Hi all,

I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus, and the tone is great, there are some issue wit the pickups, but people here have helped me resolve the issues in other threads (going to see if they warranty will cover it, if not, will just install new ones)

Anyway, I currently play a dinky vox pathfinder 10, it's been a good starter amp, but I need something better now...something valvey :P

My budget isn't huge... around £200, I've been looking at the vox lil night train head and cab as an option, as it won't be for gigging, only for playing at home and with mates occasionally

I play mostly blues, but I dabble in everything, generally i go for a clean tone, but I like to fuzz and distort it up too!

Other gear includes a crybaby wah, a Behringer super fuzz, and a boss mega distortion.

I don't mind buying a used amp if that will help things, but I think I am adamant on getting a valve amp.

I should say I am a big fan of Vox amps, but that won't dissuade me from trying others!
I'm not sure of the exchange rate between USD and your monies, but I know the amp I'm dying to try is the VHT Special 6 Ultra...I think it has the best collection of features for a small tube amp. Of course, I like Vox too - you might do better with a Vox VT hybrid amp because while tube amps have great base tone, there isn't a lot of options on small tube amps, etc., without a good pedal board put together. Unless you just need a good clean tone, good distorted tone and no fluff. If you aren't gigging, I would absolutely suggest a good hybrid with a lot of features over a tube amp.
Thanks for the tip I'll give it a go! I had initially thought about a hybrid modelling amp, but I was put off when I was told it will sort of hide the tone of your actual guitar through it's modelling phases etc
BTW, had a look, the combo is within budget, and it seems to sound really nice! But I will have to try before I buy, I can't trust a youtube video, mics and ears never hear the same thing!
Quote by katalyzt13
I'm not sure of the exchange rate between USD and your monies, but I know the amp I'm dying to try is the VHT Special 6 Ultra...I think it has the best collection of features for a small tube amp. Of course, I like Vox too - you might do better with a Vox VT hybrid amp because while tube amps have great base tone, there isn't a lot of options on small tube amps, etc., without a good pedal board put together. Unless you just need a good clean tone, good distorted tone and no fluff. If you aren't gigging, I would absolutely suggest a good hybrid with a lot of features over a tube amp.

i own the special 6 ultra and its a real nice little amp. be warned though, it is absolutely bare bones. its gonna need a pedal here and there to help it out. but it really is a great amp. nice volume, portable, sounds great. definitely a good investment
Doesn't bother me if it's barebones, the Vox lil Night Train only has gain, bass, mid, treb, volume, and then a channel switch which bypasses the tone controls and give more...I wanna say balls.

I'm not fussed about a lacking reverb either, I don't have it on my current amp and I don't miss it, so getting a new one without it isn't a big deal, I can just get a reverb pedal!

Is the Ultra 6 all valve or is it a hybrid?
Jet city pico valve . I love mine plus its switchable between 5 and 2 watts.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun

+1

That's an amp that's pretty versatile, but doesn't get much exposure here abouts.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by iheartgun

Can't seem to find that here! Any one I find is waaaay to expensive and is only the head (I have no cab!)
Quote by SMTHSCN
Doesn't bother me if it's barebones, the Vox lil Night Train only has gain, bass, mid, treb, volume, and then a channel switch which bypasses the tone controls and give more...I wanna say balls.

I'm not fussed about a lacking reverb either, I don't have it on my current amp and I don't miss it, so getting a new one without it isn't a big deal, I can just get a reverb pedal!

Is the Ultra 6 all valve or is it a hybrid?

the ultra is 2 12ax7's in the preamp and a 6v6 for a power tube. so yes, all tube with a tube driven effects loop. but i really do want to stress this, when i say bare bones i really mean bare bones... 2 band eq (high a.k.a. tone and lows a.k.a. depth), texture switch that fusses with the headroom that i think is useless. two inputs that are not footswitchable. your either in the clean input or dirty input. the gain channel does not have very much on tap. its a nice little crunch when the amp is cranked though but for most things its gonna need a little bit extra.

