Hi fellow guitarists

I'm looking for a good all round comfortable and top quality chair for my DAW based studio, in which I also play a lot of guitar. My searching has brought me to the 3 chairs mentioned in the thread title. I wondered whether any guitar players out there own any of these chairs and if so if they would mind telling me how they find them - comfort-wise - when playing guitar. I'm particularly concerned with the arms rests. I know it is possible to move and drop them down on these chairs, but is it possible to get them out of the way enough so that they do not interfere with the body of the guitar? Would also be interested to hear how quick and easy the arms are to move on each chair....

Many thanks in advance.

Max
Well, this isn't a question you see every day. Happily enough, I happen to work across the hall from an ergonomics showroom, so I might be of some use. The Mirra is definitely no good - the arms will not come down far enough to play guitar. The Aeron might work, I didn't find it all that comfortable but the arms do have more adjustable range. The Steelcase Leap is similar but more comfortable, and the arms go almost all the way down. I think the design on the Leap lets you pull the armrests out completely, if that would be more convenient.

The Freedom headrest would probably be my choice, though. You can put the arms nearly flat against the seat, and they tilt up and down, too. Plus, they're padded, so unlike the Leap they're not going to scuff your guitar if you hit them. I think that's the winner, unless you're willing to go with one of those ball chairs. That would offer you by far the most room, but they're not for everyone. I think they're great, but a lot of people want something more traditional.
Great help - many thanks. If it is practical and you wouldn't mind, it would be great if you were able to try them out with guitar playing in mind.....

If anyone has any of these chairs (including those mentioned by Roc8995), I would love to see pics of them with the arm rests in the most guitar friendly positions.....
uhhh, i don't think anyone else works across from an ergonomics show room. i think it is pretty wild you even got a response that was so informed.

when in hotel rooms i do one of 2 things (cuz their office chairs ALWAYS suck for playing guitar)

1) i play standing up

2) i get the ottoman and sit on that

that is pure randomness colin
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Why not invest in an office chair friendly guitar? hehe
It really does depend on the instrument in question. A strat player would need a different seat than a Flying V player and so on and so forth.
Quote by gumbilicious
uhhh, i don't think anyone else works across from an ergonomics show room. i think it is pretty wild you even got a response that was so informed.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I'm not looking for someone who works across from an ergonomics show room. Just people who might own one of these chairs and use it when playing guitar.... If I hear from several, I'll then a get a good idea of which ones will work, which ones won't, and any other relevant info....

Quote by gumbilicious
when in hotel rooms i do one of 2 things (cuz their office chairs ALWAYS suck for playing guitar)

1) i play standing up

2) i get the ottoman and sit on that

that is pure randomness

Thanks for that - but I'm looking for something for my home studio, not a hotel! The only travelling I tend to do is camping, and I don't use a chair at all in that scenario - rather, I sit round the camp fire and annoy my missus (who was under the false impression that our camping trip would give her a break from my guitar playing - hahahaha = wrong!).

Quote by TheMetalRiffer
Why not invest in an office chair friendly guitar? hehe

That's exactly what I am trying to do..... But I want to get something that is ultra comfortable as well, and which won't lead to back problems. So the essence of my post is: are these office chairs guitar friendly?

Quote by TheMetalRiffer
It really does depend on the instrument in question. A strat player would need a different seat than a Flying V player and so on and so forth.

Good point and something I should have added originally.... I play RG Ibanez guitars, so we're talking superstrat shapes here.

Cheers

Max
You sir need to roll into such a showroom with axe in hand. epic.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
What kind of person compares chairs for guitars?

Just get a really big and comfy one as well as a guitar stool.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by NeutralFan
What kind of person compares chairs for guitars?

Just get a really big and comfy one as well as a guitar stool.

I would.
I built pedals and do need to test.
Its easier to test in my workshop as I'm building/modifying stuff.

And Max Dread, Roc's post above mentions that he works across from an ergonomics showroom. He probably gave you the best advice you are going to see here on this subject.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 8, 2011,
I keep an armless folding chair in my study in addition to my desk chair.

Even with the Aeron, you're going to have to sit forward.
I took the arm that my guitar's body would hit off of my chair I mean unless you made your own chair or something your really not going to find a chair for a guitar, but you might look for a drum throne with a back, which would basically be a chair without arms.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by CodeMonk
I would.
I built pedals and do need to test.
Its easier to test in my workshop as I'm building/modifying stuff.

But why would you buy a fancy office chair when you can get a perfectly good guitar stool for about £20? Just buy whatever chair you think would be good for studio work as well as a cheap stool, surely.

This whole thread seems insane to me.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by NeutralFan
But why would you buy a fancy office chair when you can get a perfectly good guitar stool for about £20? Just buy whatever chair you think would be good for studio work as well as a cheap stool, surely.

This whole thread seems insane to me.

I'm sure loads of people would love having both, I'm sure I would. Have you ever tracked guitars whilst sitting on a cheap stool for long periods of time?! I for one hate having a numb arse and a sore back
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
I'm sure loads of people would love having both, I'm sure I would. Have you ever tracked guitars whilst sitting on a cheap stool for long periods of time?! I for one hate having a numb arse and a sore back

Then why not have both? Get a nice office chair that kisses your arse to sleep whenever you just want to sit down, and get a cheap stool for playing small bouts of guitar. You could even make sure that your office chair has detachable armrests so that you could still play the guitar on it when you really want or need to. However, the guitar stool would be more convenient most of the time.

Me, I just sit on my bed, which is surprisingly good for extended sessions of playing. In a studio or when I need to show off, I stand up.

Works for me.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_