Hey guys, like always hope everything is goin good for all yall.

When i was laying in my bed today i was thinking. What if instead of playing every note in a minor or any other scale like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Why not try it out with power chords. I tried going from like the 1st to the 3rd to the 2nd then to the 4th and it dont sound like it would be that bad of a riff, ive tried other combinations too. It this called something? and Should i keep practicin it? Can i use power chords to with relationship to the scale pattern to make stuff up?

Thanks!
its also very easy for me to put a lil solo inbetween the riffs , for example if i use a minor pattern for the powerchords, i would hit up the pentatonic minor in what ever the 1st what in the power chord progression.
"Should i keep practicin it? Can i use power chords to with relationship to the scale pattern to make stuff up"

yes of course you can, anything you do with minor chords you can do it with power chords it's the same.

Oh and btw, thre's nothing u can or cannot do, music is art, how it sounds to u is what matters, if the sound u get projects ur original creative idea then whats the problem.
ø

*MISC CREW*

e-mail me

Originally Posted by OneOfaKind
ø

Learn a bit about theory and it will help you a ton. If you played all the scale steps as power chords, your going to have to go outside of the minor scale. The 2nd scale step doesn't have a perfect 5th.
You can do it, but on the seventh degree of a major scale you would need to play a power chord with a diminished fifth to stay in key. What you're doing now is harmonizing the scale with fifths. When you're playing scale degree 1, the fifth in your power chord is actually scale degree 5, if that makes sense. If you added scale degree 3 you would get a major/minor chord. I suggest learning to construct chords out of scales. It's pretty much what you're doing but more useful. Check it out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Do you listen to metal? lulz....
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
Hey guys, like always hope everything is goin good for all yall.

When i was laying in my bed today i was thinking. What if instead of playing every note in a minor or any other scale like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Why not try it out with power chords. I tried going from like the 1st to the 3rd to the 2nd then to the 4th and it dont sound like it would be that bad of a riff, ive tried other combinations too. It this called something? and Should i keep practicin it? Can i use power chords to with relationship to the scale pattern to make stuff up?

Thanks!

Yeah, you can do that.

Functionally speaking, all you are doing is substituting Major or Minor chords with Power chords. You're a lot closer to understanding diatonic harmony than you probably realize, and as Steven said make the last one a b5 or...you could also go back a half step and nake that a power chord instead for a bVII, and still more or less sound "in key".

Best,

Sean
You make anything you want with the 7th.
Just name it as such. Like if you made it a VIIm7b5 its still okay.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by Sean0913
Functionally speaking, all you are doing is substituting Major or Minor chords with Power chords. You're a lot closer to understanding diatonic harmony than you probably realize [...]

Absolutely, this is what people mean when they say "harmonizing the major scale." All you're doing is ignoring each chord's third.

Try harmonizing by adding each note's third and fifth and see what chords you come up with.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.