A few questions

First what makes something a preamp? is My bad monkey a preamp? It has volume, high, low and gain.

Second a lot of amps are coming out as hybrids, such as the orange bass terror, with a tube pre and a ss power. That considered, is there a dramatic shift in tone from that?

I have always had an SS bass amp, never even really played a tube one, and my guitar amps for the while have been tube. I really like the toadies (rubber neck and pre rubber neck only, rest is shite) anyways, their bassist plays a P bass, or Rick 4001 into an Ampeg SVT 3 pro. Now I have a P bass, and I love her tone, it's one of the best ever in my opinion. What preamp etc would need I buy to add that almost diesel engine sounding grind out of my gear? I am interested in tube based preamps, but I saw someone say those were a pointless money waste. Then their is the SansAmp bass driver, which people say is wonderful but doesn't have a Mids knob and scoops you're tone, I don't know if that's true is it? I'd think if it wasn't there you're mids would remain unadulterated?
I'd say the mids are just untouched but that might be me.
Anyway, I love the Sansamp bass driver but a lot of people I know swear by the Aguilar Tone Hammer and I have also heard good things about the Hartke Bass Attack (which is quite a bit cheaper)
You really need to decide what you want from an amp.
The SVT-3 I believe has a tube pre-amp and a solid-state power amp,which would certainly deliver that 'diesel engine' grind your after.
A tube power section is very different.If your not sure as to what constitutes a pre-amp and a power amp,have a look in the bass FAQ,should answer some of your questions
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ok then, so I if I have my completely SS amp, and run say a tube based over drive pedal with an EQ, would that give me the same sound as a tube preamp SS power amp?

Also what's a bogan
if its what I think it is its reference to the hitchikers guide to the galaxy. I could be wrong though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by askrere
Ok then, so I if I have my completely SS amp, and run say a tube based over drive pedal with an EQ, would that give me the same sound as a tube preamp SS power amp?

Also what's a bogan

It might, but there is usually a big difference between a tube preamp and an all-tube amplifier. Specifically, the all-tube amplifier will have more than one preamp tube. It will also have an output transformer that adds a lot to the tone.

Your best bet is to try a few pedals with your rig and see if you get the sound you are looking for. While it might be a heresy to say this (it certainly is among guitarists), tubes are not the magical tone-generating devices many people think they are. You can get plenty of great tones with good solid-state gear.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley