Page 1 of 2
The study stating that ie users have a low IQ? Found to be a hoax.

http://www.winrumors.com/internet-explorer-users-arent-dumb-study-was-a-hoax/
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Aug 3, 2011,
Anyone who cared about the study in the first place probably isn't terribly bright.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
The story would have been a lot more believable if they hadn't picked such a laughably low IQ figure for people using IE. As far as I know that's what tipped the BBC off about it in the first place.
I just figured they'd used some horribly flawed research method. If IE users had an average IQ of around 80 it would mean that a very large amount of intellectually disabled people and/or idiot savants were using it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Eye new it!! I yooses teh internet explororz and they'rez nothing rong with me!
I'll admit it raised a smile when it said that Opera users had the highest IQs.

Me being a massive fan of the browser.
To be fair though, people who do use IE can't be terribly bright. IE is like dragging a solid iron sculpture of a Bison through a cobblestone street.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
To be fair though, people who do use IE can't be terribly bright. IE is like dragging a solid iron sculpture of a Bison through a cobblestone street.

Maybe ie6 or 7

Ie9 is quite decent, and renders site far better than firefox5. Ff has an odd font, overscales text boxes ans crashes constantly. Its also slower and uses more system resources, from my experiences atleast.

Oh and, no I do not use ie.

E/ also is it just me or does anyone fins that Firefox renders images far grainier than every other browser?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Aug 3, 2011,
The whole thing was a test to see if anyone had an IQ low enough to fall for it.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by JackalUK

Every average has its low ends.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Unfortunately, I have no choice but Firefox because for whatever reason, someone decided it would be good that some versions of Windows 7 are incompatible with all other browsers.

(Even Microsoft's IE )
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Unfortunately, I have no choice but Firefox because for whatever reason, someone decided it would be good that some versions of Windows 7 are incompatible with all other browsers.

(Even Microsoft's IE )

Uhm I'm pretty the European version of 7 has a browser ballot box because the EU deemed it unfair that Ms preinstall softwaire. However I'm pretty certain there is no forcing you to only use ff. That completely ruins to the point the EU did that

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I now believe study's just a little bit less now. Well done, you hoax-masters
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by Jackal58
Every average has its low ends.

Good thing I'm always at the best end of the scales then
i bet this article was done by butthurt IE users.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i bet this article was done by butthurt IE users.

Looking at the website the article is on, yes it probably was, and the study may have a point. But still, an IQ of 80 on average is just ridiculous. So yeah, the study's bullshit, but an actual study would probably find similar results.
I still use Opera and enjoy it either way.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
People care this much about internet browsers? lol
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

Apparently. Lololol u use IE? Get with the picture use Firefox!!! It's totally better but I'm not giving u any reasons cuz other ppl talked me in2 it and idk why I'm using it either bcuz its better.

That's how most Firefox users come off as to me. I rarely get any explanations on how Firefox is better, I just get flamed for questioning the allmighty Firefox.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Apparently. Lololol u use IE? Get with the picture use Firefox!!! It's totally better but I'm not giving u any reasons cuz other ppl talked me in2 it and idk why I'm using it either bcuz its better.

That's how most Firefox users come off as to me. I rarely get any explanations on how Firefox is better, I just get flamed for questioning the allmighty Firefox.

It's faster to scroll in Firefox and the scroll left/right function on some mice don't work in IE. Firefox lists sites by name when you start writing. So I can start writing 'The Pit' and it will ocme up, in IE however, it is listed by URLs.

I can not speak for the other browsers, but I find IE to be less convenient than Firefox. Just try the other browser(s) and decide for yourself then.
Quote by JackalUK

I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Any study that uses IQ as an objective and accurate measure looks fishy in the first place.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by GisleAune
It's faster to scroll in Firefox and the scroll left/right function on some mice don't work in IE. Firefox lists sites by name when you start writing. So I can start writing 'The Pit' and it will ocme up, in IE however, it is listed by URLs.

