I just bought a Marshall MG30X, and I plugged in my guitars, and no sound comes out. I tried three different cables and two different guitars. All of them work perfectly with my old amps, it's just this new one that's giving me problems.

I also tried to plug in headphones to see if it was a volume issue, but there's no sound from those. There's not even feedback. The lights turn on, but nothing else happens.

Is there some dumb solution, or will I have to go exchange my new amp? Thanks.
man, I don't know that amp too well, and I don't know you, but I'll ask - you have the gain turned up a little, right? post gain?
I literally cranked every single knob at once and *nothing* happened. When I turn the amp off, there's that 'popping' noise you'd expect, but when it's on, there's no sound at all =/
Quote by ZombicidalMan
I just bought a Marshall MG30X, and I plugged in my guitars, and no sound comes out.

thats the best possible outcome.
mojostompboxes.com
Ah shit, it's... fixed. Haha, thanks for the help. I don't know why it didn't work before, but it definitely was doing cray stuff for a little bit.

Thanks so much for the gain tip, I'm an amp newbie =P
Quote by greeny23
thats the best possible outcome.

Damn, it seems like any amp I mention on this site is treated like a piece of shit. Please keep in mind this is all I could afford, and I was running a tiny little Line 6 Spider before, so...
Quote by ZombicidalMan
Damn, it seems like any amp I mention on this site is treated like a piece of shit. Please keep in mind this is all I could afford, and I was running a tiny little Line 6 Spider before, so...

You went and replaced a terrible amp with a terrible amp. What a waste of money.
Quote by Sputnik1
You went and replaced a terrible amp with a terrible amp. What a waste of money.

lol, that bad, huh? Maybe I'll just take it back then and get something better
yea i would say if your serious to stay away from line 6 or cheap marshalls. Take a look at maybe blackstar or a vox or even a fender. i have yet to play a fender amp that didnt work well.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
yea i would say if your serious to stay away from line 6 or cheap marshalls. Take a look at maybe blackstar or a vox or even a fender. i have yet to play a fender amp that didnt work well.

ever play a Frontman?

EDIT: Frontmen have good clean tones and decent low gain tones, but they aren't good for heavy rock/metal
better than an MG though
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by ZombicidalMan
I just bought a Marshall MG30X

that was your first mistake...

i think you should just return it if it doesnt work
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Aug 3, 2011,
can you afford to put any more money at all with it?
at that price, you could look at the Laney Cub8 or Peavey Vyper 30 much better than the MG.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm definitely going to return this piece of shit, haha. At the store it sounded great (I thought), but bringing one home, it sounded thin and near-garbage. Then I plug my distortion pedal in and it sounds like a dying cat...

For a little more information, I play a lot of metal and rock. I use Standard a lot on one guitar, and Dropped B on my other. I've been playing for about a year, but I'm doing pretty well, and can play Death, Cynic, and some Protest The Hero (****in' sweeps, man). I am very willing to put more money into an amp. I won't be playing huge gigs, so I imagine that a 30Watt may do, and a 50Watt would probably be best. I'd like to use it at home and for jamming, and it needs to be compatible with a distortion pedal.

Also, a lot of people recommend used amps, or amps that aren't made anymore, but I have a limited selection. Newer amp suggestions would be preferred. The most I'd like to spend right now is $500. Thanks a lot.
Where are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Northern Canada. We use sled dogs to go buy our guitar amps, lul

Basically I have two music store options - Long And McQuade, and some local place (where I bought this amp). The pawn shops here have terrible selection for guitar gear.
TAKE IT BACK AND GET SOMETHING ELSE BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

Trust me, you'll hate it when the world of amps gets opened up to you.
Quote by ZombicidalMan
I am taking it back, I hate it now -_-

Good choice.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
[Trouble With New Marshall Amp]
"I hope its not.."

*facepalm*
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by ZombicidalMan
I am taking it back, I hate it now -_-

Just make sure you don't get a line 6 spider.

At least get a Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr.
Its a good thing you popped by this forums right after you bought it. I'm sure you wouldn't have taken it back if you didn't.

Vypyrs or Roland Cubes would do you a lot better than an MG. All an MG is is a giant paperweight.

Heck, I'd choose the Vox Pathfinder series over an MG any day. Those Vox PF's are great practice amps.
This forum:
1% people who know what the **** they're talking about (Mainly Cathbard)
4% people who want answers to their questions
95% Bandwagoning and dumbassery.

The Marshall MG30 (and 50 and 15) are not the terrible amps that people in this forum make them out to be. You must remember that these are cheap amps, while that doesn't mean they are bad amps, it means that most of the people who buy them don't know what the **** they are doing with them, and because they can't get the sounds they want out of their amp, it's their equipment's fault. Honestly, I've seen a MG50 used better than a Peavy 6505+ because one player knew how to use it and one player didn't know what the **** he was doing. It doesn't matter how good your equipment is if you don't know how to use it.

Though to be honest, after trying out a Line 6 Spider IV in a GC, I was not overly impressed.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
This forum:
1% people who know what the **** they're talking about (Mainly Cathbard)
4% people who want answers to their questions
95% Bandwagoning and dumbassery.

The Marshall MG30 (and 50 and 15) are not the terrible amps that people in this forum make them out to be. You must remember that these are cheap amps, while that doesn't mean they are bad amps, it means that most of the people who buy them don't know what the **** they are doing with them, and because they can't get the sounds they want out of their amp, it's their equipment's fault. Honestly, I've seen a MG50 used better than a Peavy 6505+ because one player knew how to use it and one player didn't know what the **** he was doing. It doesn't matter how good your equipment is if you don't know how to use it.

Though to be honest, after trying out a Line 6 Spider IV in a GC, I was not overly impressed.

So what you're saying is that there is still better amps but we shouldn't tell him his opinion because all he has to do is dial in the tone perfectly?

We are telling him buy a better amp, because there are better amps out there for the same price. It doesn't matter how good you are at your eq settings or how good you are at your instrument, its just common sense to try to get the most out of your money.
Quote by Dmaj7
So what you're saying is that there is still better amps but we shouldn't tell him his opinion because all he has to do is dial in the tone perfectly?

We are telling him buy a better amp, because there are better amps out there for the same price. It doesn't matter how good you are at your eq settings or how good you are at your instrument, its just common sense to try to get the most out of your money.

+1 especially when he is already having problems with it working.