Page 2 of 3
Quote by laid-to-waste
the radius for things you think are simply a different opinion is tiny. if there's people that disagree with you on lamb of god, there's also people who think you're an idiot. you can't expect any less.
naturally
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!

Most likely taken from "Metal: The Headbanger's journey" A must see documentory on metal and its subgenre
I like how it implies Godflesh developed from shock rock

god that tree is awful...
Last edited by Deplorable at Aug 3, 2011,
what? Machine Head metalcore??

Converge. That's enough said
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
The inconsistency of the Metalcore section irks me, I'm fine with many of those bands being Metalcore, but once you define one, the same tag doesn't apply to the others because of each having blatantly different sounds and influences.
A tree is a tree, as it covers mostly subjective sub genre it is highly prone to interpretation.

The point of this "image" is to show how much a true "metal" band can not be named. Even "Early Metal" is not metal in itself, so what's the point of trying to name a true metal band as it has influence from other sub genre to begin with.

Make the test yourself, take a guitar and setup a sound you "think" would be "pure metal", play a riff you'd consider "pure metal" and you'd have different opinions on the subgenre depending on the listener.

Makes me remember when I was in a black metal band, we had a big "debate" on what was realy black metal and what was not. Then someone said "Good shit is good shit, doesn't matter if it's this or that, good shit is still good shit"

So, stop naming and labeling everything and just enjoy the music.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Last edited by hames jetfield at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by t1mman
A tree is a tree, as it covers mostly subjective sub genre it is highly prone to interpretation.

Ok, you'd have to interpret it on LSD to get a somewhat accurate picture of metal's actual evolution though.

Quote by t1mman
The point of this "image" is to show how much a true "metal" band can not be named. Even "Early Metal" is not metal in itself, so what's the point of trying to name a true metal band as it has influence from other sub genre to begin with.

I never said you could make a pure metal song, and that still doesn't make any difference to how incorrect it is in so many ways.

Quote by t1mman
and you'd have different opinions on the subgenre depending on the listener.

That doesn't mean they're right though, does it? Genres are a fairly objective thing based upon common elements among bands, if bands don't have common elements then they aren't of the same genre, simple.

Quote by t1mman
Makes me remember when I was in a black metal band, we had a big "debate" on what was realy black metal and what was not. Then someone said "Good shit is good shit, doesn't matter if it's this or that, good shit is still good shit"

I do enjoy the music, I'm not even anal about genres, the fact is, that tree is a pile of shit because it fails at providing an accurate development of metal and at assigning band to genres, it's like the guy who did it browsed wikipedia for a while for a bit and then just filled in the rest however he wanted.
Quote by t1mman

Recommend me a band you consider "good shit" and it'll show you why genres are necessary.

EDIT: why is there only "norwegian black metal" ?
Last edited by technicolour at Aug 3, 2011,
The only people who have problems with genre titles are those either too stupid to grasp the concept that categorising things does not strip them of their musical qualities, those who who are too stupid to grasp the subtlties between the various sub-genres, and those who think they're just too cool for school and will gladly go through life being handed any old crap when they ask for "METAL, YEAHHH, MORE METALLLLL".

It took me all of 2 years in the metal scene to understand the concept of sub-genres, and that was with barely above mainstream level of music taste (not that far removed now, tbh...). The answer is to open your ears and LEARN, not to stand in the corner and go "NO. IT'S NOT METALCORE. I LIKE IT TOO MUCH, IT HAS TO BE THRASH METAL." Once you've grasped the basic concepts (specific approach to melody + death metal = melodeath, heavy metal + punk = thrash, etc etc etc), it's not that hard to open your pallet to more "complex" genre tags that might not make 100% sense at first glance. It took me a few months to pin down what was and wasn't mathcore, but now it's as easy as listening to 2 or 3 tracks and I'm confident in my decision.
Quote by technicolour
Recommend me a band you consider "good shit" and it'll show you why genres are necessary.

EDIT: why is there only "norwegian black metal" ?

I listen from As I Lay Dying to Pantera to PinkFloyd, to RATM, to Nirvana.

Honestly most of the band I'm listening to nowadays can be put in many subgenre, depending on the point of view, on the album, on the fell of the moment.

So, how is Genre so nescessary? Unless it's for "browsing the same type", and looking for similar sound or labeling, I don't see the point!
Quote by t1mman
I listen from As I Lay Dying to Pantera to PinkFloyd, to RATM, to Nirvana.

