So about a month ago was looking for some cheap transportation. I went on craigslist and saw that a guy was seling this Aprilia sr50 scooter for really cheap. It had a broken piston, needed cleaning, and was just otherwise ugly, but if you know scooters/mopeds/motorcycles you know that Aprilia is a very respected and high end name. I thought Id pick it up and do some work on it to get it running and ride it for awesome gas mileage. It sat around my house for about three weeks before I realized that I knew nothing about engines and mechanics enough to repair this thing and that itll just sit around and continue to lose value, so I listed it back on craigslist and sold it to a fellow in Alabama. Now the state laws are diffrent in Alabama. They require these little scooters to be tagged and issued a title, whereas Georgia law does not. He googles the vin and finds out that this scooter was stolen in Atlanta in November last year. Now he called the cops, they repossesed the vehicle and now hes saying that he wants his money back.
Now Im no law expert, but I dont think thats how it works. Enlighten me, pit. Am I screwed?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
He should have looked into it before he paid you, just like you should have done before you bought it in the first place. Tough luck for him IMO.
More or less... they're going to trace it to you (easily) and you will have to give the guy his money back; unless you can find the guy you bought it from, you are the last in the chain of sale and you will be out the money unless the original owner of the bike gives you "reward money" of some sort, or pays the guy who bought it from you back. Generally speaking, one person always gets screwed if someone successfully steals and sells a piece of merchandise, because the cops don't refund your money. Also generally, its the person before the person that finds out it's stolen... in this case, you.
Last edited by ZanasCross at Aug 3, 2011,
Pretty much. Unless you can find the guy you bought it from, you're boned out of that money, and the scooter.

I know some laws are different about buying stolen property unknowingly though.

Why is it that I can't remember my business law class from senior year? It's only been a couple months
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by JD2k9
You're a bad person TS. My family are going through this right now but on the other end.

You stole property and sold it?
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by eight1_8
america gives you aid and fights your wars for you

wat
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by eight1_8
america gives you aid and fights your wars for you

Yea, those pricks!

....wait.
All the info I have of the guy who sold it to me is his phone number. All the info that the guy I sold it to has of me is my phone number. If they can find me, they can find the guy who sold it to me.
Also, how will the authoritys know how much money to take from me? All they have is the word of the guy who bought it from me. He could claim anything he wants. This doesnt seem right.
Quote by c3powil
All the info I have of the guy who sold it to me is his phone number. All the info that the guy I sold it to has of me is my phone number. If they can find me, they can find the guy who sold it to me.
Also, how will the authoritys know how much money to take from me? All they have is the word of the guy who bought it from me. He could claim anything he wants. This doesnt seem right.

The police actually can't do shit. It will have to be dealt with between the two of you or in small claims court. You will not win a case in small claims court with "oh I didn't know it was stolen" otherwise pawn shops would do this too. I recommend giving his money back, otherwise you'll be more money out once you get served for court fees and lawyer fees.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Another thing is that I gave him no bill of sale or any kind of reciept. He has nothing to go on to claim that he gave me any money for it.
Quote by c3powil
Another thing is that I gave him no bill of sale or any kind of reciept. He has nothing to go on to claim that he gave me any money for it.

I'm sure he has bank statements, and I doubt they'll believe you just gave it to him. If you want it to go to court, and if you think you have a case, by all means, let it go. I'm just saying what I'd do in your situation. There's also the tricksy little bit where the police are going to think you stole it. If you're more cooperative, the less likely that they'll investigate it.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
You, my friend, royally, marvellously, spectacularly, completely and 100% utterly

SCREWED
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.