My band scheduled a show in two weeks to open for one of our favorite local bands. As soon as we got confirmed for the show, my vocalist let us all know and suddenly the bassist quit. There's no way we can find another bassist and teach him all of our songs in 2 weeks (we play technical metalcore). So now, I just have to decide whether to just forget about bass for this show and just play as the four of us (two guitars, drums and vocals) or have me switch to bass until we find a replacement bassist. I could easily play all of our songs on bass but some of the guitar parts might be lacking. Would you guys say it would be better to play this show without a bassist or have me switch to bass and only have one guitarist?
I hate my sig
If I were you I'd probably stick with guitar. Plus, alot of the times the bass is drowned in the mix (alot of the times, not always, we've all seen those concerts where the bass overpowers every other instrument). And not to be a douche or anything, but not many people actually give a shit about the bassist, so unless he was the singer or something you'll be fine playing gigs till you find somebody new.
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Quote by randomthoughts
Set up a synth or something to fill in a bass rhythm. Better than nothing

A bass rhythm? Like just one note or something? this isn't exactly 3 chord type of music so I don't think that would work. Plus the venue has a really shitty PA that they only use for vocals
I hate my sig
Quote by !Mike!
If I were you I'd probably stick with guitar. Plus, alot of the times the bass is drowned in the mix (alot of the times, not always, we've all seen those concerts where the bass overpowers every other instrument). And not to be a douche or anything, but not many people actually give a shit about the bassist, so unless he was the singer or something you'll be fine playing gigs till you find somebody new.

Wow this is the opposite response than I was expecting. I just can't imagine ever seeing a live show without a bassist. I was heavily leaning toward switching to bass for this show but the vocalist wanted me to stick with guitar. Now I don't know what to do. I'm perfectly capable of either but now it's just coming down to what will sound better
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Wow this is the opposite response than I was expecting. I just can't imagine ever seeing a live show without a bassist. I was heavily leaning toward switching to bass for this show but the vocalist wanted me to stick with guitar. Now I don't know what to do. I'm perfectly capable of either but now it's just coming down to what will sound better

Haha sorry dude, alot of local bands in my area don't have bassists so I'm used to it, I mean if the bass in your band adds more to the songs then having 2 guitars for whatever you're playing then play the bass.
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Quote by !Mike!
Haha sorry dude, alot of local bands in my area don't have bassists so I'm used to it, I mean if the bass in your band adds more to the songs then having 2 guitars for whatever you're playing then play the bass.

You're singlehandedly making me reconsider. I am really good at guitar. Haha. I really don't know what to do now. It's like some songs would work better for two guitars and some songs would work better for a bass.
I hate my sig
As a bassist, I'd say play bass. If your venue has a shitty PA (which you just said it would) it'll be hard for the audience to pick apart the two guitar lines anyways. Bass is a lot more noticeable when gone then a second guitar part. Getting by on one guitar is easy.
Quote by scimitar_255
As a bassist, I'd say play bass. If your venue has a shitty PA (which you just said it would) it'll be hard for the audience to pick apart the two guitar lines anyways. Bass is a lot more noticeable when gone then a second guitar part. Getting by on one guitar is easy.

Yeah that was my line of reasoning. We really didn't sound bad when we practiced tonight with me on bass. I think I was just second guessing myself cause we were all tired and getting into arguments tonight
I hate my sig
Jeez, this actually got me worked up enough to post for the first time in ages.

Quote by !Mike!

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. You will sound crap without anything at the bottom end; you will lack any punch, power, or drive. GOOD soundguys don't bury bass in the mix, however you will still miss it whether it's sitting too deep or not.

Either YOU switch to bass, or get your other guitarist to. Then it's up to whichever of you is left on the 6-string to flesh out the guitar part, so it'd be best to have the most competent guitarist stay on the guitar.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound brusque, but it's all true, and I can't be arsed to mince words at what is for me 0600.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
Last edited by hadesdaman at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by hadesdaman

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. You will sound crap without anything at the bottom end; you will lack any punch, power, or drive. GOOD soundguys don't bury bass in the mix, however you will still miss it whether it's sitting too deep or not.

Either YOU switch to bass, or get your other guitarist to. Then it's up to whichever of you is left on the 6-string to flesh out the guitar part, so it'd be best to have the most competent guitarist stay on the guitar.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound brusque, but it's all true, and I can't be arsed to mince words at what is for me 0600.

Thank you. You confirmed my ideas. I feel like half of the experience of a live show is the pounding bass in your chest, ya know. The other guitarist is too hard headed to switch to bass so it's gotta be me. I just have to teach him some of my leads and handle most of the rhythm stuff on bass. But I'm up for it. I'm actually really enjoying bass
I hate my sig
Quote by hadesdaman

It's all good brother. I was just talking from personal experience, because tbh I can't tell the dif when a band has a bass player or not (when I'm actually at the concert). I'm also maybe a bit biased because I can't really hear my own bassist in my band either when were playing.