Honestly most of the band I'm listening to nowadays can be put in many subgenre, depending on the point of view, on the album, on the fell of the moment.

So, how is Genre so nescessary? Unless it's for "browsing the same type", and looking for similar sound or labeling, I don't see the point!

I hate all those bands barring pink floyd. If you recommended me some "good shit" I would've said "no thanks."

As I lay dying is nu-metalcore
Pantera is groove metal
Nirvana is grunge
RATM is funk rock
Pink flyod is classic rock

If I were to ask for some death metal (assuming you listened to death metal) you would have a slightly better shot at helping me find some music I could enjoy.
Quote by technicolour
I hate all those bands barring pink floyd. If you recommended me some "good shit" I would've said "no thanks."

As I lay dying is nu-metalcore
Pantera is groove metal
Nirvana is grunge
RATM is funk rock
Pink flyod is classic rock

If I were to ask for some death metal (assuming you listened to death metal) you would have a slightly better shot at helping me find some music I could enjoy.

Then you wouldn't need the "genre" per say but rather the music you listen to. It's not the same to listen to "Death" then to listen to "Pantera" then to listen to "LambOfGod". For some people, they are all the same but if you listen to any of those, they are miles apart.
where have all these people come from ?

I swear it's like one person makes a retarded thread and then all of the pit jumps in after it.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by t1mman
Then you wouldn't need the "genre" per say but rather the music you listen to. It's not the same to listen to "Death" then to listen to "Pantera" then to listen to "LambOfGod". For some people, they are all the same but if you listen to any of those, they are miles apart.

Wait, I'm confused, aren't we agreeing then? Since you can't just show everyone every band, so you put them in helpful sub-categories. It's highly likely that fans of Pantera would enjoy Machine Head and Lamb of God, so they get lumped in the groove metal category. It's not that hard to imagine that fans of Death would enjoy Morbid Angel, or Suffocation, so we call them "death metal"... Just because some of the genre names sound stupid, doesn't mean their use as a term to help others find bands they like is any less valid.
Quote by Magero

Debate should really have ended with that. Only genre that gets tricky for me is metalcore, as I still can't comprehend how that genre developed from the original bands and why the tag is thrown around so damn much. Of course I haven't looked too much into it either.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by laid-to-waste
don't be hesitant to enjoy lamb of god just because they're not 'pure metal'

whatever's considered to be pure metal in modern days is going to be generic shit anyway.

This. 100% absolutely This.

It's easier to find a unique false band but it's hard to find a unique true band. Alot of them, although having differences, sound alot alike and could easily be interchangeable.

This is from personal experience by going over a thousand youtube video recs and looking at rec lists. Whatever you do don't type in "Best progressive Metal bands part I to 43423423" I found maybe 3 bands out of a bout 50 that sound different. Or say Death metal recs, Incantation, Suffocation, Immortal, Demigod, Vehemence, Death, Morbid Angel, and Entombed seem to be the only defineable bands. ._.

I chock this up to a way of quality over quantity though. Stick to the bests in True Metal and you'll be fine. Oh you said list True metal bands?

Dismember, Entombed, Dissection, Darkthrone, Incantation, Immortal, Ironhand, At The Gates, Eucharist, Demigod, Vehemence, Evergrey, Cynic, Death, Dissilusion, Ne Oblivisicaris, Disma, Xysma, Suffocation, Gorgoroth, Sacramentum, Beherit, Burzum, Slayer, Artillery, Agalloch, Annihilator, Obliveon, Judas Priest, Opeth.

Now that's just off the top of my head and ones I like. Well, aside from Burzum, War is nice though but meh.
Celtic Frost is metal metal

Lamb of God is Pantera esque nu-metalcore
Mastodon is hipster rock.

False don't entry
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
Celtic Frost is metal metal

False don't entry

Celtic Frost are what keep your curtains up, Celtic Frost are what make sure your lawn mowers keep a mowin, and Celtic Frost are what make your guitars sparkle.
Celtic Frost released 'Cold Lake'.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Celtic Frost released 'Cold Lake'.

I know of no such thing. How dare you blaspheme the good name of Tom Warrior
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
I know of no such thing. How dare you blaspheme the good name of Tom Warrior

'I Despise Myself'....
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
This. 100% absolutely This.

