Hello !!
how could a guitarist sing while playin metal riffs like ( matt tuck , matt heafy , james hetfield ) do ????
muscle memory . . . if you play a song enough times you will be able to play it whilst reading a book out loud so singing in tune and tempo really isnt a challenge at that point
Quote by mr7string
muscle memory . . . if you play a song enough times you will be able to play it whilst reading a book out loud so singing in tune and tempo really isnt a challenge at that point

THIS^

I remember someone once telling me that you should be able to have a conversation while playing. You shouldnt have to think about whats being played.
That's pretty much it. It helps to get to that point if you are really good at multi-tasking. Concentration is a must, so if you have ADHD you're screwed. BUT it actually isn't as hard as it seems.
Quote by dopelope
THIS^

I remember someone once telling me that you should be able to have a conversation while playing. You shouldnt have to think about whats being played.

Indeed, but you should also be extremely familiar with the lyrics & how they are phrased so you don't have to think about that when you are playing.
Quote by dopelope

Victor Wooten talked about that in his Groove Workshop vid.
It did make me realise how uncomfortable I apparently am when playing, since I still kinda struggle doing that
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Van Hammersmith said take a good book and start playing a riff over it while trying to memorize the book.Then film yourself reciting the book from memory while playing the riff or riffs or maybe even solos and put it on youtube.It should take you approximately three months.But back to your question, yeah, try to read and memorize and speak to someone.Try studying even, stupid as that may sound because all your knowledge at that point will then be fortified with your favourite lick, riff, solo et cetera ringing in your head making it easier to remember.
it also helps to tap your foot while your playing. sounds simple but it really helps
Metal riffs are generally easier to sing along to than other songs. Its not going to be some off beat weird rhythm, but yeah you'll need to be totally familiar with the riff and the words to pull it off.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
I believe it's a mechanical, fine-motor skill that one need to acquire through practice, and practice and more practice.. thats pretty much it.
I've been playing quite a lot for 2.5 years, but I still cannot even talk to someone while playing a moderately difficult riff. As a matter of fact, the only thing I can do is hold steady eight notes and sing.
Yeah
Quote by dopelope
THIS^

yeah, sometimes I practice this. good thing, I'm improving
Fretburning for the one God who keeps my heart ablaze ♪♫♫
(Jeremiah 20:9)