Page 1 of 2
assuming you both actually went to college and studied.

i need to know to be prepared for when i actually go to college in 4 weeks or so, just roughly how many hours a day/week you studied and how you spread your studying over your subjects.

and i also need to know what you regretted doing/not doing in college, and if you want to troll, can you leave a few serious notes by too? i really need it, and the amount of experienced college grads i have around here is very limited.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by blue_strat
Depends on the course.

i'm asking of your experience.

i'm taking as level mathematics, biology, chemistry, psychology.
I spent on average four hours a night actually studying and two months before exams or on holidays I would be awake from 8am until 10pm studying.

Still... I didnt walk out of uni with excellent grades though. I kinda burnt myself out at the end and didnt do too well in my finals. You have to work hard but dont over do it.

Edit:

I thought you meat college as in uni.

For AS and A Levels I spent between 2 - 4 hours a nigh studying and most of the free periods in college going over classroom notes or pissing about in the common room.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Aug 4, 2011,
i really screwed around in high school so when i went to college i had to learn how to study. It was hard at first but once you get into the swing of things it gets easier. Get used to 4-5 hours of sleep a night and not from fun parties. If you dedicate to partying you will most likely flunk out. i am not saying there is not fun to be had but college is a buttload of work if you want to graduate with good grades.
i went full time to Penn State. I took full work loads of classes each semester so although there was lots of free time i had to study a lot. don't fall behind! I loved college and had a lot of fun and great memories.
Not a lot. I thought it was as easy as school. I was disappoint. I started studying harder. Grades got better. Bro.
A couple of hours a week, and maybe 10 hours in the weekend. A month before the exams a lot more, but max 8hours a day.
didn't have the best grades, but hey! Succeeded
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
I did almost nothing in high school. First semester of uni I went to all the classes but did very little study outside the class. Second semester about halfway through I started doing study, though didn't quite know how to handle it. Next two semesters was learning how to get some balance in my study without burning myself out, gradually increased how much study I did though was still burning myself out near exams. Last semester I did much better, and hoping to improve on it again this semester. In terms of study time it's hard to quantify, but I read all the textbooks, and each chapter would take between 2-4 hours, then there was revision later on.

Overall though, it depends on how much you force yourself to commit to studying. If you can do it, you're fine. If you can't then it's going to be rough learning how.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Guitardude19
I spent on average four hours a night actually studying and two months before exams or on holidays I would be awake from 8am until 10pm studying.

Still... I didnt walk out of uni with excellent grades though. I kinda burnt myself out at the end and didnt do too well in my finals. You have to work hard but dont over do it.

Edit:

I thought you meat college as in uni.

For AS and A Levels I spent between 2 - 4 hours a nigh studying and most of the free periods in college going over classroom notes or pissing about in the common room.

hm.

the latter seems more appropriate, cheers for sharing

Quote by zenbone
i really screwed around in high school so when i went to college i had to learn how to study. It was hard at first but once you get into the swing of things it gets easier. Get used to 4-5 hours of sleep a night and not from fun parties. If you dedicate to partying you will most likely flunk out. i am not saying there is not fun to be had but college is a buttload of work if you want to graduate with good grades.
i went full time to Penn State. I took full work loads of classes each semester so although there was lots of free time i had to study a lot. don't fall behind! I loved college and had a lot of fun and great memories.

thanks for sharing, just out of interest, did you waste a lot of time partying?

Quote by Darkshade666
Not a lot. I thought it was as easy as school. I was disappoint. I started studying harder. Grades got better. Bro.

i've had a million people tell me college will be much much harder, so i hopefully won't be like that.

bro.
Hmmmm, On the course I did, we had a hell of a lot of smaller written assigments. Sometimes one a class, at one point. Then exams on top, if you got poor marks we just kept trying till things improved, so actually reading material, and studying was benficial if you didn't want to create a never ending work load.
Quote by dann_blood
I did almost nothing in high school. First semester of uni I went to all the classes but did very little study outside the class. Second semester about halfway through I started doing study, though didn't quite know how to handle it. Next two semesters was learning how to get some balance in my study without burning myself out, gradually increased how much study I did though was still burning myself out near exams. Last semester I did much better, and hoping to improve on it again this semester. In terms of study time it's hard to quantify, but I read all the textbooks, and each chapter would take between 2-4 hours, then there was revision later on.

