drakonian Paradigm!
Quote by jeowy
and i am not you, so your confusion as to my intentions isn't really justified. just completely self-absorbed.

so what the hell did you make this thread for if you're looking for people that have the exact same subjective views as you?

just because something is subjective, that means they're inarguable?
Quote by Senor Kristian

I'm just proving how stupid this stupid thread is, TS is also possibly stupid,

god.

I hope not.
Quote by laid-to-waste
so what the hell did you make this thread for if you're looking for people that have the exact same subjective views as you?

just because something is subjective, that means they're inarguable?
no, im looking for people with different views to me to tell me "no, lamb of god and mastodon arent very accurately described as metal, this band _____ and this band ____ are much closer to the style you described", and i could go away and listen to them and go "ah yes i agree", or "hmm no, i disagree", learn a bit about what people think of as "metal", and go away a more educated man.

instead i learnt that the ug metal forum really really really hates it when people want to discuss the concept of genre.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by jeowy
no, im looking for people with different views to me to tell me "no, lamb of god and mastodon arent very accurately described as metal, this band _____ and this band ____ are much closer to the style you described", and i could go away and listen to them and go "ah yes i agree", or "hmm no, i disagree", learn a bit about what people think of as "metal", and go away a more educated man.

instead i learnt that the ug metal forum really really really hates it when people want to discuss the concept of genre.

the radius for things you think are simply a different opinion is tiny. if there's people that disagree with you on lamb of god, there's also people who think you're an idiot. you can't expect any less.
Page 1 of 3