So, I'm going to be upgrading my guitar rig soon, and I'm considering buying a new head to go side-by-side with my 5150. I want to use the new amp for old thrash type stuff (in the vain of Kill 'Em All), as well as for musics like Cloudkicker. So, something tight and clear. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as my main guitar. However, I have installed DiMarzio D Activator-X pickups in both the neck and bridge (similar to the X2N) as well as a Seymour Duncan Preamp Module which has turned those into what are essentially active pickups. The thing is HOT and I tend to get more gain out of amps because of it. Here is what I'm considering:

1) Peavey Windsor Head
2) Bugera 1990 Head
3) Crate BV120H Head

I like the Marshall-esque crunch type tone, which I've heard that all of these amps can compare to. Unfortunately, I am unable to demo any of the above mentioned amps as no local music shops carry them.

As far as the Windsor goes, the only thing I don't care for is the fact that it's one channel. For the Bugera, with various products I've bought from them in the past, reliablity is a concern because my 6262, 333, and 333XL have all died on me. And for the Crate, I've heard that it's overly bright. I do not like scooped mids, and I'm not much of a person that cranks the gain to 100%. I enjoy pretty high mids in my tone. I am also considering purchasing an Ibanez TS808.

Which would suit me best?
Blue Voodoo's aren't bad but since you can't try one it's tough to recommend. the Winsor is decent but as you already know single channel. if you need cleans and want to use the amps distortion as well then it won't be a good option.
Quote by monwobobbo
Blue Voodoo's aren't bad but since you can't try one it's tough to recommend. the Winsor is decent but as you already know single channel. if you need cleans and want to use the amps distortion as well then it won't be a good option.

So, should I just pass up the Blue Voodoo? I only really plan to use the distortion channel on the amps.
I don't know the rest but the BV has great cleans, 2 channel amp.

Distortion can be fizzy but you need to EQ it. The presence control is what owns the amp. Your tone can live and die from it. Personally I think it is great for kill'em all type music, if not still just a tad bright.
Quote by Skylar W.
So, should I just pass up the Blue Voodoo? I only really plan to use the distortion channel on the amps.

Both the BV and Windsor can be had for CHEAP on the used market.

If you need cleans go for the BV.

Also I have never used the bugera so I left it out of the comments.
Quote by R45VT
Both the BV and Windsor can be had for CHEAP on the used market.

If you need cleans go for the BV.

Also I have never used the bugera so I left it out of the comments.

Sweet, man. Which do you personally prefer of the two? The Windsor or the BV?
Quote by Skylar W.

the BV's tend to have a soundof their own which may or may not be what you want. the Windsor does have that marshall sound (but don't expect it to be exact but reasonably close for the price) and may be a safer bet. normally i'd say play them but since you can't check as many youtube vids as you can (bear in mind that the audio on most won't be truly representative but will give you an idea)
Quote by monwobobbo
the BV's tend to have a soundof their own which may or may not be what you want. the Windsor does have that marshall sound (but don't expect it to be exact but reasonably close for the price) and may be a safer bet. normally i'd say play them but since you can't check as many youtube vids as you can (bear in mind that the audio on most won't be truly representative but will give you an idea)

Cool, man. I'll start diggin' round on YouTube and see what I can find. I'm kind of leaning towards the Peavey just naturally though as I'm kind of biased when it comes to brands of guitar amps.
Quote by jkielq91
Check out Jet City. Very popular and well affordable amps.

Bugera 1990 can sound awesome for thrash to!

You could also check out used Marshall's on ebay and similar sites.

I'll look into Jet City. As far as the 1990 vs. the Windsor -- it's similar to JCM900 vs a single channel 800, right? I'll see what I can find for Marshall on eBay and such as well.
I hated the Windsor I had, but for that use I think it'd be a good fit. Its cleans are either non-existent or shitty depending on how well you can use a volume knob.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I hated the Windsor I had, but for that use I think it'd be a good fit. Its cleans are either non-existent or shitty depending on how well you can use a volume knob.

Okay, so just real stale kind of lifeless cleans? I'm planning to only really use the dirty channel, but good cleans would still be nice when I would like to use them.
Quote by Skylar W.
Okay, so just real stale kind of lifeless cleans? I'm planning to only really use the dirty channel, but good cleans would still be nice when I would like to use them.

Ya its just that by the time you lower the guitar volume enough to clean it up it sounds pretty thin. That amp only really sounds good at higher volumes/gain levels... In my opinion of course. A TS for it is a great idea. It sounds great with a boost for thrashy kind of stuff, I just don't play that stuff at all.

Worth noting: I had the stock 4x12 it came with, so my results may be based on an inferior cab... I'm sure it contributed but I doubt I would have liked it even with a better cab.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Ya its just that by the time you lower the guitar volume enough to clean it up it sounds pretty thin. That amp only really sounds good at higher volumes/gain levels... In my opinion of course. A TS for it is a great idea. It sounds great with a boost for thrashy kind of stuff, I just don't play that stuff at all.

Worth noting: I had the stock 4x12 it came with, so my results may be based on an inferior cab... I'm sure it contributed but I doubt I would have liked it even with a better cab.

Alright. I'm gonna see if the music store can maybe order one in for me to try out, one of the Windsor heads, since they claim to be a Peavey dealer. I'm sure that a TS9 or TS808 would kinda fatten up the tone a bit.
Quote by Skylar W.
I'll look into Jet City. As far as the 1990 vs. the Windsor -- it's similar to JCM900 vs a single channel 800, right? I'll see what I can find for Marshall on eBay and such as well.

I hope to buy a Jet City in the not to distant future and I play thrash, hair metal and blues.
Quote by tubetime86

It's not you - the Windsor sucks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.