Overall though, it depends on how much you force yourself to commit to studying. If you can do it, you're fine. If you can't then it's going to be rough learning how.

yeah. i was hating myself for not studying for the gcse exams last year, all i did was go over past papers until i aced them all. i'm looking to commit to around 3-4 hours a day, including time i get on free lessons in the library.

Quote by Gui_Lux
A couple of hours a week, and maybe 10 hours in the weekend. A month before the exams a lot more, but max 8hours a day.
didn't have the best grades, but hey! Succeeded

what grades did you get?
When I first started college (UK), I took 4 subjects, every free peirod i was in the library and every night I did the homework and followed up class work until about January when I had my exams and got some good results. I then really relaxed and ended up failing my summer exams. Which I then retook in my second year January exams which went good.

Enjoy college as much as you can, I regret letting it slip past me and don't let the weed get the best of you.
Quote by RhythmsFallSlow
When I first started college (UK), I took 4 subjects, every night I did the homework and followed up class work until about January when I had my exams and got some good results. I then really relaxed and ended up failing my summer exams. Which I then retook in my second year January exams which went good.

Enjoy college as much as you can, I regret letting it slip past me and don't let the weed get the best of you.

what subjects did you take if you don't mind me asking?

also, what college did you go to? i'm going to holy cross if you've heard of it.
Quote by laid-to-waste
hm.

i've had a million people tell me college will be much much harder, so i hopefully won't be like that.

bro.

You'll be fine then. Try to not to get distracted so much and you'll be set.

Bro.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gorelord666
You'll be fine then. Try to not to get distracted so much and you'll be set.

Bro.

aren't you going into college this year too?
Probably about an hour a night when I first started. It's really fluctuated since then though. You're probably going to have to do more based on those courses you just said, though.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by laid-to-waste
aren't you going into college this year too?

Nope. Not for another 2 years. It's different here in the States.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by laid-to-waste

I actually studied more for my AS Levels than my uni course, as the latter was a vocational music one.

I did English Literature, Music, Psychology, and Philosophy & Ethics. Psychology probably involved the most study - you'll need to memorize a couple dozen studies, and who did them. On top of the other three you're doing, you've got a lot of memorization to do, so you'll want to spend a couple of hours each day just revising what you've learned so far, and a couple more expanding into the further reading.
Quote by laid-to-waste

I did very different A levels, but I didn't study at all until a couple of weeks before the exams.
Quote by lushacrous
Probably about an hour a night when I first started. It's really fluctuated since then though. You're probably going to have to do more based on those courses you just said, though.

what courses did you take, and fluctuated how?

Quote by blue_strat
I actually studied more for my AS Levels than my uni course, as the latter was a vocational music one.

I did English Literature, Music, Psychology, and Philosophy & Ethics. Psychology probably involved the most study - you'll need to memorize a couple dozen studies, and who did them. On top of the other three you're doing, you've got a lot of memorization to do, so you'll want to spend a couple of hours each day just revising what you've learned so far, and a couple more expanding into the further reading.

ah, that's good to hear. i'm fine with it, i've read up on a lot of studies already, i'm actually quite personally interested in psychology so memorizing won't be a mechanical issue.
Quote by laid-to-waste
yeah. i was hating myself for not studying for the gcse exams last year, all i did was go over past papers until i aced them all. i'm looking to commit to around 3-4 hours a day, including time i get on free lessons in the library.

I think the worst part about it is that learning by rote isn't really a proper education, you don't learn any of the critical thought processes or how to research or evaluate something. One of the biggest complaints from, say, accounting companies here is that accounting graduates don't understand where to put things in the accounts, and they have to teach most new employees how to do it all again, and it's a systemic problem in fields where the stuff you're supposed to learn becomes applicable in a career situation.

This is just my ramblings, but it's stuff like this that most people don't think about, or think doesn't matter, that has such a widespread impact.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I'm in my second year at the moment.

