I just changed the strings on my Schecter. It has a Floyd Rose System on it, and this is my first time changing strings on a floating bridge. My e and G strings pop out of the saddle blocks every time I touch the bar and its quite frustrating. Im using Ernie Ball not even slinkys and I am tuned to drop C. Any Ideas?
with the higher strings you have to make sure they are pretty deep in the pocket for them, and that you get them moderately tight. I used to have the same problem until I really started spending time with the higher strings.
Will over tightening cause them to slip, or does it just ruin the metal quicker?
When you cut the ball ends off the string, are you leaving the twisty part at the end of the string? If not, just cut the ball end off, leave the twist part on there so the blocks have something to grip.
No i cut the twisty part off next time ill leave it on. I will get more strings today. I spent like three hours leveling the bridge its perfect. Thanks everybody
Quote by Cpiland
No i cut the twisty part off next time ill leave it on. I will get more strings today. I spent like three hours leveling the bridge its perfect. Thanks everybody

That's your problem.

If you have enough slack in the strings on there now, loosen them, bend the ends that go into the trem blocks and stick them back in. This will also give the block more to bite into.
When you stick the allen key into the string block to lock the strings in, what end are you sticking into the allen hole? Make sure you are sticking the short end into the hole and using the longer end for leverage in order to have enough force to tighten the strings into place.

^^I always cut the whole ball-end as well as the part that bulges out when I change my strings, I've never had a problem before, and I don't over-tighten the string blocks at all.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by zincabopataurio
When you stick the allen key into the string block to lock the strings in, what end are you sticking into the allen hole? Make sure you are sticking the short end into the hole and using the longer end for leverage in order to have enough force to tighten the strings into place.

^^I always cut the whole ball-end as well as the part that bulges out when I change my strings, I've never had a problem before, and I don't over-tighten the string blocks at all.

x100. I always cut the complete end off and never have issues.

One thing that messes people up is when the block falls out. These only go one way in, and have an groove for the tightening screw to seat into. If they fell out make sure you have them installed properly.
Is it possible that my string a too heavy for the trem im using not even slinkys.
The block is made to fit most strings, it is highly unlikely that your strings are too big. Make sure it is all put back together correct. As stated earlier, the little block that bites onto the string,only goes back in one way. That is to say, it can be put in backwards if you are not being careful.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Cpiland
Is it possible that my string a too heavy for the trem im using not even slinkys.

Did you try what I suggested yet> How did it turn out, do you still have this problems?
If you're still having problems with the strings popping out, take the string blocks out of the problem saddles and have a look at the front face of them. Its possible they have grooves worn into them, so they aren't holding the string properly.
Ok i had to adjust the saddle forward and then re adjust the intonation but i finally got it to stay in place when i use the trem. Thanks for all the suggestions I learned a lot from this experience.
I'm having the same problem and I have tried all of the above. I've never had this problem with a floyd before. any further suggestions?

Schecter Damien Elite FR 7 LH
Ibanez Premium RG870QZML
Zoom G2.1u Used as Delay & Reverb
Bugera 333XL Infinium
Ibanez Tone Blaster 412
Nice bump.

If the strings are popping out, it could be the screw is not tight enough, the block is not inserted correctly into the hole, or the block and surrounding areas on the bridge are worn.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by 667
When you cut the ball ends off the string, are you leaving the twisty part at the end of the string? If not, just cut the ball end off, leave the twist part on there so the blocks have something to grip.

Huh. I always put the ball ends of my strings at the tuners. But that's actually smart, I'm gonna have to try that next time I restring.

For the first time ever a necrobump was a good thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cpiland
I used to have that problem on my Scheter FR. Also with a Floyd Rose special floating bridge.

Here's the solution I did.
> I cut the ball end of the guitar string (http://i.imgur.com/Nuy3OU8.jpg)
> I leave the twisty part.
> Insert that end as deep as possible between the insert blocks
> Tighten the string locks.

I find this quite effective.
The twisty part of the strings creates like some sort of an anchor that improves grip and traction between the insert blocks.

This is not needed for the lower strings since the winding already creates enough traction for it not to slip out.

ALTERNATIVELY:
You can also create the twisty part manually using a plier.

I hope this helps you my friend