Is it possible to stack two distortion pedals (boss ml 2) to get a death metal sound like dying fetus or it will sound like crap ?
It'll probably sound like crap.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
It'll cut the signal way too much and probably wind up sounding like a wet fart at best.
It depends on the pedals and your personal preference. I don't play death metal, but I do run my two distortion pedals together (Danelectro OD --> EHX Big Muff) for a lead tone. My overdrive gets me a nice crunch, but it's not enough sometimes, and the Muff doesn't really cut through that well. The OD tightens up the fuzz a bit, and really gives a good solo tone. Experiment and see what you like!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
What sound are you trying to get? Can you list your gear?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I have a peavey valveking 112, a schecter hellraiser c-7, boss ml-2 and boss rc-30.
With the gaer you have, you could run the amp with a light amount of distortion and use the Ml-2 with some on it too, but niether should be tunred all the way up. You really have enough gain on tap on either one to get that sound. The only things I could suggest to you would be tuning down somewhere low and getting a graphic eq.
What you could do is get an overdrive pedal like the Ibanez TS-9 or something like that. OD's like them are usually used to tighten everything up.

Failing that, an MXR Ten Band EQ should help if you want to go that route.
Okay so by putting a tubescreamer after my ml2 I should have a high gain sound (homicidal retribution by dying fetus like). Becaue I'm really not sure, my amp has a really low gain by default and I want to be able to go from dirty to clean by the click of a footswitch (or two)
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Cannibal Corpse boosts rectos with ml 2's.....
And the TS should go before the ML not after.

You need a new amp.

I disagree. The experience I have with the valvekings leads me to say that the amp is fine, and its quite high gain, at least the head is. For some reason though I find combos dont sound chunk as stacks (gee I wonder why), and they often skimp a little on the gain circuit. The valvekings are good amps, just cause it's not a dual rectifier doesn't mean it cant do metal.
Yeah just make sure you put he higher gain one second.

Mine is Luther Drive -> Muff

for some reason doing it muff -> Luther Drive makes it sound terrible.
yes, it will sound like a dying fetus
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Dmaj7
Yeah just make sure you put he higher gain one second.

Mine is Luther Drive -> Muff

for some reason doing it muff -> Luther Drive makes it sound terrible.

No, you order it on terms of highest to lowest gain.

That way you get finer controls across your ODs instead of sudden jumps when you tweak the ODs later in the chain.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
No, you order it on terms of highest to lowest gain.

That way you get finer controls across your ODs instead of sudden jumps when you tweak the ODs later in the chain.

Uhm, bro. I tried going muff > Luther like two days ago. It doesnt work.

Why do you think metal guitarists feed thier distorted amps with ts9s?

They dont go guitar > Preamp > ts9 > power amp.

It would sound, like a dying fetus.
Quote by Dmaj7
Uhm, bro. I tried going muff > Luther like two days ago. It doesnt work.

Why do you think metal guitarists feed thier distorted amps with ts9s?

They dont go guitar > Preamp > ts9 > power amp.

It would sound, like a dying fetus.

OD into OD. Fuzzes are highly temperamental, they don't always like any position in the chain, hence your problem. You can highlight as many people who use a Muff as a boost as you like, in terms of circuitry, the muff is more of a fuzz than an OD.

Also, the context here is that we are talking about further boosting an OD with another OD, not boosting an amp with your OD.

Essentially, the tone controls on most ODs are attenuators. By sticking a low gain OD in front of a high gain pedal, you're not pushing your high gain pedal very much.

In contrast, stick your high gainer in front of your low gainer, and your high gain OD will push the heck outta your low gain OD.

In doing so, you're having a lot of control over your total gain level as your low gain OD will attenuate in finer increments. Flip that around, and your high gain's tone stack attenuates in huge increments with small nudges.

Of course your can do it your way, but it's not the most effective use of the OD controls.

Also if you insist that you must boost a high gain pedal with a low gain one... then by that logic the act of using a dist pedals or even a low gain pedal in front of a clean amp is utterly and completely wrong, because you're pushing a low gain amplification stage with a high gain amplification stage, this follows your logic that a low gain amp stage MUST push a high gain amp stage.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 6, 2011,
It really all depends on the type of pedals you are using, an overdrive and another overdrive/distortion/fuzz will work. sometimes a mild distortion and a fuzz will work, but rarely will two heavy distortions of fuzzes will work.
Quote by Dmaj7

I'm not even going to say anything.

I don't think ragingkitty is with us.

Right then do tell what you don't understand. As far as I can tell all I've done is explained and refuted your insistence that one MUST ALWAYS run a low gain OD into a high gain OD.

Is that so hard to understand?
    Quote by Blompcube

( )( )