I should study more. Do as much as you feel comfortable with.

If you don't understand a concept or whatever, look it up. Thats what I do and I get everything. I just dont really study unless i got a test, assignment or exam etc. In that case i'd get a few hours in a day 5 or so days before hand. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Having a really good system of note taking can really cut down the load of study you have to do.
Dear Smelly Brits,
Please clarify that you mean your silly use of the word College which is different to the usage everywhere else.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I did very different A levels, but I didn't study at all until a couple of weeks before the exams.

how'd that work out, and what a levels did you take?

Quote by Tster
I'm in my second year at the moment.

I should study more. Do as much as you feel comfortable with.

If you don't understand a concept or whatever, look it up. Thats what I do and I get everything. I just dont really study unless i got a test, assignment or exam etc. In that case i'd get a few hours in a day 5 or so days before hand. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Having a really good system of note taking can really cut down the load of study you have to do.

although that sounds extremely comforting and fitting, i don't think it'll work out that way. what a levels did you take/what grades did you get last year?

Quote by dann_blood
I think the worst part about it is that learning by rote isn't really a proper education, you don't learn any of the critical thought processes or how to research or evaluate something. One of the biggest complaints from, say, accounting companies here is that accounting graduates don't understand where to put things in the accounts, and they have to teach most new employees how to do it all again, and it's a systemic problem in fields where the stuff you're supposed to learn becomes applicable in a career situation.

This is just my ramblings, but it's stuff like this that most people don't think about, or think doesn't matter, that has such a widespread impact.

yeah, i haven't remembered anything i've learned from my gcses. the moment i closed that last paper, i went home and most of it passed my mind.

i'm afraid that's going to happen in my a-levels too.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Dear Smelly Brits,
Please clarify that you mean your silly use of the word College which is different to the usage everywhere else.

+1

Do what we do in NI and just call it 'tech' or something.
Quote by laid-to-waste
how'd that work out, and what a levels did you take?

Did History, Politics and English Literature. I'm more of an arts guy. I got three As

I also did AS Music, but dropped out because it was shitty.
Last edited by Pagan-Pie at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Did History, Politics and English Literature. I'm more of an arts guy. I got three As

how was english literature?
Quote by laid-to-waste
how was english literature?

Well I'm from N. Ireland so my syllabus was very different to what yours might be, especially since I did mine two years ago. However, it was quite good. Really just depends what books you are given etc. It was, on balance, my least favourite subject.
Quote by laid-to-waste
what courses did you take, and fluctuated how?

As far as I remember I had an intro to Informatics (computing) course, intro to philosophy, finite math, english, and I know I had another class or two, but those were the classes I mainly studied for.

And the next two semesters, I took easier courses, so I probably studied about half of what I used to do. And then the last semester was my hardest ever, took two computing classes (one on programming where we had almost no supervision, one as designing things with human use in mind), a current events (which is in no way my specialty and had me study at least a half hour a night just to be able to participate in class discussions) focusing on social media's role in current events like the Egypt thing that happened earlier this year, and a couple other joke classes. My main problem was that every single one of these classes had final projects instead of finals, so I ended up doing about 8 projects (ranging between a video I shot in about a week to a heavily, heavily researched 10 page paper) in a month, which took up about 90% of my free time, to the point that I skipped some classes to work on projects for other classes. However, I had no finals, so at least I got to tease all my friends the last week

EDIT: And let me just add that I got all A's last semester, which were the best grades I've ever gotten in my life.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Last edited by lushacrous at Aug 4, 2011,
A Levels? I did Maths, Physics, History and Geography. Spent most of my free time in the library doing my homeworks, but I didn't really do much work besides that unless an exam was around the corner. It was pretty easy to use most of my free periods for studying because they were at a different time to all my mates', but even then i didn't use all of them. If I had a free period at the end of the day, I'd usually just go home. I hardly did any work at all outside of the school until exams were close.

That's always been my style, take it easy for most of the year, just doing what I need to, then work my ass off when an exam was coming up. It worked for me, got Straight A's, but then again A Levels are easy.