I can do that in IE as well.
My God, it's full of stars!
Ctrl+F fucks up for me in the new Firefox. I'll type a letter, and as soon as it finds that letter, it will move the page down to it and deselect the text box.
I use firefox. I really don't care about browsers, i used IE for a while and switched out of curiosity. It's only a little better to be honest.
It's pretty funny that browser choice is such grounds for snobbery.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by SkeanAR
Looking at the website the article is on, yes it probably was, and the study may have a point. But still, an IQ of 80 on average is just ridiculous. So yeah, the study's bullshit, but an actual study would probably find similar results.

Not really. IQ is normalised across the population, the amount of people using IE is massive and diverse, it would be very strange if they had a lower average IQ. I can see no reason why IQ, or intelligence generally, would be correlated with browser knowledge.

Quote by Dreadnought

Ya, some people, to be fair, are forced to use shitty browsers like IE6 because their employers or Schools don't want to have to change it. I can understand that being annoying.

Quote by rgrockr
Any study that uses IQ as an objective and accurate measure looks fishy in the first place.

Meh, IQ is a good measure of the parts of intelligence that it assesses, it's frequently used as it's a robust tool. The problem occurs when people equate it with intelligence generally, as the media loves to do.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by rgrockr

Not necessarily. If they equate it with some overarching common sense notion of intelligence then absolutely. But IQ as measured by proper IQ tests has so many correlations with things like school achievement, class position, employment chances, life expectancy and various other features that it is definitely measuring something, if not a comprehensive notion of "intelligence".

EDIT: ninjad by the Irish.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by leeb rocks
Not necessarily. If they equate it with some overarching common sense notion of intelligence then absolutely. But IQ as measured by proper IQ tests has so many correlations with things like school achievement, class position, employment chances, life expectancy and various other features that it is definitely measuring something, if not a comprehensive notion of "intelligence".

EDIT: ninjad by the Irish.

I always think the correlations with school achievement, class position, employment chances, etc are kind of funny. In many countries school final exams and College Admission tests tend to resemble large, albeit more focused, IQ tests.

I mean, if we are essentially using IQ as a measure of school achievement and for college admissions, then we shouldn't be surprised that it correlates with those things. I mean, I had to take what was essentially an IQ test the other day during a job application.

It's be like using the ability to dunk as a test in school, and then being surprised when job success correlates with height.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I always think the correlations with school achievement, class position, employment chances, etc are kind of funny. In many countries school final exams and College Admission tests tend to resemble large, albeit more focused, IQ tests.

I mean, if we are essentially using IQ as a measure of school achievement and for college admissions, then we should be surprised that it correlates with those things. I mean, I had to take what was essentially an IQ test the other day during a job application.

I have a really strong feeling that the class relation may well have a basis in the heavily formalised and professional environment they're typically administered in. Can't back that up but seems likely.

But they do seem to pop up every. I'm pretty wary of the use of variations of them in applications like that.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by leeb rocks
I have a really strong feeling that the class relation may well have a basis in the heavily formalised and professional environment they're typically administered in. Can't back that up but seems likely.

But they do seem to pop up every. I'm pretty wary of the use of variations of them in applications like that.

Quite probably. It should be surprising in any case, given that IQ is heritable, that parents who were good at IQ tests, and thus good at many college admissions tests and job application tests, and thus earned more money, would have children with higher IQs and be in a different class. I assume, by the way, that you mean class as in income distribution rather than in the Marxist sense

They also gave me what appeared to be a Kellyian style psychometric test. That was amusing.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 3, 2011,
ANy idea what this Firefox Aurora thing is about? I'm using it right now, but only because I decided to try Firefox, and it offered me to download this as a pre-beta browser and I thought "THAT'S SO OBSCURE!"
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Uhm I'm pretty the European version of 7 has a browser ballot box because the EU deemed it unfair that Ms preinstall softwaire. However I'm pretty certain there is no forcing you to only use ff. That completely ruins to the point the EU did that
Well it was pre-installed on mine. I can run other browsers, but they're not stable and crash a lot.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
A hoax? Whoops.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Page 1 of 2