Hello,

Let's share tips about songwriting What strategies/algorithms (if any) do you prefer for songwriting. Do you start with melody? Maybe with chord progression or cool riff..?
For me personally virtually ANY music element can initiate to write a cool song/piece of music. Some people create a "map" of the song before the process...
I play random things until I find something that sounds good and try and do something with it.

Sometimes I never even get past the first step, in which case I usually give up playing in frustration and go and do something else.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
I play random things until I find something that sounds good and try and do something with it.

Sometimes I never even get past the first step, in which case I usually give up playing in frustration and go and do something else.

this
Peavey 6505+
Avatar 412 W/ Vintage 30s G12K100s
Pod HD500
Sometimes the playing random things idea, but also a lot of the time I come up with a tune or riff in my head, then sit down with a guitar and figure out how to play it. Other times its a similar idea with lyrics, I'll come up with a couple of lines then start from there and figure out what sort of melody they need and what other words fit them.

Also, once I've come up with an idea, I'll usually record a basic version of it (verse, chorus, verse, chorus etc) and jam over it to get a few more ideas and also write the lyrics, then re-record a final version of it once I'm done.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I play random riffs (bass or guitar) until I find something I like. Then I will open up GuitarPro and right it down.
Then with GP I work out a simple guitar or bass line depending on whatever I started with. After this the I add a second guitar or a keyboard playing a melody or playing full bar chords. After this, I stick in the drums.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty dull, the drum beats are always very simple, and I would never be able to write lyrics for the life of me!

P.S. Also, this doesn't really have to be done in GP, you could record your riffs into Audacity.
Anytime I pick up the guitar I usually just make up random stuff and improvise. So I'll usually start there until I come up with a tasty riff. Once I have the riff down I'll usually make that the verse and then come up with a bigger sounding chorus based off the riff (usually some sort of chord progression). Then I just play between the verse and chorus and sing whatever comes to my head until a good melody falls into place. Then I take what I have from the random improvised lyrics and revise and expand them. And finally I think about adding a bridge or figuring out where I want to take solo or add other guitar parts.
well for me i usually write about what pisses me off about the world (corruption ect ect) i have a bunch of different poems iv written and a whole lof of riffs ive got written down and just find a riff that suits the mood of the song. its never anything special but its great fun to do.
It varies every single time.

Often, it's a case of a phrase that's stuck in my head and I think 'this should be the hook line for a song' and then I might write it down and forget about it for a bit. Then, it could be days, weeks or months later and I'll have a melody in my head and try to fit it with it.

Sometimes, I start with a nice chord progression, or lick. But my best songs seem to come from the words themselves.