Ok so I recently bought a line 6 spider IV 15 watt amp and it has many settings for rock and metal, but doesn't focus on blues as much, it has a great clean setting for clean blues but I'm looking for that heavier blues sound like srv and clapton kind of sound, can you suggestion me some settings to achieve this? My guitar is an american standard strat loaded with texas specials, sorry guys but I haven't had this amp to long, so I'm still a bit confused on some of the things it has haha.
Easy issue. What you want to do is set your amp on fire, walk into GC and get a real amp (ideally a Fender tube, but Vox/Orange is pretty good too). Voila! You've got your tone.

EDIT: I suppose if you were dead-set on keeping the amp, switch it to clean and crank the gain. Bridge pickups work the best. I had my Spyder III on Bass-7, Mid-6, Treble-4, but that's my personal taste.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Last edited by jwd724 at Aug 3, 2011,
Eh it's a good second amp, beats the hell out of my old one, a 10 watt peavey that only had volume, overdrive, and tone setting lol I don't know why spider get's so much shit they're actually quite good.
you wont get a good blues overdrive without a dumble.

period.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Ok so I recently bought a line 6 spider IV 15 watt amp and it has many settings for rock and metal, but doesn't focus on blues as much, it has a great clean setting for clean blues but I'm looking for that heavier blues sound like srv and clapton kind of sound, can you suggestion me some settings to achieve this? My guitar is an american standard strat loaded with texas specials, sorry guys but I haven't had this amp to long, so I'm still a bit confused on some of the things it has haha.

sorry but your amp won't nail those tones as they are both very tube amp dependant tones.

set the amp for clean and then use the overdrive/tubescreamer effect and tinker with the settings untilyou can live with it. keep in mind that eric has a mid boost in his strat when aiming for his sound. you won't really get the singing sustain so don't expect that.
I'm tinkering with it a bit, still working with it, and if I can't find the tone I'll get a pedal, but are you positive dumble will do the trick? or should I look at other pedals? Not promising I'll get one, but if is indeed a word.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I'm tinkering with it a bit, still working with it, and if I can't find the tone I'll get a pedal, but are you positive dumble will do the trick? or should I look at other pedals? Not promising I'll get one, but if is indeed a word.

oh yeah, a dumble is what you want for sure. pedals will get you dumblesque, but you dont get the fragile harmonics that a dumble will give.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

dude a Dumble is a very high end amp that SRV used they go forwell over 10 grand if you can even find one. no pedal will give you what you want with that amp. get a tube amp and then go from there.
There ARE Dumble-esque overdrives out there though. Something to look at AFTER you get a decent tube amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by monwobobbo
dude a Dumble is a very high end amp that SRV used they go forwell over 10 grand if you can even find one. no pedal will give you what you want with that amp. get a tube amp and then go from there.

There is also an effect pedal called a dumble so put that in your juice box and suck it brah. :p
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
There is also an effect pedal called a dumble so put that in your juice box and suck it brah. :p

Link pl0x? :p
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I like a nice thick blues tone and I use an epiphone valve jr as a practice amp. I frickin' love it, even at very low volume it sounds thick and natural. I use a boss blues driver for boost/od if I'm playing really quiet. But my strat is mexican and most of the time I use an old lp special. Line6 will NOT do blues.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

WTF i've been trying to help you without breaking your balls and i get this

even if there is it will cost at least twice as much as your amp and still won't help you as your amp just plain isn't capable of giving you the tones you mentioned.

whatever i'm out.
Quote by lucky1978
I like a nice thick blues tone and I use an epiphone valve jr as a practice amp. I frickin' love it, even at very low volume it sounds thick and natural. I use a boss blues driver for boost/od if I'm playing really quiet. But my strat is mexican and most of the time I use an old lp special. Line6 will NOT do blues.

I agree with the last part of this. I have a Spider 3 and I can get some great tone but there are some things that it just doesn't do well and that is a partially broken up clean or light light distortion for blues. And the tone pot that lets you pick twang/blues I find isn't very accurate you really need to listen to the song in particular and dial in a sound you think is closest. Get a nice small valve combo and crank the volume for that nice natural break up for blues.
Quote by monwobobbo
WTF i've been trying to help you without breaking your balls and i get this

even if there is it will cost at least twice as much as your amp and still won't help you as your amp just plain isn't capable of giving you the tones you mentioned.

whatever i'm out.
Chillax man it was a joke, didn't mean to offend you it's just how me and my friends mess around, sorry. Anyways, I've messed with the amp a little more, and have found some nice tones, but still not what I'm looking for is there an effect pedal I could buy to give me the tone I'm looking for, preferably cheep, roughly 65-115 dollars?
And here's a link to the dumble pedal I was talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonic-Fusion-Overdrive-Pedal-Dumble-tone-box-/280702868823?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item415b31dd57#ht_1258wt_1185
What you need is a new amp. For SRV type sounds look for an old Fender. For Clapton/Moore type sounds you want something reminiscent of a JTM45. Say, a JTM/plexi/18W clone.
You may be able to get somewhere near a BB King tone by dialling up an Americanish clean tone and just adding a tiny tiny, very tiny bit of distortion but really - you need a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ah it kills me to have to get a new one I just got this one, are you sure there's absolutely nothing I can do?
Dude it's really not worth dropping all that money on pedal when your really just going to run it through a cheap amp like a line 6. Solid-states and digital amps really don't take that nicely to drive pedals. What i would recommend doing is waiting a while and saving some money for something like a used Fender Hot rod deluxe or Blues junior. This with a Tubescreamer and your strat should give you a great budget blues tone.
Quote by redandwhite12
Dude it's really not worth dropping all that money on pedal when your really just going to run it through a cheap amp like a line 6. Solid-states and digital amps really don't take that nicely to drive pedals. What i would recommend doing is waiting a while and saving some money for something like a used Fender Hot rod deluxe or Blues junior. This with a Tubescreamer and your strat should give you a great budget blues tone.

Thanks man, I guess I'll save up and wait about a year so my dad won't get pissed at me lol I'll most likely get a fender, unless I find a cheap marshall that is (;
Return the Spider, throw in 30 bucks more, and get a Vox AC4TV. Done.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Ah it kills me to have to get a new one I just got this one, are you sure there's absolutely nothing I can do?

if it was as easy as getting a pedal to duplicate either of their tones there wouldn't be tons of threads like yours looking for those tones. tone chasing is often expensive and elusive. there is a lot to be learned from trying to get someone elses tone but often it proves to be a fools errand for those who can't settle for close enough.
Quote by souperman08
Return the Spider, throw in 30 bucks more, and get a Vox AC4TV. Done.

Surely its still covered by the return policy.

Quote by monwobobbo
tone chasing is often expensive and elusive.

+1

I think quite a lot of us here have dropped a small fortune on our rigs alone just to chase that sound in our heads.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If possible, return the amp. I got a Fender Blues Junior for $300 used and by tone snob accounts it sounds nothing like what you want... But to my ear, and yours I'm guessing its close enough.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Thanks man, I guess I'll save up and wait about a year so my dad won't get pissed at me lol I'll most likely get a fender, unless I find a cheap marshall that is (;

Crate V-Series get the Marshall blues sound pretty well and cost a bit less than tube Fenders.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
Crate V-Series get the Marshall blues sound pretty well and cost a bit less than tube Fenders.

I disagree... The V33 I had was great, very close to Vox cleans... But the gain was pretty bad and definitely nowhere near an old Marshall. What Marshall blues sound are you referring to? There's been more than one over the years.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!