I play bass, and I'm running out of ideas for songs to learn. Anyone have any ideas? I mostly just play thrash/speed metal, traditional heavy metal, and glam rock.

Bands I love:
Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Toxic Holocaust, Motley Crue, old Metallica, Testament, Judas Priest, Poison, Holy Grail, Anthrax, etc.
Get some W.A.S.P. in you, they're a good go-to I've been using in my efforts to learn guitar. If you're not averse to power metal and love to get down with the glorious cheese, how about some Manowar? They've got some great basslines, like "Blood Of My Enemies"
Death has some pretty classic bass lines. Steve DiGiorgio is a great influence of mine. Check out Spirit Crusher.
I'm gonna +1 W.A.S.P. and Manowar and Death and suggest Municipal Waste, Mastodon and Guns n Roses
Metal? Well...

Quote by barbariansteve
Get some W.A.S.P. in you, they're a good go-to I've been using in my efforts to learn guitar. If you're not averse to power metal and love to get down with the glorious cheese, how about some Manowar? They've got some great basslines, like "Blood Of My Enemies"

Quote by shmbluh12
I'm gonna +1 W.A.S.P. and Manowar and Death and suggest Municipal Waste, Mastodon and Guns n Roses

Quote by IronJudasCrue41
glam rock.

Oh.

*leaves thread*
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I used to find Iced Earth's Desert Rain quite the challenge on bass.
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
The Four Horsemen by Metallica is has an excellent bassline. Also The Number of the Beast is also a fun one to learn. Try Tornado of Souls as well.
"The Trooper" (Maiden) is a great tune for practicing your triplets... and just a great tune!
Quote by 'Merican
Sorry to burst your bubble guys but W.A.S.P. is not metal...

They ARE metal Get a sense of genres!

On topic, try Annihilator - Knight Jumps Queen.

Quote by mac_attack
"The Trooper" (Maiden) is a great tune for practicing your triplets... and just a great tune!

Gallops. They're gallops.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by mac_attack

Gallops bro.... not triplets.

On topic though; Anything Ellefson did of Countdown to Extinction is great and pretty easy. As mentioned alot of Death songs are good, and erm... if you like glamm-y stuff...

This.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by GrStMyGn
Gallops bro.... not triplets.

....what?
[Insert something clever here]
For speed you could try Skeleton in the Closet by Anthrax, it has some really fast fills. Frank Bello plays that song with a pick I think, but I use 3 fingers.

Ride the Lightning is a pretty fun one to play as well, especially if you improvise a little every now and then, check out this version with overly enhanced bass
Professional lurker since 2009.