i don't mean to persuade you away from it but it needs a pedal or two. it was designed as the perfect amp for people to mod. in my opinion, i would suggest getting an a/b switch so you can go from clean and dirty channels allowing you to have up to 4 different sounds. (clean, clean w/ distortion, dirty, dirty with overdrive)

nonetheless, its a really great little amp. i put a 10 band eq in front of it yesterday and i couldn't be happier with the tone
guitar center is selling them at 165usd in stores (im assuming your in the us) not to mention they will run any octal based power tube ie 6l6 el34 kt66 kt88. they are great amps and much better than the lil night train versatility wise.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by andrerist
the ultra is 2 12ax7's in the preamp and a 6v6 for a power tube. so yes, all tube with a tube driven effects loop. but i really do want to stress this, when i say bare bones i really mean bare bones... 2 band eq (high a.k.a. tone and lows a.k.a. depth), texture switch that fusses with the headroom that i think is useless. two inputs that are not footswitchable. your either in the clean input or dirty input. the gain channel does not have very much on tap. its a nice little crunch when the amp is cranked though but for most things its gonna need a little bit extra.

i don't mean to persuade you away from it but it needs a pedal or two. it was designed as the perfect amp for people to mod. in my opinion, i would suggest getting an a/b switch so you can go from clean and dirty channels allowing you to have up to 4 different sounds. (clean, clean w/ distortion, dirty, dirty with overdrive)

nonetheless, its a really great little amp. i put a 10 band eq in front of it yesterday and i couldn't be happier with the tone

Barebones really isn't an issue, I've got a fair few pedals to get the filth and fuzz when I want it, and I prefer the sound I get out of my pedals generally to the overdrive sound from the gain on amps (don't ask, I'm weird like that)

I've been looking at EQ's as a purchase in the future, I'll keep that in mind! Though generally the flat sound the amp provides is fine for me, and I play with the tone switches on my guitar to shape the sound, with the tone/eq on the amp usually at 10 or 5 (depending on if it's a single tone pot or 3 band eq)

I do like modding, so this may swing it to my favour!

As for the vox in my mind, this video made me think seriously about getting one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8OjAhHRlQ
Quote by iheartgun
guitar center is selling them at 165usd in stores (im assuming your in the us) not to mention they will run any octal based power tube ie 6l6 el34 kt66 kt88. they are great amps and much better than the lil night train versatility wise.

Don't live in the states, am over in the UK

How is it better versatitility wise? Cause they seem the same to me
thats too bad u live in the UK cuz GC is practically giving those things away.

i have played both because i was gonna buy the lil night train and i mean i was dead set on buying it. i just find the voicing of the jet city to be more pleasant to me. but that's just me. i like the fact that you can toss whatever power tube in it and that its got that output selection for 5/2 watts.
plus with a little bit of tweaking and a boost you can get the jet city to do some pretty decent metal tones. i couldnt get that out of the vox. also the amp responds quite well to pick attack with the cleans it can go from pristine clean to a slightly crunchy clean that cleans up with how you pick.

either way both amps are great and you wouldnt be wrong buying either one. i just like one more due to my tastes.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Last edited by iheartgun at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by iheartgun

incorrect. retail pricing for the special 6 ultra 1x12 combo is $340
Quote by andrerist
incorrect. retail pricing for the special 6 ultra 1x12 combo is $340

incorrect read what im talking about. im talking about the Jet city picovalve not the VHT
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
thats too bad u live in the UK cuz GC is practically giving those things away.

i have played both because i was gonna buy the lil night train and i mean i was dead set on buying it. i just find the voicing of the jet city to be more pleasant to me. but that's just me. i like the fact that you can toss whatever power tube in it and that its got that output selection for 5/2 watts.
plus with a little bit of tweaking and a boost you can get the jet city to do some pretty decent metal tones. i couldnt get that out of the vox. also the amp responds quite well to pick attack with the cleans it can go from pristine clean to a slightly crunchy clean that cleans up with how you pick.

either way both amps are great and you wouldnt be wrong buying either one. i just like one more due to my tastes.

Well I have friends stateside, I'm sure I could ask one of them to buy it for me and ship it over, though I imagine that will end up costing me more than if I bought it here. If I find one in store I will definitely check it out!

I don't know if my buying attitude is correct, but for me, the most importat factor for a guitar amp is how it sounds clean, because any fuzz, gain, overdrive, distortion (pick you poison!) for me i best controlled through a pedal. I've always had the philosophy that the amp is made for sound and should be clean, and the pedals are where your noise should come from!

Maybe I'm wrong, I know some people will buy a distortion pedal and play it on the dirty channel on their amp, but I don't like doing that, the sound becomes hard to define at all that way to my ears