Page 1 of 2
Fellow UGers, I need an answer.

Me and a friend had this idea recently.

A trunk takes up a large amount of space and adds to the weight of the car. It also makes it harder to park. What if it was detachable?

Is this possible? Can anybody think of a way to do this?
^That and you can take the box off of a pick-up truck.
Last edited by chaucersttafu at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by LordBishek

could i have a link?
i need some kind of a design or basic instructions.
Quote by abhilaksh
could i have a link?
i need some kind of a design or basic instructions.

1. Buy trailer
2. Attach trailer
3. ???
4. Profit
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by LordBishek

its for this innovation competition thing at this engineering college. our school selected a bunch of people for it. im one of them. we're supposed to come up with some kind of innovative idea regarding cars in like, two days.

i don't need a trailer. It has to be like, an actual detachable trunk. Like, imagine a buick lesabre. now imagine it minus the trunk. LIke that.
Last edited by abhilaksh at Aug 3, 2011,
So you picked an innovation that required mutilation or significant redesign of the rear end of a vehicle, but then also ask for a basic design of a FUCKING BOX ON WHEELS? Which engineering college is this??
Quote by abhilaksh
its for this innovation competition thing at this engineering college. our school selected a bunch of people for it. im one of them. we're supposed to come up with some kind of innovative idea regarding cars in like, two days.

Well, a trailer has been done. Time for a new idea.

Quote by LordBishek
So you picked an innovation that required mutilation or significant redesign of the rear end of a vehicle, but then also ask for a basic design of a FUCKING BOX ON WHEELS? Which engineering college is this??

Quote by LordBishek

well our other idea was making hydrogen with waste aluminium using sodium hydroxide, but i think storage of hydrogen is a pain in the ass.

i also thought there could be some kind of a heating mechanism for tyres in rainy weather. It'd prevent skidding. i think.
Quote by LordBishek

This is an Indian engineering college, isn't it?

and what does that have to do with anything?

anyway, its a workshop on automobile engineering, which i don't know shit about.
Quote by abhilaksh
and what does that have to do with anything?

I can tell. And before you say anything, I'm both Indian and an engineer.

Quote by abhilaksh
well our other idea was making hydrogen with waste aluminium using sodium hydroxide, but i think storage of hydrogen is a pain in the ass.

i also thought there could be some kind of a heating mechanism for tyres in rainy weather. It'd prevent skidding. i think.

Second idea is better. Now you're thinking practically. Still, I don't see how heated tires would prevent skidding in rainy weather - MAYBE in icy weather, but snow tires are a better and lower cost alternative. If you want better grip in rainy weather, make your tires more textured - after all, that's what the grooves are for.

What about a cheap HUD and low cost HUD system? a simple projection that projects, say, speed and revs onto the windscreen?
Last edited by LordBishek at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by LordBishek

What was your first clue?
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by LordBishek
I can tell. And before you say anything, I'm both Indian and an engineer.

Second idea is better. Now you're thinking practically. Still, I don't see how heated tires would prevent skidding in rainy weather - MAYBE in icy weather, but snow tires are a better and lower cost alternative. If you want better grip in rainy weather, make your tires more textured - after all, that's what the grooves are for.

What about a cheap HUD and low cost HUD system? a simple projection that projects, say, speed and revs onto the windscreen?

That's actually a pretty good idea! the driver wouldn't have to keep looking down at the speedometer.

another idea i had was some kind of an echolocation system to warn the driver about, like, deer, or pedestrians. it'd prevent road accidents.
Quote by abhilaksh
That's actually a pretty good idea! the driver wouldn't have to keep looking down at the speedometer.

another idea i had was some kind of an echolocation system to warn the driver about, like, deer, or pedestrians. it'd prevent road accidents.

Sure, but how can you distinguish between a deer and other traffic?
Quote by abhilaksh

Except it would pick up everything else aswell, like other cars, buildings, trees

*edit*

Damn, I was too slow
Quote by pigeonmafia
Except it would pick up everything else aswell, like other cars, buildings, trees

*edit*

Damn, I was too slow

which is why we scrapped it.
Quote by LordBishek

You were going to suggest a camel with detachable hump, weren't you?
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by abhilaksh

It'd be useful for when you get stuck, but I think water on top of ice would be worse than just ice. An innovation I thought up a while back that you might use is putting wind turbines onto hybrid cars like in spots that are supposed to pick up airflow and it would charge the battery quicker than the alternator alone.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by wahappen
You were going to suggest a camel with detachable hump, weren't you?

There aren't that many camels in India.

We could always run the cars on pureed monkeys. I hate monkey.
Quote by LordBishek

OMG.

i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by G.Krizzel
I will tell you how to do it, but only if you write "Crossroads. Part 14"

ive just been busy as hell with school stuff man.
i dont want to write it and do a half assed job. maybe by next week.
Quote by abhilaksh
ive just been busy as hell with school stuff man.
i dont want to write it and do a half assed job. maybe by next week.

OK, I don't like half-ass-ness either.
Take your time.

And could you please include some robots in the next part?
Thanks.
The issue with a detachable trunk is that the car has a center of balance, if you take 250 pounds off the ass end, the entire suspension goes out of whack. You could put hydraulics in it, but that's expensive as fuck. Outside of that, you would need special (probably custom-ordered) shocks/struts/etc to have the car level after the trunk is taken off, and keep it that way once it is put back on and filled with people's shit.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by tayroar
It'd be useful for when you get stuck, but I think water on top of ice would be worse than just ice. An innovation I thought up a while back that you might use is putting wind turbines onto hybrid cars like in spots that are supposed to pick up airflow and it would charge the battery quicker than the alternator alone.

Yeah sure, because the energy gained from that is gonna be higher then the energy you need to put in to the system in the form of wind resistance and added weight...

No, the best thing you could look for is a way to increase engine efficiency by using the waste-heat (Which is where AT LEAST 60% of your petrol is lost in) to power the engine. Try and make some superlight turbines and use those as turbochargers. The energy from the exhaustheat is used for something to increase engine power, but the exhaustflow and -speed aren't effected.
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Quote by LordBishek

I'm pretty sure that already exists.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
not to hate, but thats a pretty stupid idea. what would there be there instead of a trunk? a 4' x 4' flatbed? it would mess with the drag coefficient and it would get worse mileage. and would look silly. If you made it so that the trunk comes off as like a large container that you can pick up by hand, that might be neat. Like a large cooler or something.
::type i'm here to stir the $h!t

The trunk is an empty space. How does an empty space add weight to the car?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by yottaMax
Yeah sure, because the energy gained from that is gonna be higher then the energy you need to put in to the system in the form of wind resistance and added weight...

No, the best thing you could look for is a way to increase engine efficiency by using the waste-heat (Which is where AT LEAST 60% of your petrol is lost in) to power the engine. Try and make some superlight turbines and use those as turbochargers. The energy from the exhaustheat is used for something to increase engine power, but the exhaustflow and -speed aren't effected.

It wouldn't be like fans mounted on the top of the car, it'd be like in the holes below the lights and stuff where air flows through anyway.

Quote by eight1_8
indians are from india

Native Americans are also often called Indians.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Last edited by tayroar at Aug 3, 2011,
Page 1 of 2