For some reason i always know when a song is in C# minor. I can tell instantly. It sounds lonely and desolate. Message in a bottle is a great example of this.

What is your most recognisable key ?
that's a weird question.

if you change the key of message in a bottle, it should still more or less sound 'lonely and desolate' (i only use the air quotes because i'm assuming you're right, i dont know the song well enough)

it's an interesting question, but a weird one. I would have thought C major was the most recognisable, purely because C major is such a common key.

i have a theory, bear with me on this, but i think there's a tendancy in a large bulk of musicians who play standard tuned guitars to choose their key based on how they like to play. i.e. there are more open chords when playing in C major than there are when playing, i dunno, A# major or something. Maybe that's why most of the songs you hear in C# minor have a distinctive feel to them...... the particular chords in it which make it sound that way are more accessible and practical on a standard tuned guitar than say other chord progressions in that key.

just a theory, not backed up by much other than imagination, so feel free to discard it.
Quote by voodoochild23
i have a theory, bear with me on this, but i think there's a tendancy in a large bulk of musicians who play standard tuned guitars to choose their key based on how they like to play. i.e. there are more open chords when playing in C major than there are when playing, i dunno, A# major or something. Maybe that's why most of the songs you hear in C# minor have a distinctive feel to them...... the particular chords in it which make it sound that way are more accessible and practical on a standard tuned guitar than say other chord progressions in that key.

Guitarists like keys that have the notes of the open strings in them: C, D, G, Am, Em, Dm, etc.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
G major.

I can just tell.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
uhhh...the Black Keys? the key to my heart?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
E minor and D minor because of all those metal bands chugging the low E-string :|
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
i can hear C# minor well, too. i can hear most keys, actually. but not all. Ab major escapes me every time.

D major seems to be pretty recognizable.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i can hear C# minor well, too. i can hear most keys, actually. but not all. Ab major escapes me every time.

D major seems to be pretty recognizable.

If Ab Major escapes you often, can't you "reverse-engineer" your thought process and figure it out? Like I can hear every interval but a m6, so I know if I can't figure it out I know it's a m6.

I can hear Eb Major pretty well, but I don't study keys as often as I should. I changed my thought process over the last couple of months/years to hear the chords instead.
I can always tell A minor...

Why, I just don't know, and most stuff I write, if its minor, is in A minor...

And it feels natural to play it.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I can only recognise major and minor keys I thought identifying the exact key by ear required perfect pitch.
That being said, a lot of music I listen to is in Em
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
That being said, a lot of music I listen to is in Em

Not that surprising Mr Hetfield.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Not that surprising Mr Hetfield.

I'm not a metallica fan
I just thought farty mriedman sounds wrong
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000