Poll: At what point would you keep your electric in a case.
Poll Options
View poll results: At what point would you keep your electric in a case.
Everything is in a case.
18 25%
$250+
3 4%
$500+
7 10%
$1000+
13 18%
$1500+
2 3%
$2000+
1 1%
$2500+
0 0%
$3000+
0 0%
Never, I like it out, ready for action.
27 38%
Voters: 71.
Given the amount of money I paid for it, yes.

My other one, since it has no case... it sits on a stand next to my amp. I was going to get a case for it to protect it from the environment, but meh. Too much money and trouble.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
i have 2 stands so i keep one guitar beside my chair in the livingroom and i keep one in my recording studio. The others i keep in their cases out of harms way. Usually i rotate the guitars that are out so they all get played on a regular basis.
If you have a really nice guitar you would be foolish not to.

Keeping it in a case protects it from outside temperature (to stop the neck from bowing). Also reduces the amount of rust that may form on it, since it isnt in contact with the outside air.
I just made a similar thread in the acoustic thread if anyone is interested... I'm really curious to see how the two polls end.
My electric I leave out on a stand, but my acoustic stays in its case when not in use. If I had a more expensive electric, I would probably maybe case it, but eh, I like how it's available for use on a moment's notice and nothing bad has happened to it yet.
I don't get what it is with people and cases. I've found it can be a selling point a lot of the time. The only reason you need a case is for gigs. If you don't gig, leave it sitting around
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Only the ones that have a case i leave it in the case
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Yes, it's expensive, beautiful and a lot less likely to get damaged in a case than on a stand.
Quote by sammo_boi
I don't get what it is with people and cases. I've found it can be a selling point a lot of the time. The only reason you need a case is for gigs. If you don't gig, leave it sitting around

+1

Unless we're talking like a $1500+ guitar, and you don't trust people you're around in your home, why would you store them in cases? It's not even space efficient.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Both my £800 & £1200 guitars sit on a multi-guitar stand in my bedroom.
Cases keep guitars safe. You never know what's going to happen. It's better safe than sorry. Plus, guitars in cases stay cleaner. I don't see the big deal in spending 15 seconds to remove and return the guitar to its case. Well if the guitar didn't come with one, you might not think it's worth it to spend $100 on a case. But if it did come with one, you should definitely use it.
Soft padded case: less than £600
Hard case: more than £650
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Ill always have one out of the case at a time and just leave it around the house (its my cheapest/crappiest one)... The rest of them i keep in the case EXCEPT for my epiphone SG, which i Just leave next to my computer for when I am learning a song by ear/Recording/practicing... I cant use my crappy one for most stuff as its got like 4 frets that are chipped and cant play a few notes... ill get it repaired soon hopefully
I keep 2 guitars out and 2 in cases. But price of the guitar doesn't really affect my decision for a case, it just depends how expensive the case is.
i keep my 2200 euro gibson les paul in case but not directly because i'm afraid of something happening to it since i also have a 5 guitar stand. my charvel san dimas was 1100 something and i keep that on the guitar stand but that is mostly because i have the dunlop straplocks which came included on that guitar and they are a pain to take of everytime.

also i kind of of agree with the last option, ready for action but i just started putting my gibson in case and ever since it's just a habbit.
Quote by Banjocal
Soft padded case: less than £600
Hard case: more than £650

What if it's £625?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
What if it's £625?

You have to make a case out of old crisp packets and peanut butter.
I always keep my Squier Afinnity strat on it's stand unless I'm taking it to music practise or if I'm taking it somewhere.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
i keep everything in cases because everything's always being transported around. i have a multi-guitar stand that holds 5 guitars, but that's only used for gigs, or when i've got the time to do some home-recording and i just pick a few guitars to use (pretty much at random) and place them on the stand for easy access.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Actually, come to think of it, if I could fit I'd live in my guitar's case it's so plush.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221

I just use a nice gig bag for my nice guitar ~£300 (but very nice considering)
and a **** gig bag for my **** guitar

EDIT: I'd say it depends more on how nice the guitar is than the price (I voted ready for action though)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Aug 4, 2011,
Generally always live in their cases. May leave one out from time to time.

Cases are just easier. Guitars tend not to go out of tune in cases, there's only a tiny risk of damage, you can stack them to save space, the guitar has nice case smell, all your bits and bobs (picks/capos etc) are kept together in the pocket.

From a practical point of view you're only going to play one guitar at any one time anyway so it makes sense to have the other(s) in their homes. It may sound weird but I also like the feeling of putting a guitar away safely in its case.
Last edited by Duv at Aug 4, 2011,
i don't even have a case. when i buy a more expansive guitar i probably will.

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
a lot of you guys must not have kids or pets . mine all live in cases or for the cheaper stuff in a decent gigbag. my den has very limited space so it's not practical to leave them out but i wouldn't anyways. the first time you knock over one of your axes in the middle of the night after bar hopping you'll be like f*ck wish it was in a case. first time your axe gets a good ding because Rover is glad to see you and came charging you'll be saying f*ck wish it was in a case. the first time you come home to one of your kids obnoxious teenage friends beating on your best guitar , hmm... well you'll probably just kill him but figure that if the guitar was put away this might not have happend. been there done that for all of the above.
Most of mine are on wall hangers. But both of my acoustics have hard cases, and I have two gig bags for my 2 basses and one for my electric guitars (since I never take more than one guitar to a gig)
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT