Hello... My band is about to play a big competition and it's important I start getting a certain song we'll be playing correctly. We'll be playing "Rain" by Breaking Benjamin, and dedicating it to a friend of ours who recently suffered a near fatal head injury and deeply saddened us all. So, that being said, there's a ton of emotion going into this.

Problem is, the song has sections that hover around right near my break (around an F above middle C). If I give the line some extra support, it fixes the problem but ruins the softness of the song. If I don't, I go out of tune and it feels awkward.

What do I do? Should we just change the key or is there a specific way to get around this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgs2oiWiYV4

If you're wondering, it's the "Not a dollar or a crowd could ever keep me here" kind of lines that are bothering me.
One of the first things my vocal teacher taught me was that, when doing covers, if there's a note in the song that is above my range, then instead of singing UP to it, that I should sing DOWN to it. Drop the F note an octave down

Another option would be tune down. That way you're still playing it the same way, just in a lower tuning. Tune down until the high part is within your range

That's what I do whenever I encounter this problem
It's in my range, the break is the area where you start needing to add extra diaphragm support to hit the notes properly. However, I'm concerned about overpowering the line because it needs to be soft. On the flipside, I don't want to drop it an octave because it'll be too low and will sound awkward.

I might be able to fix it with more practice, but it looks like we might just tune a half step down.
Why don't you just pull back pretty far from the mic on those notes that need more support? It won't quite be the same as if you could hit the note softly, but its probably the closest thing you could do.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
It's in my range, the break is the area where you start needing to add extra diaphragm support to hit the notes properly. However, I'm concerned about overpowering the line because it needs to be soft. On the flipside, I don't want to drop it an octave because it'll be too low and will sound awkward.

I might be able to fix it with more practice, but it looks like we might just tune a half step down.

Never heard it called a "break" before, I always hear people refer to it as "upper and lower range" but never heard that term, haha, learn something new every day

Tuning down is definetely how I'd handle the situation, or pulling back from the mic like the person above me said. Best of luck on your gig mate
you dont have to sing it exactly like the original, I think adding a bit of agression to the line vvould vvork