I'm planing on getting a new amp within the next few months. I am looking for something with a good rock/metal tone and something that would be good with pedals. I will probably end up spending $400 on it, so I was looking at the Blackstar ht5 which I read is a hybrid. so is there anything bad about that or is it just not as good as a all tube amp?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Actually I have a hybrid and I'm getting an all tube when I get the money. I've got a Marshall VS100 halfstack. It's alright but it doesn't have the raw power that the tubes put out. Don't know about that one but tubes will always have a much better tone.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
The word hybrid encompasses many types of different designs. The HT5 is analog SS components combined with tubes. It uses a tubescreamer type circuit to get it's distortion. A lot of people like the sound. The clean channel sounds about like a Valve Jr but breaks up sooner.

Some amps use a tube for tone shaping like the Valvestate and the Vox series but are mainly analog and digital SS respectively. The Fender XD series have a DSP front end, one preamp tube, and a tube power amp. The XD is my prefered hybrid amp. There are some amps with analog SS preamps and tube power amps.
So does a blackstar ht5 have any tubes in it?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
I have a Randall Rh150 g3, it has all solid state except one 12at7 in the power section.
It's subjective. All tube amps have both preamp tubes and power tubes. The preamp tubes are what give you that sound, the power tubes are what make it loud. Hybrid amps usually only have preamp tubes. The power section is solid state. However there are some new amps coming out with a tube power section and a solid state preamp section (Like the Line 6 Spider Valve and the Marhsall JDM-1)

The argument for hybrid amps is that you get the same tube tone (or close to a tube tone) but have a solid state power section so you don't have to replace the power tubes.

However, amps with solid state power sections (whether solid state or hybrid) will not have anywhere near the volume of an all tube amp.

As a general rule, a 100w tube amp is about equivalent in volume to a 300w solid state or hybrid amp. Solid state amps sound better at lower volumes, but tend to clip and break up when pushed hard. Tube amps don't sound all that good when at low volumes but when played loud they do sound great.

To answer your question, I would look at a used Marhsall AVT series amp or a Peavey Valve King. The AVT is hybrid and will give you some wicked Marhsall tones if you know how to use it. The Valve King is all tube, kind of an entry level tube amp.
Also, Randall makes some awesome hybrid amps for metal. If you want a high gain tone from a hybrid amp, Randall is the way to go, but those can be a little expensive.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Aug 3, 2011,
There is more info on this in one of the stickies. You should read that
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by stonyman65
To answer your question, I would look at a used Marhsall AVT series amp or a Peavey Valve King. The AVT is hybrid and will give you some wicked Marhsall tones if you know how to use it. The Valve King is all tube, kind of an entry level tube amp.
Also, Randall makes some awesome hybrid amps for metal. If you want a high gain tone from a hybrid amp, Randall is the way to go, but those can be a little expensive.

I found my Valvestate stack for $550 altogether. 300 for the head, 250 for the cab. Not bad for a good gig and practice amp. Defiantly loud enough.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
I found my Valvestate stack for $550 altogether. 300 for the head, 250 for the cab. Not bad for a good gig and practice amp. Defiantly loud enough.

I see so many conflicting opinions on these amps from "hardly better to MGs" to "pretty good, for the price". I've been sort of half looking into them but have been put off by all the uncertainty.
not all hybrids are the same. many recent amps have 1 12AX7 tube in them that supposedly gives it a tube sound. honestly in most cases not so much. the tube is never run at full voltage so you don't get the full benifits. as mentioned some have power section tubes with a digital or solid state preamp. once again unless really cranked you kinda lose out on the total sound. a few have a total tube preamp which willgive you that saturated distortion sound. as for a hybid not being as loud as a full tube well that really depends onthe design. the ones with just the one tube in the preamp probably not, the ones with the power tubes will be just as loud. my Legend (late 70s boutique amp most famously used by zz to on elimanator) has an all tube front end and a solid state power section. it can keep up with any number of all tube amps and at times can be louder than a same wattage tube amp. of course it uses very high end electronics (for the time) which most solid state amps don't.