Hey guys i was thinking about learning to play mandolin as i already kind of know guitar n am pretty proficient at bass so i thought i'd try something new and plus i love the way it sounds
So i was wondering what would be a good mandolin to buy just as a beginning one to learn the instrument on, one that won't be too expensive but still good enough to play decently and sztay in tune and stuff. If anyone could give me any info on this, that'd be great
oh and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this there aren't any Mandolin ones so i figured this would be close.
hi mate, whats your price range? obviously the more you spend the better you will get but if you are just starting out you can pick up a fairly decent beginners mandolin for around £70
I was thinking somewhere around 100-200 USD if its possible to get a good mandolin at that price. if not, id like to know how much more id need for a decent one.
well i play mandolin for a living now, i have 2 main mandolins(both electro acoustic) a morgan monroe MMS3 and the one i use most which is a crafter m75 which only cost £160 which is around $250ish but thats to run through a PA system

If you are just looking for an acoustic, you will get a good one for under $200 no problems

epiphone do an MM20 very cheap and being an epiphone it should be nice to get your started

washburn also do some nice ones under $200 aswell

Best place to check is a 2nd hand listing like craigs list or that and you might pick something special up cheap, eastman and kentucky are sort of mid range mandolins you may be able to get for around your price ranges, 2nd hand.

Ebay certainly has alot of fender, washburn, stagg and hohner mandolins for really cheap and all would be fine for a beginer, i would suggest going with an A shape mandolin rather than an F shape as the cheap f shapes tend not to be up to very much.
Oh Great i really like the MM20 Epiphone I might buy that one but ill look around craigslist and Ebay first. Thanks for all the help though
I picked up mandolin around the end of last winter, and while I haven't been playing much recently, it's still a cool thing to have around. I got an Ibanez one at GC for about 125-150 US, and it plays well and sounds pretty good too.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
I bought a Rogue guitar/mandolin package for about $99 USD from Musician's Friend. I had a pro set it up and it plays surprisingly well, though it could resonate a little better. Hope you have a lot of patience when it comes to tuning these things, bedsprings are easier
I own an Epiphone Mandobird.

It's really easy to play, electric, and they have a 4 string version available if you wanted to go that route. My only gripe is, with the 8 string version, the intonation is impossible to get spot on because it only adjusts on the outer points for the whole thing, so the middle strings don't get the fine adjustments they need. I don't believe the 4 string version has this issue.

The single coil is actually just a P-bass pickup. I've heard a lot of guys swap it out for a name brand pickup, but it sounds good to me.

The quality of this instrument amazing, especially for the price, and the nickel strings are easier to play on, imo. And it looks pretty awesome as well. The 4 string version even has more colors to choose from.
The Mandocaster has a full adjustable tele style bridge (a separate bridge or contact point for each set of strings), and so you can adjust each set quite nicely. Also the dual single-coil pickups are very clean sounding... wouldn't swap them out. In any case, these little electric models are far more fun to play than the traditional mandolins... maybe because of the body shape, weight, tone control, etc. Feels like a soprano guitar.
Quote by W4RP1G
I own an Epiphone Mandobird.

It's really easy to play, electric, and they have a 4 string version available if you wanted to go that route. My only gripe is, with the 8 string version, the intonation is impossible to get spot on because it only adjusts on the outer points for the whole thing, so the middle strings don't get the fine adjustments they need. I don't believe the 4 string version has this issue.

The single coil is actually just a P-bass pickup. I've heard a lot of guys swap it out for a name brand pickup, but it sounds good to me.

The quality of this instrument amazing, especially for the price, and the nickel strings are easier to play on, imo. And it looks pretty awesome as well. The 4 string version even has more colors to choose from.

That thing deserves a Seymour Duncan Blackout in there.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.