Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I got a few questions.

I've always been a rock/metal guitar guy, but in the past year or two, I've been getting more into clean guitars and such. Now I'm trying to write some Reggae songs, and I'm wondering if anyone knows, good settings to get that nice clean tone on reggae strums.

Is it better with my neck pickup?
Should I add some effects like reverb or chorus?

Thanks
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
oooh okay!!! I'm not looking for a new amp of anything, just looking for ideas on how to get that sound. But thanks for the suggestion
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Last edited by d.c.guitar at Aug 3, 2011,
you're lucky. raggae is easy for guitar.

guitar -> amp

doesn't have to be a nice guitar (single coil or humbucker), doesn't have to be a nice amp (even solid state amps will work just fine). 2 things to get you closer:

1) reverb - it's even easier if your amp already has reverb. if not you can get a cheap-o unit. not too heavy on it, in the background. but it's almost better to have...

2) echo - once again, you don't have to have anything great. a digitech digital delay will do this fine enough. if you wanna be a bit picky then i'd get an analog delay, a real echo unit, or a digital delay with a 'tape'/analog setting. you'll want this real weak in the background, with very little regeneration
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Alright cool, I'll try some of this! thanks
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Quote by d.c.guitar
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I got a few questions.

I've always been a rock/metal guitar guy, but in the past year or two, I've been getting more into clean guitars and such. Now I'm trying to write some Reggae songs, and I'm wondering if anyone knows, good settings to get that nice clean tone on reggae strums.

Is it better with my neck pickup?
Should I add some effects like reverb or chorus?

Thanks

It very much depends on what type of sound your going for, Reggae guitarists are just like Rock guitarists, they all use different tones and set ups, hardly anyone is the same.

It's very much getting a good reggae rhythm and a nice clean amp sound.

If it helps, many reggae guitarist have used Les Pauls which have Humbuckers, as you probably know, humbuckers give a thicker tone.

BUT, other reggae guitarist use Tele's and Strats which use sincle coils, i prefer to play with these when playing reggae, but its all about personal preference.

Just remember it's all down to the individual, there is no hidden secret to getting a reggae tone. It's like asking for a Rock tone, there are so many ways to answer it that theres no point.

As for using effects, it's the same as any other guitar playing. Adding reverb doesn't make you more reggae, it just makes you sound like your using reverb.

The only effects you really want for reggae are Wah and Reverb and even then, it's not essential if your playing rhythm but i do suggest a wah if playing lead.

The end of the day your a percussion player in reggae, your not a guitar god, if you listen to reggae you will notice that not a lot of attention is on the guitar unless it's the lead guitar suppling fills.
It's mostly about the main rhythm section, Bass, drums, piano/keyboard.

Not a very helpfull post i know but at least i gave something.