Hey, I'm pretty new to picking out guitars myself (especially if they are used). To make a long story short, I went to my local Sam Ash one day and found a used guitar for sale at (what I think) is a very reasonable price. But there are, what seem like, some minor things wrong and I want to know if it is worth it.

The guitar in question is a Used ESP LTD MH-301 FR in Transparent blue for $250 USD.

1. There is a small amount of rust on the bridge part of the FR, on the screws/nuts behind the fine tuners.

2. The bridge EMG pickup has rusty screws and the outer plastic edges are cracked.

It sounds good through the amps I played at Sam Ash, but I would like to know if these things would have a negative effect in the long run.

I've seen other people suggest swapping the HZ pick-ups for an 81/85 combo and swapping the Stock Floyd Rose for an Official Floyd Rose but I feel like that would be a little too expensive for me. So is this guitar worth the $250?

P.S. - I was planning on trading in my Epiphone Les Paul Special II for it. Smart move?

Thank guys.
PSN - Boosted928
no problems really. you may have to replace the pickup ring at some point but that is nothing. as for the rust well the last owner sweated alot it won'tlook pretty but won't really hurt it either. any part on a FR can be replaced if you really feel the need. for $250 it's not bad and definitely better that what you have. as for pickups wellthat's your decision according to your tastes.
Quote by monwobobbo
no problems really. you may have to replace the pickup ring at some point but that is nothing. as for the rust well the last owner sweated alot it won'tlook pretty but won't really hurt it either. any part on a FR can be replaced if you really feel the need. for $250 it's not bad and definitely better that what you have. as for pickups wellthat's your decision according to your tastes.

Pick-up rings shouldn't be too expensive I guess. I'm just concerned because I'm a teenager who wants a new guitar and has to save up for a car, so that makes a really tight budget. As long as it won't make the FR harder to use or anything then I don't see a problem. I like the pick-ups. I know they aren't the greatest, but especially for $250 they are better than what you can find on other guitars.

Regarding the Epiphone, I have a PRS and Sterling Musicman as my other two electrics and felt like swapping the odd one out for something bigger and better and I felt like this would be a good opportunity.
PSN - Boosted928
Last edited by boosted928 at Aug 3, 2011,
If you can get $100 or more credit for your Epi II, that's a pretty good deal. There are millions of them around and they dont get more valuable over time so its not a loss to let it go. If you find yourself regretting the trade later you can find another Epi pretty easily! The rust is only cosmetic. A replacement ring is only a few bucks.
Nice s/n OP.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+