It's easier to find a unique false band but it's hard to find a unique true band. Alot of them, although having differences, sound alot alike and could easily be interchangeable.
This is an interesting point.

1.) Trueness basically refers to how much a given band sounds like stuff from the 80s/90s, and how "true" they maintain metal ideals, which by its very nature means newer bands will be derivative and limited in how they can progress (though this varies)

2.) Falseness usually also entails having musicians in bands with poor listening taste, little awareness of the music they play at large and/or the intellectual aspect of it. This leads to a mindset that does not recognize derivative-ness at all, or if they do, accept it. It also doesn't encourage much awareness for coherent songwriting and/or composition, and both of these things usually lead to usually less than 10 bands which stand out and are not ripped off, and then a few uber-popular bands that all the other bands rip off shamelessly.

However, at the same time the 'false' way of thinking also does not have any of the boundaries which 'trueness' encourages, though the musicians in false bands that attempt to progress or stand out usually do so in shallow, haphazard ways.

Also, for true bands (or at least, the originals) I think the ratio of mediocre bands to quality bands is far lesser when compared to false bands. Anybody that is somewhat aware of true metal from the 80s/90s could probably name at least 20-30 bands, and all of those would be easily distinguishable from one another.
To put it into a dumbed down version, you mean false bands try to create more aesthetically different music, but the ideas behind it are simplistic and shallow. Whereas true bands try to create a solid sound aesthetically, but having ideas that further develop the musics composition instead of just "This sounds weird and different, lets do it" so it has a deeper more realistic meaning.

Am I correct?

Definitely there would be more quality bands coming out during that time, but I'm mostly talking some new bands that have emerged with the rise of the internet, thus it's so easy to find oversaturation. That's why when it comes to false bands I have a plethora of them in one genre, and a handful in a True genre which tend to be the greats like I said.
You are a PhotoShop wizard Strangles, but my love blinds my vision to your pathetic attempts to hate on the same band that gave us Morbid Tales and Monotheist
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Or say Death metal recs, Incantation, Suffocation, Immortal, Demigod, Vehemence, Death, Morbid Angel, and Entombed seem to be the only defineable bands. ._.

wat.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
wat.

Sorry, I always group Incantation and Immortal together but I don't know why. Could be 'cause their names are together on my WMP.
how can you mention Demigod without Andramelech? and Entombed without Nihilist, God Macabre, Utumno, Dismember or At the Gates?

cease entry now.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by Morphogenesis26
To put it into a dumbed down version, you mean false bands try to create more aesthetically different music, but the ideas behind it are simplistic and shallow. Whereas true bands try to create a solid sound aesthetically, but having ideas that further develop the musics composition instead of just "This sounds weird and different, lets do it" so it has a deeper more realistic meaning.

Am I correct?

Definitely there would be more quality bands coming out during that time, but I'm mostly talking some new bands that have emerged with the rise of the internet, thus it's so easy to find oversaturation. That's why when it comes to false bands I have a plethora of them in one genre, and a handful in a True genre which tend to be the greats like I said.
More or less, yeah.

And that does make sense. Trendy -core music basically coincided with the rise of Myspace (case in point: JFAC and Suicide Silence had 2 million plays before ever being signed). I think the reason why a lot of older mediocre bands got forgotten is that if you didn't have any way to stick out musically back then, you'd be swept away... kind of a shame that rarely happens nowadays.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Sorry, I always group Incantation and Immortal together but I don't know why. Could be 'cause their names are together on my WMP.

fair enough.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by progbass
how can you mention Demigod without Andramelech? and Entombed without Nihilist, God Macabre, Utumno, Dismember or At the Gates?

cease entry now.

I never was a fan of Adramelech but I do know they have members of Demigod, thus why I heard them. Utumno I hadn't heard before, and I wanna say I mentioned Dismember and At The Gates within the other list.

I will not cease entry!
Anyway most metal music is an architectonic puzzle of a lot of musical ideas (quite sometimes good ones, but that's obvious if you have so much...) and then some vocals without real emotion (though skill most of the time)
I like (true) metal but the only problem I have with it that I can sometimes hear the aforementioned architect putting riffs together instead of listening to his inner emotions and make passionate music with that.

for that, listen to true (modern) hardcore/emo etcetra
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
This thread has gone full retard and beyond, reported for the sake of everyone here
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.