For some reason it's seeming like the music I'm playing (improve) is Mathematical or predestined. As far as with out a back track at least. It seems like im going over the same old scales and patterns over and over and over and over again and again.
Is there anyway or tips to break out of that shell and play more from the soul?
study and play more music, practice phrasing, and train your ear. basically, it seems to me that the problem is that you're not playing the guitar -- you're letting the guitar play you.

also, i don't think the problem has anything to do with mathematics. the music of bach is very mathematical, and it's not at all boring -- it's actually quite driven.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
study and play more music, practice phrasing, and train your ear. basically, it seems to me that the problem is that you're not playing the guitar -- you're letting the guitar play you.

Don't TRY to play, when you do you try not to step outside the bounds of the holy scale-- which leads you to play the same notes in the same sequences over and over. Relax, start with a good tempo/rhythm and build off of that. Don't try to go fancy all at once, you will fail, build open what you're playing every time you repeat it.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Mathematical? I'll respond to this with one of my favorite quotes on the creative process:

My freedom thus consists in my moving about within the narrow frame that I have assigned myself for each one of my undertakings.

I shall go even further: my freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint, diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one's self of the chains that shackle the spirit.

In fact, I might go so far as to say your problem may be that you've given yourself too much freedom.
Quote by iancmtaylor
Don't TRY to play, when you do you try not to step outside the bounds of the holy scale-- which leads you to play the same notes in the same sequences over and over. Relax, start with a good tempo/rhythm and build off of that. Don't try to go fancy all at once, you will fail, build open what you're playing every time you repeat it.

...are you suggesting that conscious effort should be dismissed?

rhythms are natural, up until you need to start writing them. pitch consciousness is something that has to be learned. he's better advised to focus first on pitch, then rhythm.

let us see what the rest of the forum has to say on the topic.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
...are you suggesting that conscious effort should be dismissed?

rhythms are natural, up until you need to start writing them. pitch consciousness is something that has to be learned. he's better advised to focus first on pitch, then rhythm.

let us see what the rest of the forum has to say on the topic.

Not altogether, of course not, but it seems to me that he is trying to sound 'as good as possible', and to him that means "It seems like im going over the same old scales and patterns over and over and over and over again and again."

He is too tight, wants to only do things that make him sound "For some reason it's seeming like the music I'm playing (improve) is Mathematical or predestined." But he doesn't realize that he is playing this way, that he WANTS to be creative in this way.

If he does't want to sound this way, he needs to stop concentrating on scales and licks. When I improve I THINK through what I want to do next. I think "ok, I'm here, I want some tension, let's add this" I'm not thinking about which portion of a scale I want to use, its all moving from whatever I have to whatever I feel I want.

So, conscious thought removed? No, but he needs to stop thinking so much on scales, and until he starts to feel his music, many of his thoughts will direct him to playing in a way he find unsatisfying, mathematical.

Now, as has been said, mathematical music isn't 'bad', just that he does not like what he makes. I believe he is using the term 'mathematical' in a way that it sounds repetitive and emotionless.

Perhaps a response from Mr. unforgiven is needed.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by nmitchell076

In fact, I might go so far as to say your problem may be that you've given yourself too much freedom.

Stanislavsky?

Only slightly related but, whenever I have a musical block, I listen to the music furthest away from what I want to write. Even if I hate it, I still do it and think 'Why do I hate this?' Then I come back to my songwriting frame of mind and try to be more open minded. Use dissonances. They are your friend.
Listen to the song I have in my sig. It was an improvisation I did one night when my brother was falling asleep (we sleep in the same room). All I did was tune to drop D and start moving around on the Dmaj scale on the high D string. The open D and A string give a strong tonal background, and the melody never leaves Dmaj. I can play around with this for hours, making infinite variations, its very fun.

Can't really give much advice without knowing what your music sounds like, all we can to is provide examples and general advice :/
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

When I first clicked this thread.... I was interested in mathematical concepts in music....

Then it was something entirely different...

So, you feel stuck in a rut?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I thougth you were going to have some Paul Gilbert thing going, where he would take a random scale and play the notes in a mathmatical order to come up with new lick ideas :P!