My son is 13 and is an intermediate to guitars, amps, effects, etc. and I want him to learn rather than have me just fix it myself and have him learn nothing, I want him to learn things like "The amp is buzzing so sit farther away from the amp" or "get a noise gate pedal" and someone teach him how to use it. The way a lot of us learned was with just a little or even no help and I want him to have the same great experiences. I just need a quick rundown for him on some of the general effects.

He is about an intermediate I suppose, he has bought a guitar and amp, the first with his own money, and knows mostly about distortion, I want him to learn mostly about delay, phaser, reverb and chorus/flange, also about low, high, and shape (which I believe is similar to presence as drive is to gain).

I would also like for you to teach him how to make his amp quieter, it's a 120 watt Crate GLX212 and even I have to say, he can only turn the volume knobs about 1/4 a milimeter before it goes from dead silent to shaking the house. Here's a PDF manual from the crate website about the amp which should help a lot. http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/GLX120_OM.pdf

So from here I'll leave it to him.
So you want us to tell him about the effects?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
So you want us to tell him about the effects?

Just what they do and things like a high tremolo effect isn't good because it cuts half the noise, blah blah blah. Not really much, and I myself would actually like to know how to make my amp quieter, I always used a smaller amp indoors and something much bigger outside. And then I'll just have him read what you guys post.
Well, a 120 watt amp isn't going to get quiet and still sound good.
Quote by kutless999
Well, a 120 watt amp isn't going to get quiet and still sound good.

Doesn't really need to sound good, it just needs to be quiet before I get a heart attack because something hits the volume button and he turns it on with a bang. A pedal if one exists is what I'm mainly looking for, just something to unplug if he goes gigging or something.
Maybe a volume pedal?
You know what a volume pedal does, right?
Quote by kutless999

Hopefully make things quiet, I have no experience with noise pedals or really anything with volume in general, I just trust that volume knob.
Quote by kutless999

I don't. What does it do? I can't guess. Alter the pitch of the note?
A volume pedal controls the volume of the amp.
Quote by kutless999
A volume pedal controls the volume of the amp.

Well I figured that part was obvious.

Quote by Jehannum
I don't. What does it do? I can't guess. Alter the pitch of the note?

I thought it raised the bass on my neck pickup! Dammit!
Actually, forget the volume pedal. This is what you need. http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm read that.
no, see what you need is an amp that isn't stupidly loud. 120w is overkill for most everything. Might I suggest getting him a 30w Peavey Vypyr?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kutless999
Actually, forget the volume pedal. This is what you need. http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm read that.

Are these available in stores?

Quote by oneblackened
no, see what you need is an amp that isn't stupidly loud. 120w is overkill for most everything. Might I suggest getting him a 30w Peavey Vypyr?

Yeah, but then again, where can you get a 120watt amp for 100$? It's an older amp but was maintained very well by the store.
Last edited by Greatdude49 at Aug 3, 2011,
Wait a second, do you play guitar yourself?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Wait a second, do you play guitar yourself?

Yeah, I suck with teaching people though.
You aren't teaching technique though...haven't you ever used effects before?

Also, this is your son. He is 13. In a few short years he is going to drift away from you. Use this as quality bonding time and cherish every moment of this. Also, this could be a great way for YOU to learn some new and valuable information.

I wish my father played guitar so we would have SOMETHING in common.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Vypyr is actually not a bad idea. It's one of the better modelling amps out there, not overly pricey and it has a headphone jack. Vox Valvetronix amps or a multi-effects unit are worth looking into as well. They'll give him the ability to learn everything you want him to first hand and quietly.
... I sure wish my dad had any interest at all in music. He heard me play once, when I was 14. Let him get an account I guess? Still play with him though :p

Don't want this to come across wrong though, we go hunting together and chill out drinking beer. My dads the best, hes just not a music guy. It's background noise.

He has a solid state amp right? It should be damned quiet... you don't need a volume pedal OR an attenuator. Unless he wants to do volume swells
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 3, 2011,
actually, a volume pedal does NOT control the volume of the amp. It functions exactly like the volume knob on your guitar. You won't get nasty distortion at a lower volume using a volume pedal. When you use it to cut the volume it will clean up the signal like you're rolling back the guitar's volume knob.

Now some SS amps (my old spider for example) have a volume pedal you can buy that WILL lower volume without changing tone, but any generic volume pedal you buy will not do what you want, unless it's made for your amp.

The main problem is that your son has a 120W amp. Most pro musicians that play stadiums don't need a 120W amp. It's absolutely overkill for a bedroom or apartment player where noise is a concern. Not sure what to tell you there.... he has a loud ass amp. Either get used to the volume, or find him an amp that can be played quieter.

As far as effects are concerned, the best way to learn what they do is to just play around with them and get an ear for what sounds good, and what combinations sound good together.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Aug 3, 2011,
Vox VT or Roland Cube as well
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, a new lower wattage amp would be your best option here.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by Greatdude49
Are these available in stores?

Yeah, but then again, where can you get a 120watt amp for 100$? It's an older amp but was maintained very well by the store.

watts=/= good, y'know?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.