First let me say that I'm not That Guy. I read the sticky and I've got a pretty good idea of the general direction I want to go in, but I don't know the specifics of picking a reasonable quality electric and details about the million and two customisations out there.

So copying from the Sticky:

(a) What do you want to buy?
I'm strongly leaning towards an HSS guitar (fixed or tremolo doesnt matter) since I'm basically straight split on the music I'd like to play. I don't have ANY electric gear at the moment save a set of very nice (older) sennheisers and a passing knowledge of, and comfort with, electronics.

(b) What is your budget?
I've got a steady job so it's more of a time and reasonability for a beginner than straight money. I'll say I top out pushing $200 though since more than $200 is probably not worth it for someone just starting out with an electric and since I live in the used guitar capitol of central florida. Note that's for the guitar, I'm willing to save up seperately thing for a bit for a not-bad amp, esp since I'm practically swimming in them here in Orlando.

(c) What type(s) of music do you want to play?
Ok now I get to be That Guy. I'm split, on the one hand I love the golden oldies and classic rock and at the same time I also want to learn more modern metal/rock like Sabaton or the Canon Rock. I do know straight duplicating their sound's about impossible, and that it's a bit of a stretch even for a fat strat to go from misirlou to sabaton.

(e)

It would be helpful to tell us your playing ability or skill level. Some pickups and amps-eg. Dimarzio Evolution pickups- are fantastic and super clear at accentuating every note you play. This helps if you can play without mistakes (i.e. if you're good). Trouble is, if you aren't, it'll accentuate your mistakes, and make you sound worse than you are. So this will also help us advise you what to get. By the way, I couldn't think of any amps like this off-hand, but I have heard others mentioning them from time to time!

Not nothing but not technically much either. If i don't hate what I'm doing I'll learn it quickly and thoroughly, before I heard how terrible house of the rising sun sounds on acoustic I did reasonably well picking up t

(f) Originally posted by Danno 13: Tell us if you're willing to buy used- this makes a major difference in what quality of kit you can afford, but of course it's a risk, and you need to know quite a bit about guitars etc. to not be taken advantage of.

Yes, absolutely. I live right around the UCF-Valencia-Fullsail area, there is an OCEAN of used musical instruments here from all the people who get tired of them, need the money, or just move up to something else and run low on space.

Speaking with just a few people I know personally I get a lot of the usual contradictory opinions regarding the lower end guitars (some say squiers are toys, some say the Standards are passable but quickly outgrown, some love them) and expected brand loyalty holy wars, but only a handful have been able to provide any real sort of concrete reasons like QA issues or inferior wood/electronics for their preferences.

I have been looking through orlando craigslist on my own, there was a MIM fender fat strat ages ago that I thought would be great based on everything I've read but that guy never responded. Since then I've only found two remotely possibles but I'll be watching for at least the rest of the month probably: a 2008 ibanez gsa60 that the guy customised with a drop-d tuner for $70 and this wierd fellow that is claimed to be an SA series and looks like an SA260fm or even QM except only for the bridge (resembles the QM's more) and the humbucker's ring is black like a GSA instead of chrome like the regular SAs.

The problem is while I know at least to stick with HSS I don't know if an Ibanez is the right direction, if that's a real SA (or a good price if it is) or if I'm even going the right direction in terms of parts quality and sound. So while I wait, save, and make a quick bit extra for my budget off one of these someone's basically giving to me for $15 just to get rid of I figured I'd ask for some advice and maybe a point in the right direction.
On this site you will hear a lot of fanboyism going around, it's kind of hard to sift through it all.
the first ibby for 70 bucks is not a bad buy (I used to live in Oviedo) At least go and give it a twirl and see what happens.

Also go to the music shops, and try everything you can get your hands on, that is the only way to really find what you really want. you may find you prefer one body style over another.

I will say that you will want something with high out put pick ups (to play softer stuff roll back on the volume a bit)

As for the amp there are quite a few smaller amps that are damn good, and priced well below what they are worth. Check out the Peavey Vypyr, or the Fender Mustang amps.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 4, 2011,
Opinions are important too, a lot of things like fretboard radius are mostly personal preference, but I've got no idea whether an ibanez's 12+ inch radius would even be good for the sort of thing I want to play. That's why I'm asking for a point in the right direction and a bit of advice on what I've found so far.
Don't forget to play some higher-end equipment to have something to base your decision off of.

Go for what feels good in your hands. Just because its a Fender doesn't mean you can't play some Clapton on an HSS Ibanez and still sound awesome. 90% if the sound is coming from your amp anyways, guitar is all about feel. You can make a separate thread for the amp even, in Guitar Gear and accessories.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
And take someone along who knows stuff about guitars if you can.

Most guitar shops don't want to spend a lot of time on newbies. At least that was my experience.
The local ones here have employees that are pretty nice if you catch them when they're not busy, they don't have anything else to do so they tend to be helpful if nothing else then out of enlightened self interest.
yamaha pacifica 112 is probably worth a look, it's sorta the archetypical HSS beginner (but remarkably decent) guitar.

thanks for reading the stickies
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the tip, I've actually passed over a yamaha already... other than personal preference is there any significant quality difference between something like a EG-112c and the Gsa60 I've already seen? Or even the (admittedly higher) might-be-a-SA260?

Also I'm looking at high and low price stuff at the same time in case there's something really worth saving for, so if there's any models I should look out for up to the low to mid $300 range I can save up for that over a while. I don't know if anything short of a made-in-america fender (or a MIM with a really nice amp) going for that low would be worth it though and the problem is once you get up into a certain price range you see stuff like this alleged "deluxe fender strat" that just doesn't add up.
Small edit: Actually I finally identified that thing, it's a pewter MIM deluxe.
Last edited by Shadowex3 at Aug 5, 2011,
i'm not sure if i've tried those ones, but i'd try to go for the higher models (sa260 or pacifica 112v) if at all possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would the PAC412 (non-V) be a higher model than the EG-112C's or is this one of those ones where higher numbers isnt automatically better? Comparing it with the 412V on yamaha's website there's no difference listed in the specs but they're not exactly very detailed.
Quote by Alucard817
On this site you will hear a lot of fanboyism going around, it's kind of hard to sift through it all.
the first ibby for 70 bucks is not a bad buy (I used to live in Oviedo) At least go and give it a twirl and see what happens.

small world haha. i live there now
Quote by Shadowex3
Would the PAC412 (non-V) be a higher model than the EG-112C's or is this one of those ones where higher numbers isnt automatically better? Comparing it with the 412V on yamaha's website there's no difference listed in the specs but they're not exactly very detailed.

yeah, it's a higher model, as far as i'm aware.

How much higher, I'm not sure- I've only tried the 112 and the 812; there was also the 612. The 812 had duncan pickups and sperzel locking tuners, while the 612 had a duncan bridge pickup (yamaha mid and neck pickups) and grover locking tuners.

iirc the 412 didn't have name-brand pickups or locking tuners. Whether teh 412, 612 and 812 were all made to the same standard, and the only difference was the parts, or whether the higher ones were made better too, I dunno.

But I mean if you can get the 412 for a similar price to the eg, then definitely do it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah the Sam Ash on Lee Rd is alright, if you don't mind a quick drive, there is a pretty diecent sized store in Sanford on 17-92, only passed by I havent been there yet.

I lived off Dike Rd for a while in 2000, and live about 5 miles from UCF off Lake Pickett Rd in the 80's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been to the local GCs and Sam Ashes but aside from the one local Guitar Center having some nice staff they're pretty obviously the big-box retail stores of the guitar world. I'll give them a ring before I pull the trigger on anything, and certainly see if I can meet for the actual buy there to have it verified if it's a decent amount of money, but I don't think they could beat craigslist at least here in Orlando.

Also I mentioned earlier that if something really is honestly worth it (as a "Stick With It" guitar) then i could push my budget into the $300's by saving up from a few more paychecks. Would a 2007 MIM fender fat strat that's been more or less hotrodded with dimarzio 58's, a Breed, Schaller tuners and Dial-A-Tap straight from Rothstein be worth the money if I could get it for $370-$400ish or is that too much for a mexican strat even with the extra parts? I'm in a really good market area, and i've got a lot of people who would buy it at my cost from me if not more if I ever want to change guitars instead of stick with this one, but I'm looking at long term anyway because I don't want to repeat the mistakes I made with my acoustic.
Last edited by Shadowex3 at Aug 6, 2011,
normally you don't want to be paying extra for other people's upgrades.

the reasons being:

(a) they might not be upgrades you'd have made

(b) you don't know how well those upgrades were fitted

and probably the most important one

(c) when you're buying you want to pretend you don't want the thing so you get it for the cheapest price possible

i mean generally if you're selling, you put the instrument back to stock and sell the upgrades separately. you tend to get more money that way. stock is worth more, even if the stock parts are inferior, that's just the way it is.

I mean I guess if something is upgraded with the exact parts you'd have upgraded it with, you could consider paying a little more. But aside from that, personally I'd be wary of paying too much for upgrades.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it comes with the stock parts if I want them, that's why I was asking about the fair value of a 2007 MIM strat in stock condition, I was going to base my negotiations off of what an unmodified one would be worth and then treat any upgraded parts as a bonus. If it's honestly not worth it at the $350-$375 range as a stock MIM fat strat then I'm going back to the SA260 as the one to keep an eye on and just watching craigslist while I save.
Last edited by Shadowex3 at Aug 6, 2011,
ah ok

well i guess you could do some research and see how much the upgrades would sell for (if you don't want to keep them)- if the usual cost of an MIM + the upgrades is more than the cost of the one you're buying which already has teh upgrades it might be worth considering. though it might be a lot of faffing to save maybe $50.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?