So I Just found out that I have the entire day this Saturday with the house to myself. The wife and kids are going to be gone all day, and I just bought a Fast Track Pro USB, but I need to know how to use the son of a bitch. I want to use the day to learn and maybe lay down a few tracks.

I've used a midi program to make drum loops and stuff, then ran them through ezdrummer to get a good real sound, but I did all this a long time ago, and forgot most of it, not even sure I can find the software, so I want to mainly focus on guitar, bass, and vocals.

Here's my complete equipment list, as far as I can remember at the moment:

Guitars I will be recording:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender Frontman 25R amp
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic
Fender American Standard P-Bass
Peavey 50w 12" combo bass amp
Various effects, mostly modulation type.

Recording equipment
Pro Tools LE
Ableton Live
Sonar 8
Acid Pro 7
Guitar Rig 3? (think it came with the Fast Track)
will probably scrounge up a few more programs I want/need to learn
M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB
MCA Condensor mic
various cheaper instrument mics
Boom stand

I'll probably run to Guitar Center tomorrow to get a cheap set of bongos and egg shakers for something to play around with.

Anyways, I have hardly touched my guitars in almost 6 years. Once my first daughter was born, I pretty much had to "grow up", I sold almost everything I had. This was heartbreaking, because I had some REALLY nice equipment, but I digress.

I'm trying to get back into the game, and this is just one of those tools that I am trying to use. My thinking is that as I brush up on my guitar and stuff, I will be learning to use this new software and eventually be able to lay down entire songs out of my basement. Saturday, I will probably work most on acoustic songs with vocals and maybe some midi strings, as well as my bongos and eggs, lol.

Any helpful hints or websites you guys can point me to to help learn this stuff, or if there is a better program I should try to buy that would be easier to start off with, I'd really appreciate it.
Personally I prefer Acid Pro myself. It just seems a bit more intuitive to me. Almost as though its thinking for me

You may want to try running your guitars/pedals/vocals directly into the Fast Track to start with. Recording that way lessens the problems associated with mic'ing cabs/amps and so on.

So get everything set up... give her a spin and see how it sounds.

Once you get past the hurdle of recording yourself, you can venture further into mic'ing everything you can. Go for some Pink Floyd stuff and record your wife cooing to your child... or some other fancy/trancy stuff. Chain the hell out of every effect you have and try running vocals through it.

lol... this brings back memories.
I would honestly use youtube. There are a lot of great tutorials on basic recording with the software you have. I'm a fan of Ableton because of its built in capabilities and it's quick workflow. Watching a tutorial gives you an edge over just reading one, IMO.
Well, I took your advice and Used Acid, I also found what I could on Youtube. I had to go get a new set of monitors, didn't realize the audio wouldn't play back through headphones or pc speakers, and man, I'm glad I did. I got a mint used set of M-Audio BX5 powered monitors for $149.00. They were still in the original box, not a mark on them. The foam isolation pads weren't even peeled and stuck on the bottoms yet! I sprung for the warranty on them for an extra $20. I got them home, plugged them in, and opened up iTunes. I can crank it all the way up and they are crystal clear and loud as hell, I think they're 70 watts each or something.

Anyways, I spent all day just recording riff after riff, acoustic, electric, bass, even threw down some rough vocal tracks. I didn't manage to make anything worth a shit, but I got some much needed practice time. I haven't played that much in years. My finger tips are friggin' purple!

I feel very comfortable with Acid, it's simple, and it's loaded with easy to use FX and EQ's. One thing I wish I could figure out though. Last time I used Acid, it was Acid 4. When you would hit record, it would bring up a screen that had your mic levels and a couple knobs/sliders, but in Acid 7, when you hit record, it's recording. Do you know of any way to make that screen pop up before it actually starts recording?
Quote by BigAssSack
Well, I took your advice and Used Acid, I also found what I could on Youtube. I had to go get a new set of monitors, didn't realize the audio wouldn't play back through headphones or pc speakers, and man, I'm glad I did. I got a mint used set of M-Audio BX5 powered monitors for $149.00. They were still in the original box, not a mark on them. The foam isolation pads weren't even peeled and stuck on the bottoms yet! I sprung for the warranty on them for an extra $20. I got them home, plugged them in, and opened up iTunes. I can crank it all the way up and they are crystal clear and loud as hell, I think they're 70 watts each or something.

Anyways, I spent all day just recording riff after riff, acoustic, electric, bass, even threw down some rough vocal tracks. I didn't manage to make anything worth a shit, but I got some much needed practice time. I haven't played that much in years. My finger tips are friggin' purple!

I feel very comfortable with Acid, it's simple, and it's loaded with easy to use FX and EQ's. One thing I wish I could figure out though. Last time I used Acid, it was Acid 4. When you would hit record, it would bring up a screen that had your mic levels and a couple knobs/sliders, but in Acid 7, when you hit record, it's recording. Do you know of any way to make that screen pop up before it actually starts recording?

Good deal on the monitors... congrats!

Hmmm... I haven't seen it in 7. Maybe that's why I'm still using 4. I tried 7 and didn't like it as much as 4 so i went back to 4. Seems like they muddied the waters with 7 and just lost their edge.

I've always enjoyed recording. I get to keep my new ideas instead of losing that riff I've cooked up in my noggin.