well im taking to "ye olde guitar shoppe" tommoro because its falling apart inside, it still works beautifully atm, but in a year or 2...i fear it may just fall apart, the wireing is god knows how old, and the wood work inside the body had been chipped, causing nails inside to come lose, so now the volume/tone control's are hanging off on one side.

but i was wondering...would it be worth getting a new neck pickup fitted? now im talking about somthing brand new, like a epiphone or a gibson humbucker to go in the place of the regular, neck end tele pickup.

what do you guys think?

also if you have any suggestions for pickups i could use, or even tips to ensure i get the most out of my beloved maya...well id welcome them lol

thanks for taking a bit of time to look at this thread.
Hang on a second, let me clear the wax out of my ears....Did you say NAILS? Not once in my limited experience with guitar building have I Ever heard of nails being used as a temporary Or permanent solution.

But to answer your question: Do you like the tone you're getting from your neck pickup? If not, what kind of tone are you looking for? You want to make sure that the output of the new neck pickup is balanced with the bridge pickup. For pickups, look at Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson and Fender. Look around for sound samples of pickups and see what sounds right to you.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
haha i think you mis interpreted what i said, im talking about the nails that hold the tone/volume controls onto the body, its like that on a tele...if that clarifies what i said a bit.

and thats the weird thing, i do actually like the tone, but i don't use it often (the neck pickup)
so i was wanting to experiment, and ill have a look round. cheers
^ Yeah, i was wondering the same thing.

To the OP, what kind of versatility/tone are you looking for? Rather than changing out a pickup you like, you may instead want to modify the wiring, for example the tone capacitor or the potentiometers. Perhaps add a push-pull pot or two, for more tonal variety? Just some suggestions.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
You might want to get that "nail" situation checked out...

In addition to the usual Fender/SD/Dimarzio suggestions, also check out Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups, I've heard good things about them. If you really want to replace the pickup, make sure you research the different types out there and listen to sound clips to see if they're the ones you want.
I pride myself on my humility.