Anyways @OP: this guy must know what he's talking about so go for the bass I guess.
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Quote by !Mike!

Prolly why most metal core sounds like crap.

Bass is designed to fill in the low end of the mix, and allow the guitars to cut, without being muddied up by having the support the lows as well, so your mix out in the crowd will sound thin without a bassist, regardless of what anyone says, bass ain't there to just look pretty. Anybody who has ever tried to record a song knows this.

Why did your bassist quit anyways? And can't you just find someone to just do a basic fill for your songs, you don't need them to play exactly what you play all the time?
Quote by !Mike!
It's all good brother. I was just talking from personal experience, because tbh I can't tell the dif when a band has a bass player or not (when I'm actually at the concert). I'm also maybe a bit biased because I can't really hear my own bassist in my band either when were playing.

Anyways @OP: this guy must know what he's talking about so go for the bass I guess.

Gah, don't be nice to me, that just makes me feel worse

In all seriousness, your local scene could probably be helped by people paying more attention to the low end. I speak from experience when I say that there is a huuugggee difference in quality between local scenes (in the UK at least), and if you all settle for mediocrity then your 'scene' will stagnate. Basically, kick the crap out of your bass players till they get better and louder
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
why not look around within your contacts and see if you can either find someone who can cover the bass parts or the guitar parts, then you cover whatever that person can't?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I may be a little out of place here, but can't you talk to the bassist and ask whether he can do this one gig, then quit?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'm with the camp that, at the end of the day, a missing bass is more noticeable to the average audience member than a missing second guitar in a two guitar set up.
I'm with the camp that, at the end of the day, a missing bass is more noticeable to the average audience member than a missing second guitar in a two guitar set up.

Yeah, definitely. Lose lead guitar in some places and nobody will notice its absence (unless they're familiar with your material, of course). Lose bass through every single song, and it'll be pretty obvious that there's something missing.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

This, but AlanHB makes a damn good point. There's a certain unspoken code of ethics that many bands and musicians follow, and in the case of someone quitting, the usual etiquette is to agree to play out any remaining gigs in the diary (or at least give plenty of notice so the band has enough time to find a replacement) before leaving.

It's just one gig, surely he can play it before leaving? Or is the gig the reason he's leaving?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This, but AlanHB makes a damn good point. There's a certain unspoken code of ethics that many bands and musicians follow, and in the case of someone quitting, the usual etiquette is to agree to play out any remaining gigs in the diary (or at least give plenty of notice so the band has enough time to find a replacement) before leaving.

It's just one gig, surely he can play it before leaving? Or is the gig the reason he's leaving?

Yeah man I know what you mean. This bassist was supposed to be a temporary replacement but kinda turned into a full time member cause we didn't find anyone else to take his spot. He just quit because he said this isn't really his kind of music. Our vocalist was kind of upset and didn't want to plead with him cause they have personal issues. But the bassist just texted him and apologized so be might play it after all.

But either way, I'm going to make sure we have bass in there whether it's me playing or him.

Our music is just very rhythmic and sometimes hard to follow so I don't think someone could learn all our songs in that short of time even if we could find a replacement (which we haven't yet) Thanks for all the opinions guys
I hate my sig
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I agree completely. I was just addressing the post on the first page that seemed to suggest the opposite.
Quote by QuantumMechanix

I actually have seen a few metal bands that have had this problem, either the bassist quits or is fired, what ever. They just play with 2 guitarists and forget about the bass until they find someone. As long as the performance is good, it shouldn't be a problem for one show.
Don't gig without bass. Don't.

See if you can hobble along with one of the guitarists covering the bass, or cancel.

That is, if you can't convince the bass player to tough it out for one more show.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Cancel the show if your bassist won't play it. It's unproffessional to pull out of a show, but it's even worse to release anything that is less than perfect (in this case it's a show) and without a full line-up your show will probably not go as well as it would with a bassist.
you don't want people to come out of a show saying "that was decent", "not bad" or "it would've been better with a bass or second guitar." you want them to leave and say "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AMAZING."
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by QuantumMechanix
This bassist was supposed to be a temporary replacement but kinda turned into a full time member cause we didn't find anyone else to take his spot.

Hardly surprising that he quit then. There really is nothing like making a person feel wanted for getting them to stay in a band.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 8, 2011,
Its easily doable without bass i have done so, the trick is making your sound big as possible without sacrificing the cut of the guitar. Get an octave pedal and set it at about half the mix of your dry signal. Your sound will be much fuller
My band was a duo for 3 years and now we found a bassist. We have a great following in my area now, after 3 years. what Im trying to say is that we played shows for 2 years without a bassist, no one cares, as long as it sounds good and you put on a good show
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate