I bought an Marshall MG30X today... huge mistake I followed the Marshall name like a sheep and now feel very... foolish. Needless to say I'm taking it back tomorrow and looking to find an amp that isn't a total piece of shit.

So, does anyone have a few suggestions for a relatively cheap amp? I'm looking for an amp that's, say, under $500. It should be big enough to do small gigs, but it'll be mainly a garage band/jamming session/practice amp. It has to be compatible with a distortion pedal, good for rhythm and lead, and that's honestly about it. I prefer fiddling around with knobs to get a perfect tone than just pressing a single button.

I mostly play metal, but honestly just an amp with a good sound is perfect. Anything beats what I have now... Hopefully there's a couple good amps out there people can suggest
Last edited by ZombicidalMan at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by ticktockboom
What You Need Is A 6505+ 112 Combo

I was about to suggest this.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Bugera 6262 212 combo. Better cleans than the 6505+, still durable (all the durability issues are long gone), and great heavy tone.
Quote by ticktockboom
What You Need Is A 6505+ 112 Combo

+1 I guess. At that price that's pretty much what you'd get for a metal amp.

Or if you're into effects along with it, maybe a Vypyr Tube 60
Hey DBD, how's my sig?

And we need more info. Read the stickies TS.
Sweet, I got quoted in a signature. I'll be forever honoured and shamed.

The Bugera looks perfect for what I want, but no stores near me carry them, or at least not that model. I'm basically limited to Marshall, Fender, Line 6, Orange, Traynor, Roland, and Mesa Boogie. Mesa and Orange are too expensive of course. Not to be a picky bitch or anything, I just would rather buy an amp at a place near me.

Do you need to know my guitar info or anything?
crate 212 has the best tone of all the combos for a great price i can even say it has a boogie like sound, obviusly it is not a boogie
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by ZombicidalMan

The Bugera looks perfect for what I want, but no stores near me carry them, or at least not that model. I'm basically limited to Marshall, Fender, Line 6, Orange, Traynor, Roland, and Mesa Boogie. Mesa and Orange are too expensive of course. Not to be a picky bitch or anything, I just would rather buy an amp at a place near me.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll find a better one someday...

Yeah, what guitar do you have?
Quote by ZombicidalMan

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

You might not like how dark and saturated the 6505(+) is.There's a crapload of amplifiers out there.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 3, 2011,
It's cool, use it while it lasts.

And I use two guitars... a Jackson JS32T King V, which I have .11 strings on, and I keep in Standard or D. I use it more or less to play, like, Pink Floyd, Megadeth, Cynic, and Death. So it's my 'shredding' and solo guitar. My second guitar is a PRS SE Custom with .12s, and I keep it in Dropped B pretty much always. Mainly for sludge metal, you know?

As you can see, having a 15 Watt Spider is like... a crime, with the PRS. Hell, even the Jackson needs better.
Could you order an amp?
Quote by dante_3_16
crate 212 has the best tone of all the combos for a great price i can even say it has a boogie like sound, obviusly it is not a boogie

My crate v18 was a nice little amp, not great for metal but on a whole level above my crappy starter amp. Got it for $189 shipped, and within 18 months the OT had fried. For what I paid it was awesome, but even so I''m wary of crate now.

Quote by ZombicidalMan
... Mainly for sludge metal, you know?

As you can see, having a 15 Watt Spider is like... a crime, with the PRS. Hell, even the Jackson needs better.

Sludge metal is the shiz. Are you looking for a tight sound or something looser and, for lack of a better word, sludgier?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 3, 2011,
Okay, so following that little noob guide, here's my info...

My current budget is anywhere from $200-500, which leaves it relatively open (I think). I won't be needing a $1200 Verellen anytime soon.

The genres I play are rock and metal. The rock I stick with is mainly Progressive-ish, so, Pink Floyd and King Crimson, or also post-rock like GY!BE. Sometimes I'll dabble with punk or post-hardcore, but it's really not that important.

Metal wise? I like to play all metal. I'll just leave it at that. But, my main genre is sludge metal. Bands like Baroness, Isis, Down, Neurosis, Sleep, Mastodon, Kyuss, Mouth Of The Architect, Pelican, etc. An amp that's great for this would be ideal

I haven't been in a band in a while, but I'm definitely going to get one up soon. So, I would be playing small gigs and garage sessions, and maybe a little practice. Sometimes I'll have a drummer, but others I might not. Nothing terribly serious, you know?

Closest 'big' city is Prince George, BC, but let me say, the music stores here are sh!t. So, we'll go with Vancouver. And current gear is up there somewhere ^
i havent played one, but i have heard some good things about the smaller amps by blackstar, one of those may fit in your price range if you can find a dealer
The 333/XXX is a solid amp to look at as well, brighter than the 6505+, and does the low/med gain better. Still pretty saturated. You could get a JCM800 clone, an overdrive and a distortion box for death metal, would hit Megadeth pretty well.

If you look at the Crate, look at the V33, it'll stay clean at high volumes, and would be able to fake the high gain better then the 18.

EDIT: Oh, that changes everything. Get a Laney. GH. I don't think you could afford though. Close.

JCM800 still holds true
Sleep FTW

I wouldn't want a 6505+ for sludge. Too saturated.

The JCM800 with a heavy front boost/distortion would do awesome. Or clone of.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 3, 2011,
Tight sound is not a requirement. For lack of a better word, yes, 'sludgier' would be excellent. I love the sound Pelican has, because they have some really tight rhythm, but they also get this muddy tone behind it. I don't want to be a rip-off of these artists, but any amp that can do a similar sound is great.

And ordering an amp online sounds like a great idea at this point =P
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
EDIT: Oh, that changes everything. Get a Laney. GH. I don't think you could afford though. Close.

JCM800 still holds true
Sleep FTW

I wouldn't want a 6505+ for sludge. Too saturated.

The JCM800 with a heavy front boost/distortion would do awesome. Or clone of.

This is seriously helpful, and there's actually a store that carries Laney not terribly far away.

Now, just to ask, because I'd like to keep my options open, are there any other amps that you can think of? I'll write then down and go on an epic amp quest.
If you get a good amp you shouldn't need a distortion pedal.....the Peavey XXX is a really good choice. But if your gonna buy an amp with a killer drive channel pick up an OD and ditch the Dirt pedal
Peavey Windsor is a jcm800 clone. You can find a 120w head for $200 in the states. Do you have craigslist up there? Search for it. Then you would have plenty left over for a cab and pedals to help dial in exactly what you want.
Peavey Butcher was supposedly almost caused a lawsuit from Marshall, its got 6l6 though so not QUITE there, but close. Sovtek MIG series as well, I think the MIG60 is a plexi though. Don't quite recall. What else? Peavey Valveking maybe.

I would still go for the Windsor with an overdrive.
Alright, these are some great suggestions. To be honest though, at this point, I think I'm giving up. It'd probably be best to just stick with what I have now, and save up like a shitload of money, so then I'll have lots left over after buying a good amp and maybe a cab or something.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, people =)
Peavey Windsor IS a single channel JCM800 circuit. Could use some new tubes and possibly a new Output Transformer. It is an 800 though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Peavey Butcher was supposedly almost caused a lawsuit from Marshall, its got 6l6 though so not QUITE there, but close. Sovtek MIG series as well, I think the MIG60 is a plexi though. Don't quite recall. What else? Peavey Valveking maybe.

I would still go for the Windsor with an overdrive.

VTM is the butcher's cousin, also a great amp. Baroness used them on their First and Second EPs, possibly Red Album too. I have the VTM60, not incredibly versatile, but it'll do sludge very well with a boost.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.