Right...as you've probably guessed from the title, I'd like people to chip in and tell me about the difference in quality you should expect if you were to buy a fender japan telecaster over an american telecaster.

A friend of mine owns an american telecaster and I'm in love with it (he runs it through a fender blues junior, and the sound is pure gold).
Eventualy I want to buy this amp..

I may end up getting a jap tele, just wondering if the american will run laps around it, or if the differences are subtle..

I won;t be able to buy for a good few months, but I'm curious to find out just how deserved the recent praise of japanese teles is.

Thanks in advance of any posts, and rock on.
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
You're lucky I came across this!

There's a huge misconception about MIJ Fender.

The legendary ones you hear of ARE NOT IMPORTS.

If you buy a MIJ tele that was made to be IMPORTED to the USA then it's quality will be much better than a MiM but IMO less than a USA model.

If it's MiJ indigenous to Japan, then you can expect the quality to rival or even surpass the USA models.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce

If you buy a MIJ tele that was made to be IMPORTED to the USA then it's quality will be much better than a MiM but IMO less than a USA model.

If it's MiJ indigenous to Japan, then you can expect the quality to rival or even surpass the USA models.

That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean they aren't imports? Anything made another country and shipped to the USA will be an import.
Quote by W4RP1G
That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean they aren't imports? Anything made another country and shipped to the USA will be an import.
Read what I said again bro. This is why the whole MiJ fiasco is so misunderstood and people end up with crappy guitars that they spent way too much on.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Oh nevermind, I wasn't sure what you meant, but I get it now. Is there are reason for this? DO they use inferior wood or hardware on the imports? Are they made in a different factory or something?
Quote by W4RP1G
Oh nevermind, I wasn't sure what you meant, but I get it now. Is there are reason for this? DO they use inferior wood or hardware on the imports? Are they made in a different factory or something?
Yes, they use cheaper materials. They consider their import guitars to be their version of "MiM" quality. The indigenous MiJ series are made of the high quality stuff. They have used tons of basswood on their import guitars, which I'm sure you know goes against typical Strat design.

There's a big difference, I own one of the imports, a 86? contemporary strat, and while it's a great guitar and I'll never get rid of it, my USA makes it sound and feel inferior even after many mods. Not but much, by a noticeable amount.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 3, 2011,
Yeah there are different levels of 'MIJ'. The ones like the Classic series and the Special Editions that are sold in the west commonly are basically about the level as the MIM Deluxe guitars. Standard quality woods and build, maybe some nice Seymour Duncan pickups in them or locking tuners or something but nothing special. Then there are the guitars that are made exclusively for the Japanese market. Those are totally on par with the American Standard guitars. Some of the more expensive ones are on par with the American Deluxe guitars. I don't think Fender Japan has an equivalent of the American Custom Shop though.

All the companies that Fender own plus ESP, Ibanez and some of the companies Gibson own do this. I think Schecter too but I'm not 100% sure. Japan is just as uptight about buying domestic as America is so it's in these companies best interest to have a Japanese factory make some top-quality Japanese-exclusive guitars. If you go to Japan they'll have the same arguments about whether an MIA guitar can live up to MIJ standards as we have talking about whether a MIJ guitar can live up to MIA standards.
Well, it comes back to Japanese Law. Non-Japanese cannot "own" companies that are HQ in Japan, nor can they own a majority share in a Japanese registered corporation. Tack on a huge import/ duty fees and an incredibly low exchange rate and it makes more sense to just open a new company in Japan (FMIC and Fender Japan are not the same company, btw).

Speaking of which, MIA Guitars go for the yen equivalent of tens of thousands of dollars.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by guitar nubsauce

+1

also it's probably worth pointing out that most of the MIJ models are vintage-spec, whereas a lot of the american models are modern-spec.

Quote by Hunter2081
Thanks to everyone who's commented sofar

For example is this guitar http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_62_tele_custom_rw_car.htm just basicly a slightly prettier mim for a more expensive price ??

that looks like a non-export (i.e. one of the good ones), assuming the listed specs are correct, but i could be wrong.

another option would be tokai. cut out the middle man (tokai made japanese fenders there for several years). if you're in the UK or germany it should be fairly easy to get your hands on a tokai.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 3, 2011,
I'm from ireland, forgot to mention. Just to clarify, i'm not in the market right now, and won't be for a couple of months again, I just wanted to understand what the hell is up with these jap guitars o.O Seems all i hear about is the mim and mia's these days...

What I would give for a good american tele...and to think, i used to be a les paul man :S
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
ah ok. richtone in england probably ships to ireland, and if you're lucky postage probably wouldn't be *too* prohibitive.

alternatively, depending on where you are in the south, bairds in belfast usually stocks some tokais and also some MIJ Fenders (obviously ring lor email first to check their stock before making a trip).

Actually that's probably the thing to do, to get to try them all head-to-head. As long as you're not in kerry or something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm from Cork, close enough guess :L
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
ah cack. how do you feel about a 250 mile trek through ireland which feels more like 5000?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

also it's probably worth pointing out that most of the MIJ models are vintage-spec, whereas a lot of the american models are modern-spec.

True, and very important when deciding what to go for.

Also note that the electronics on MIJs aren't particularly good. Fretwork is nice, finishing is nice, but, if they're working with lower grade stuff it's still not gna sound as good as something else.
At this point it really seems like a situation where the standard jap teles seem like slightly better variants of their mexican brothers put together by people who are slightly more skilled :S
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
It's really up to you to go and put hand on with it. I swear by my MIJ Fender's day and night. It's easy to check the serial number to see which factory they were actually produced in.

Most of them, as I think someone said before, are vintage spec, which is something I like. Gives a different feel. I'm one of those crazy kooks that actually prefers legit MIJ stuff to most American fenders. It's all in your preference, really.

Fender Japan makes some great stuff.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster
It's really up to you to go and put hand on with it. I swear by my MIJ Fender's day and night. It's easy to check the serial number to see which factory they were actually produced in.

Most of them, as I think someone said before, are vintage spec, which is something I like. Gives a different feel. I'm one of those crazy kooks that actually prefers legit MIJ stuff to most American fenders. It's all in your preference, really.

Fender Japan makes some great stuff.

The reason i have to ask is because the guitar stores near me might aswell not excist, as their stock is meagre to say the least.
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd