i have hard time trying to get my guitar to somthing that i want to, like i have a beat in my head, i cant deliver to the guitar, is theres somthing i can learn to help me do this?
train your ear. train it very well.

not for nothing, dude, but you really ask a lot of questions. and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but it makes me wonder -- when you ask a question and get answers, do you really invest the time in study and application of whatever answer you get? because it kind of seems like you're asking questions for the sake of asking questions, and once you get your answer, you move on to the next topic. i understand that there's a lot you want to learn, and that's very admirable -- but you need to spend more time training, studying, and applying.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
My number one rule for playing the guitar is go slow: break your beat in your head down play it slowly to begin with to find a good rhythm then speed up if you have to. Also just tapping the beat out with your hand works very well then bring across to your guitar.
now im not saying what i study for is that i master it lol, but i pratice for about 8-12 hours a day, and i really pratice alot and i notice when i pratice i come to a problem that i dont understand so then i ask on this fourm. sorry if im asking to much questions at a time.
Quote by harvestkingx
sorry if im asking to much questions at a time.

that's not the issue at all. if you're practicing 8-12 hours a day, and you're asking so many questions at once, it leads me to believe that your practice time is being used very inefficiently. if you're worrying about augmented seventh chords while simultaneously dealing with difficulty in playing what you hear, it seems you're biting off far too much than you can chew, and you're not going to benefit from it.

structure your time. get the basics down first.
basics meaning? lol and i wouldnt say ineffectivly, as i really got use to finger picking and i got use to finger tapping with the two fingers ( on my right hand) and and everyday i pratice my scales and my chords, and try to figure out a different voicing chord/or a different chord all together, so i woudnt say ineffectly but i wouldnt say super effective too. but i also agree on the biting more then i can chew

EDIT: actually the more i think about it, the more i think that ear training is abit to advance at the moment lol
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by harvestkingx
i have hard time trying to get my guitar to somthing that i want to, like i have a beat in my head, i cant deliver to the guitar, is theres somthing i can learn to help me do this?

Yep, it's called music. Get experience playing it on your guitar before attempting to create it on your guitar.

it generally takes awhile, so be patient, and enjoy the process.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by harvestkingx
basics meaning? lol and i wouldnt say ineffectivly, as i really got use to finger picking and i got use to finger tapping with the two fingers ( on my right hand) and and everyday i pratice my scales and my chords, and try to figure out a different voicing chord/or a different chord all together, so i woudnt say ineffectly but i wouldnt say super effective too. but i also agree on the biting more then i can chew

EDIT: actually the more i think about it, the more i think that ear training is abit to advance at the moment lol

so you know and understand chord construction, and can name the notes in the scales you're practicing? because that's basics.

GM is right -- you're trying to rush it. get more experience first.
Quote by harvestkingx

Ear training is the absolute MOST basic thing.

You're born with the ability to hear. Now all you have to do is learn to hear different intervals and know where some pitches are on your instrument (which will come with time).

If you're looking to ear train, good-ear.com . It's perfect for ear training. Knowing where pitches are on your guitar will come with time.
yah i know how to construct a chord, and i know the notes iam hittng when iam playing scale.

i know about intervals, i know about triads, i know diatoic triads aswell, i actually pratice those when i make a up riffs lol

edit: above yah what i meant by ear traning i ment, delivering te message to my guitar is abit to advance for me at the moment (wrong choice of words i picked)

but ill give that a website a shot.
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by harvestkingx
yah i know how to construct a chord, and i know the notes iam hittng when iam playing scale.

i know about intervals, i know about triads, i know diatoic triads aswell, i actually pratice those when i make a up riffs lol

That's not ear training.

Can you HEAR the chord qualities? If I played a chord for you, could you tell me if it was major, minor, Major 7, Minor 7, Dominant, diminished, augmented, what inversion (if any), etc.? Could you name all the intervals I play for you without touching your instrument.

That's what ear training is.
Quote by harvestkingx
lol i was talking aelionwolf, but no i dont lol

There's your problem then...if you don't know what things sound like, how the hell are you supposed to know when to use them?

Can you imagine a chef trying to cook without knowing what any of his ingredients tasted like?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's your problem then...if you don't know what things sound like, how the hell are you supposed to know when to use them?

Can you imagine a chef trying to cook without knowing what any of his ingredients tasted like?

lol good point, but yah i think i went into an area where im not ready yet (making my messag to deliver through the guitar) sometimes i get to ahead of myself lol, but ty aeolionwolf and thanks to everyone else.
Also, this may seem obvious, but the ability to shred or ten finger tap has no bearing on your knowledge of music theory.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The old chef anecdote! haha love it.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by AlanHB
Also, this may seem obvious, but the ability to shred or ten finger tap has no bearing on your knowledge of music theory.

lol that wasnt the point though, the point was that my praticing does pay off.
do some ear training on the website sugested or musictheory.net, there are interval, chord and scale exercises for ear training. It will come with time

Another suggestion i could give is to try to learn to sing. Not necesary to be great opera singer, just try to sing notes of scales after playing them on guitar. It might not sound great, but it helps developing your musical hearing, ability not only to recognise how far apart are notes you hear in your head (intervals), but which notes exactly are they

once again i repeat, it will come in time
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.