Hello everyone, I was wandering how to use an electric guitar amp (I know it sounds like a stupid question) but is there a certain way to pug it in, unplug it, switch it on and off, because im afraid if i do something wrong it'll blow my amp up. So is there any order or does it matter? Thanks, Jacob
Make sure you're connected to a speaker or speaker cab. Turn the amp from off to standby, let it sit for a minute (usually while I tune up), then turn it on. You can plug your guitar in at any time, but usually I do it when it's either off or on standby to avoid a big popping noise.

PS That's for tube amps. For SS you should just flick the switch to "on" and be ready to go.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Kind of a pointless thread if the TS isn't going to tell us what amp.
^we can assume it's probably a small solid state amp.

They're simple, you won't break it unless you drive over it with your car. Barden was right about all his stuff though, but I doubt you'll have the speaker disconnected and I personally doubt you have a tube amp. If you do have either of those then follow what he said and enjoy your groovy tunes.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
One other thing - don't plug an amp into the wall if it's switched on. Also, don't unplug one before turning it off first.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
^we can assume it's probably a small solid state amp.

They're simple, you won't break it unless you drive over it with your car. Barden was right about all his stuff though, but I doubt you'll have the speaker disconnected and I personally doubt you have a tube amp. If you do have either of those then follow what he said and enjoy your groovy tunes.

Assuming gets us nowhere.
One other thing - don't plug an amp into the wall if it's switched on. Also, don't unplug one before turning it off first.
Why what would happen? Because I unplugged it one time by accident without turning it off first but i didnt realize it wasnt off will this cause it any damage?
Quote by Jcob.T
Why what would happen? Because I unplugged it one time by accident without turning it off first but i didnt realize it wasnt off will this cause it any damage?

The way I've always understood it, the components inside amps can be sensitive to abrupt changes in the amount of electricity running through them. When you switch an amp on or off, it's being turned on/off in a way designed to be safe for all the components inside. When you just plug it in or yank it, you don't know what you're going to get in terms of current flowing through the circuit. With tube amps it's a bigger deal because you want to let the tubes warm up before playing. I could be wrong about this, though. It's just something I've always done to be on the safe side.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!