Did the same sort of thing when I went to uni. I did engineering, which is a heavily timetabled subject with not that much work to do outside of that, at least when compared with arts subjects. I only did what I had to for most of the year, and then completely devoted myself to studying for about a month and a half when it came to exam time. It worked again, but it was close. I just scraped into the first class grade boundary in the end, so maybe I should have done a little more work. On the other hand you could say that it was efficient, and didn't have any wasted effort.
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by RhythmsFallSlow
I did A level Maths, Physics, Music Tech and ICT.

I miss college

how was mathematics/physics?

also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you study/what grades did you get?
I didn't study enough (none at all except for an hour or so before my exams) my first year, got a lot of B's and C's. I got a N/C in one class. Moral of the story, study until you understand what they're going over in class, review before exams.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
A Levels? I did Maths, Physics, History and Geography. Spent most of my free time in the library doing my homeworks, but I didn't really do much work besides that unless an exam was around the corner. It was pretty easy to use most of my free periods for studying because they were at a different time to all my mates', but even then i didn't use all of them. If I had a free period at the end of the day, I'd usually just go home. I hardly did any work at all outside of the school until exams were close.

That's always been my style, take it easy for most of the year, just doing what I need to, then work my ass off when an exam was coming up. It worked for me, got Straight A's, but then again A Levels are easy.

Did the same sort of thing when I went to uni. I did engineering, which is a heavily timetabled subject with not that much work to do outside of that, at least when compared with arts subjects. I only did what I had to for most of the year, and then completely devoted myself to studying for about a month and a half when it came to exam time. It worked again, but it was close. I just scraped the first in the end, so manybe I should have done a little more work. On the other hand you could say that it was efficient, and didn't have any wasted effort.

Quote by lushacrous
As far as I remember I had an intro to Informatics (computing) course, intro to philosophy, finite math, english, and I know I had another class or two, but those were the classes I mainly studied for.

And the next two semesters, I took easier courses, so I probably studied about half of what I used to do. And then the last semester was my hardest ever, took two computing classes (one on programming where we had almost no supervision, one as designing things with human use in mind), a current events (which is in no way my specialty and had me study at least a half hour a night just to be able to participate in class discussions) focusing on social media's role in current events like the Egypt thing that happened earlier this year, and a couple other joke classes. My main problem was that every single one of these classes had final projects instead of finals, so I ended up doing about 8 projects (ranging between a video I shot in about a week to a heavily, heavily researched 10 page paper) in a month, which took up about 90% of my free time, to the point that I skipped some classes to work on projects for other classes. However, I had no finals, so at least I got to tease all my friends the last week

EDIT: And let me just add that I got all A's last semester, which were the best grades I've ever gotten in my life.

thanks for sharing.

Quote by CG Man16
I didn't study enough (none at all except for an hour or so before my exams) my first year, got a lot of B's and C's. I got a N/C in one class. Moral of the story, study until you understand what they're going over in class, review before exams.

yeah, i worked that out in high school.
I did an hour or so the day before the exam
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Studying is just for losers who don't already know everything.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Biggest difference would be if your only homework in the class would be to read 20 pages from the textbook or something, in highschool you could skip that shit for no consequence, but in college you have to read, or else it will come back to haunt when a)they move on the next day without going over the new stuff in the readings, leaving you in the dark, which becomes a pretty vicious cycle quickly b)you get a pop quiz the next day that's 5% of your grade c)it shows up in the final and you swear you never learned that in class.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

About an hour or two a week if you're counting studying by myself e.g. homework and research and shit of that sort. I rarely skip classes; a habit of which I am very fond to this day, and one I highly suggest you pick up. So I usually learn about 60-70% of the course during class and around 10% by doing homework. But, then again, it all depends on the course.

I'm majoring in marketing and am thinking of going either finance or management for a minor.

PS: Keep saying next semester is THE semester where you start studying seriously and don't **** around all day.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Last edited by Grimriffer at Aug 4, 2011,
I just finished my A Levels and hope to go to uni. My one piece of advice is use those free periods and definitely work hard and don't leave it all to the last minute. Unless you are really clever you can get away with no work.

Plus your subjects you chose are very hard. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2