Well the title sums it up. I want a guitar that can play some heavy gain stuff such as bullet for my valentines, A7X and atreyu but also some pop punk rock like sum 41, boys like girls. I also want it to have a mid gain tone such as linkin park. I also want it to be able to play some clean acoustic for t-swift songs. Any suggestions? All are appreciated.
The EMG set will be geared more towards heavier, high gain stuffs, but you can get decent cleans and mid gain sounds out of them.

I've never tried a SD JB/59 setup, but I think they would preform a little better for what you want.
I'd get something like a Custom 5 / 59.

You're going to have to compromise though. passives won't nail the heavier stuff, but actives won't nail the lower gain stuff.

The most important thing is to have an amp that can do what you want. That matters far more than pickups do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

You're going to have to compromise though. passives won't nail the heavier stuff, but actives won't nail the lower gain stuff.

The most important thing is to have an amp that can do what you want. That matters far more than pickups do.

From my experience the Custom 5 sounded little different to the 59, which is why my Ibanez has a matched 59 set.

TS, try a JB/59.
Quote by Offworld92

thats so false about passives, theres alot that can nail the heavier stuff with ease.

and yeah what kind of amp do u have TS, i have heard that emg's dont sound good with a solid state but IDK how true that is.
I don't really got a high end amp just a small peavey vyper 15 watt. I use to have line 6 spider 3 75 but it just wasnt right.
EMG=Sterile, disappointingly toneless, but very heavy sounding, and somehow the choice of many pro guitarists. I couldn't ever dial really good cleans with an 81 in the neck, but that's something Metallica can't even do. Maybe there's some tone in the 60, doubt it.

JB/59=Will probably do everything but your metalcore very excellent, and probably even the metalcore if you have a good amp. I agree with the other user with a custom 5, it's a pickup designed for drop tuning. And I higggggghly recommend the '59 in the neck. Not only are the cleans great, but it has to be the most versatile pickup I've ever come across.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I own an ec-1000 with 81/69 pickups. My only amp is a 30w peavy Vyper as well, and I gotta say, I'm not too impressed. Though I have yet to try them out on a nice tube halfstack, an I'm sure that's where they'll really shine.

As for the jb/59's, I've tried them on the same amp, and they're freaking beautiful. I play metal and they did more than fine for me. And of course you can get some truly soulful stuff out of them.

Try them both out just to be sure though. To each their own, you know?
I have the Seymour Jb/59 on my eclipse and i can easily get some sweet distortion and nice cleans.
Quote by ampoverload
thats so false about passives, theres alot that can nail the heavier stuff with ease.

I didn't mean that passives couldn't get heavy tone, I meant that they couldn't nail active tone, which bands like Atreyu or BFMV are known for. Which is true. No passive will ever sound like an active. If it could, what would be the point of actives existing?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Take a look at D'activators maybe?
Bong Rips