so its guitar mod time.
im looking for a new pickup for my sg, heard gfs was good (prices are definitely very good, trying to stay cheap here

i want a hot pickup, and would like to coil tap it and do a series/parallel switch too possibly, so 4 conductor wiring is a must, but i havent seen many gfs pickups with 4 conductor...

any reccomendations/other brands to look at?
im pulling the neck pickup out and cutting a new pickguard so this is for the bridge.

thanks!
The GFS VEH is nice, I have a LP copy with the Fat Pat in it. Most GFS humbuckers are 4 conductor by the way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
justrooster- interesting, ill look into the crunchy rails a bit more, altho im considering just getting the nailbomb and waiting for a bigsby (was gonna put one on with the vibramate)

robbgnarly- really? sweet then maybe i will go with one of them
I love GFS pickups. They are amazing for the price, and if you listen to comparisons on Youtube, you can tell that they hold up very well against Duncans and Dimarzios.

As far BK pickups are concerned, they are pretty damn expensive. The sound clips all sound pretty good, and they have a great reputation, but I can't see taking a plunge on such an expensive pickup without even trying it. Maybe they aren't as expensive in the UK, but in the states they are up there. I really don't buy all this hype about them being better than Duncan and Dimarzio, there's only so much you can do with something that's literally just some wire wrapped around the poles with a magnet under it. Look at EMGs. They have complex circuitry built into them, are resin potted, they include all the pots needed, and yet they still cost less than BKPs.

Personally, I think there is way too much hype out there moving products. Someone can come at me with accusations of having never tried BKPs so I can't have an opinion, and it's true that I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet. But I've been playing for 13 years, and I own a Samick with very nicely made Korean pickups that easily rival the big brands.

I've played many guitars of varying quality. And the one thing that remains consistent is this: The most important factor in your tone will be your amp and your EQ settings.

And I believe because of this combined with ignorance, many people don't utilize an EQ pedal to cut out the mids or highs, or increase lows/low-mids in a pickup that needs such an equalization, they just find a pickup that already has the qualities they desire and claim it to be better.

I'm not saying that all pickups are equal, or that a pickup upgrade is never necessary, just that it's not the magic upgrade that people expect it to be. I mean, in the end, how many different ways are there to wrap some wire and dip something into wax?

[/rant]
Last edited by W4RP1G at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by SGRocker400
justrooster- interesting, ill look into the crunchy rails a bit more, altho im considering just getting the nailbomb and waiting for a bigsby (was gonna put one on with the vibramate)

robbgnarly- really? sweet then maybe i will go with one of them

Yeah I was rally sceptical about ordering online, without hearing them first. But for @$30 a p/u you cant go wrong, and the customer service is awesome.
The GFS fat pat replaced a Dimarzio super distortion, so yea the quality is there, just not the price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
warpig- seeing as a new pickup (depending on brand/model of course) is around the same price as a decent eq pedal, it seems easily justifiable to get a new pickup over an eq pedal because theres no change to your signal chain, no power supply/battery needed, and is one less thing to keep track of at shows and such. but i do agree that people should learn to eq properly and such first.

robbgnarly- probably gonna go with a fat pat since it is 4 conductor
How hot are you talking? I'd recommend a Crunchy Pat. Fat Pat might not be hot enough.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
How hot are you talking? I'd recommend a Crunchy Pat. Fat Pat might not be hot enough.

No the Fat pat isn't super hot, but the tone is much better than the Crunchy pat. I play mostly Metal/Hardcore/Punk and I would suggest the Fat pat for any of them, unless you want to pull off pinch harmonics all the time. It has a very warm round sound, no frequency is too overpowering. Besides, most gain comes from the preamp nowdays, I find that the SH-4/SH-6 are about as hot as I like my pickups. The VEH that GFS makes is pretty nice though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by SGRocker400
warpig- seeing as a new pickup (depending on brand/model of course) is around the same price as a decent eq pedal, it seems easily justifiable to get a new pickup over an eq pedal because theres no change to your signal chain, no power supply/battery needed, and is one less thing to keep track of at shows and such. but i do agree that people should learn to eq properly and such first.

Well, the Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ is $30. A more solid pedal by MXR is $70-$100(depends on the model). And it's something that should be incorporated into everyone's setup, imo. Buying a new pickup to adjust EQ is just ridiculous.

But I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't get new pickups, just that many people don't give their pickups a fair chance.
not too hot, but hot enough to handle metal a bit.

warpig-i deffinitely agree its rediculous, ive been thinking about getting an eq myself, and half the reason i want a new pickup is so i can coil tap it without having to open it up. i couldve just put two more conductors on the stock pup, but i decided to just upgrade it *shrug*