hey

I need help on deciding my first guitar. My budget is $300.

My favorite bands are Metallica, GN'R, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Ozzy.

My favorite guitarists are Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Randy Rhoads, Buckethead, Slash, Dave Murray.

I prefer new, but I can go used.
You need an amp. A Peavey Vypyr 15 would be a great practice amp for you. And as far as guitars, most people will suggest a Squier. I will suggest Agile http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss7.html

Agiles are great guitars for the money, and they will sound closer to what you want. It comes out to a little over $300 for the amp and guitar, but if you can find an amp used locally, even better.

Edit: I'm referring to Agile guitars, they are made in Korea and have better hardware. Not Douglas or SX, they won't compare.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Aug 4, 2011,
Epiphone G-400 is a solid guitar, i think you can find it for $300, might be $350.
There are definitely a few good Ibanez's in that pricerange but I'm not familiar with them.
Schecter Omen's are an option too. Your best bet is to go to a store and play every guitar you can afford and go with whatever feels the best.

EDIT: Completely forgot Agile. You can't try before you buy but for the price they're fantastic. I have an AL-2800 baritone, great guitar but I wouldn't recommend it as a first.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 4, 2011,
I've heard great things about the Goth g-400. its $300.00. and should work for what you need.
Quote by cliffburton1984
Specifically which agile? I already own a peavey vypyr 15.

Whichever is the best you can afford. I think any of the AL models with humbuckers will do fine.
appreciate the help so far, but Im looking for something without the les paul shape. Something closer to the jackson dinky style.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Go to the local music stores and check out their used stock. You can get way more for your money when you go used. If you can get a $600 guitar for $300, more power to you.
If i could convey one piece of advice it would be "don't be too concerned with looks or name brand". You will need a guitar with humbuckers and from there anything should be open to you. Like some one here said...play every guitar you can get your hands on. i've been playing for a long time and i sometimes surprise myself when i go to a music store. Some guitars will just feel right in your hands. I'm not sure why but it is absolutely true. I've never liked the feel of Les Paul's. I love the way they look and sound and even the bragging rights of owning one but they do not fell right in my hands. I promise you the same thing will happen to you. You will not like playing certain guitars. Just my 2 cents
Last edited by socalguitar at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by cliffburton1984
hey

I need help on deciding my first guitar. My budget is $300.

My favorite bands are Metallica, GN'R, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Ozzy.

My favorite guitarists are Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Randy Rhoads, Buckethead, Slash, Dave Murray.

I prefer new, but I can go used.

Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster
Fender Standard Floyd Rose Stratocaster
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG350/RG370/RG470
Epiphone G-400
Jackson Dinky (you can find some older or used ones for cheap)
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Check out Ibanez guitars like the RG321 or RG2EX1 (I'm sure there's newer models out now, I haven't been up to date with them). From my experiences, Ibanez has the best build quality out of all the big brand low end guitars. Later on you can replace the pickups if you want and have a guitar that's nothing to laugh at.

I would stay away from/ be wary of Epiphone, Dean and BC Rich in that price range. LTD models can be nice, but they're much more hit and miss than Ibanez. I had a V-50 a while ago, and it had some pretty bad fret problems.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X