I've been playing acoustic guitar for just over a year now and compared to the average joe, I'm alright. But I'm looking to get into electric. I got a used Fender Starcaster for $30 from Guitar Center. I knew it wasn't a great guitar, but hell, it was $30. I've been too poor to get effects or anything, so I barely used it. Now I've got a job and am looking to get back into it. My friend has an Ephiphone Special II and he's willing to sell it for $100. He's got a cheap amp and I might get him to throw that in too. Is the Epiphone significantly better than the Starcaster? Especially because I'm pretty sure there's some stuff wrong with the Starcaster. Would it be worth buying this kid's Epiphone? Input would be well appreciated.
Yes the epiphone is better than the starcaster by far, but you can get a better epiphone used off of craigslist for around the same price, I found an epiphone sg g 400 (closest you can get to a gibson) for $125 bucks! But still you can go for that, they're way better than the starcaster.
yea check into craigslist or ebay. you could get a decent LTD, Schecter, Epiphone, or MIM Fender for a little over $100

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Yes the epiphone is better than the starcaster by far, but you can get a better epiphone used off of craigslist for around the same price, I found an epiphone sg g 400 (closest you can get to a gibson) for $125 bucks! But still you can go for that, they're way better than the starcaster.

What are you basing this on? I would say a standard MIM strat is better in quality than the Chinese made EP specials and EP 100s. Just better quality control. However, some of the other EPs are nice, but those are usually $400 and up.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Ok, i found a MIM (that means made in mexico, right?) Stratocaster for $125. That would be way better, correct?
Quote by mereed
Ok, i found a MIM (that means made in mexico, right?) Stratocaster for $125. That would be way better, correct?

Yeah, MIM means made in Mexico.

Honestly, its up to you. I doesn't matter what guitar you get, what matters is the quality. Play a bunch of guitars and get the one that you like. Also, if the guitar you really like is out of your budget, wait until you can afford it. It's not worth getting second best when you just have to save up a bit to get "the one".
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I suggest your second guitar should be different than your first, but I wouldn't pay $100 for a used Epi II. $75 if its in good shape and you really like it. Since it's your friend, ask to borrow it for a week so you can decide. If the cheap amp doesnt do anything your current amp doesn't do, you will probably never use it, but its nice to have a spare.
$30 for the Starcaster was a good move!
Quote by stonyman65
Yeah, MIM means made in Mexico.

Honestly, its up to you. I doesn't matter what guitar you get, what matters is the quality. Play a bunch of guitars and get the one that you like. Also, if the guitar you really like is out of your budget, wait until you can afford it. It's not worth getting second best when you just have to save up a bit to get "the one".

This is the lamest advice I've ever seen. It's clear the TS has a limited budget who doesn't know all that much about electrics

TS get the MIM strat it's a fair price for a MIM strat if it turns out you hate it.

You can always flip it for what you'd have into it.

Far as Epiphones go they're pretty much rubbish until you get to about $400 or more on the new market.

If you decide to wait until you have more to spend $300-500 they're some really nice guitars out there that aren't on the radar if you have a very limited budget.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Is the Epiphone SG 400 Special good? I'm pretty sure I've seen it at guitarcenter for like 350 but its on craigslist for 100. Would that or the Strat be better?
Ok the Epiphone has Gibson Pickups on it, which I found out are expensive. The Strats pickups aren't specified. Is having 59 Gibson Pickups a huge advantage?
ur amp sucks or u dont have an amp so it doesnt matter.... lol... jk
but seriously a epi under 300ish is crap much better idea to get the fender mim
also ur amp should be as expensive or more than ur guitar lol -.- cuz the amp is arguably more important when it comes to tone.
but if u dont care what u sound like then u should just concentrate on getting a sweet guitar
Yeah my amp sucks, but I was always planning on getting a better one. I just figured getting a quality guitar first is more important.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
also ur amp should be as expensive or more than ur guitar lol -.- cuz the amp is arguably more important when it comes to tone.
but if u dont care what u sound like then u should just concentrate on getting a sweet guitar

This isn't necessarily true; it depends on what kind of player you are. Since you're just starting out its not necessary to buy a high quality amp because you're still figuring out your musical direction. In your case I would recommend a decent quality modeling amp (like a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr) so you get a solid range of tones for a relatively low cost. There are other great modeling amps on the market (I'm definitely no expert) so you might do a bit more research.

As far as spending more on an amp than a guitar, my main guitar was $1200 but my main amp was $600. The reason I haven't spent a ton on a boutique quality amp is because I don't need it; the Peavey 6505 does everything I want/need it to do.

Until you figure out exactly what direction you're heading musically I think its best to stick with the budget amps and guitars. The others have given you some good advice as well. Soak it up like a sponge.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by mereed

For $125.00 ? That's one hell of a deal and is way better than a Starcaster or a Epiphone LP Special. Go for it, you won't regret it. Just make sure you go and have a setup done.
Quote by Vecheka
This isn't necessarily true; it depends on what kind of player you are. Since you're just starting out its not necessary to buy a high quality amp because you're still figuring out your musical direction. In your case I would recommend a decent quality modeling amp (like a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr) so you get a solid range of tones for a relatively low cost. There are other great modeling amps on the market (I'm definitely no expert) so you might do a bit more research.

As far as spending more on an amp than a guitar, my main guitar was $1200 but my main amp was $600. The reason I haven't spent a ton on a boutique quality amp is because I don't need it; the Peavey 6505 does everything I want/need it to do.

Until you figure out exactly what direction you're heading musically I think its best to stick with the budget amps and guitars. The others have given you some good advice as well. Soak it up like a sponge.

thts why i said arguably.... lol... i used to have a jem777dy and a vetta 212 they were both around the same price and they sounded great together