I know that some people use their thumb on the low E string. I have tried it a few times but my thumb does not want to bend enough to get the E string to ring out. Any suggestions?
-Mike
I have tried it a few times

You haven't practiced it until you've tried it a few hundred times
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Its kind of some thing you have to ge used to. I used to find it uncomfortable but now I do it all the time.

Check out some youtube lessons on Jimi Hendrix style, that may help out quite a bit.

Your thumb is also great for muting out the low E string whilst playing chords that don't include it.

It has many uses and is a great trick to have down.
yea ive adopted the thumb use after learning purple haze by jimi. but a song i found very helpful in practicing the technique is Cant Stop by the chilli peppers. give it a go!
Quote by jkielq91

Your thumb is also great for muting out the low E string whilst playing chords that don't include it.

aw i always thought i looked stupid by doing so , +1 to my selfsteem

just keep practicing, although a thin neck and/or large finger could help...

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg

I have a thin guitar and a wide neck guitar but I don't see any difference in being able to wrap my thumb around to hit the E
-Mike
Quote by HectorBznRg

A lot of my teachers tell me to do it. Though it is mainly about which method you find most comfortable.
Quote by jkielq91
A lot of my teachers tell me to do it. Though it is mainly about which method you find most comfortable.

What are the methods?
-Mike
Widefingers you might wanna check out Justingutiar.com's jimi hendrix lessons, he explains thumb technique in one of them as far as i can reckon.

I can only agree that the thumb over technique is very annoying at first just keep practicing it and you will eventually get the hang of it ;D

Edit:

I just found the link here for you http://justinguitar.com/en/RH-011-HendrixRhythm2.php
Last edited by ZoaL at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Widefingers
What are the methods?

if you are doing something like an A shaped bar chord you can use the finger fretting the 5th string to lightly touch the 6 string, making it muted, and you can also lay any spare fingers that are not needed for playing the chord across the strings that need muting out.
Quote by ZoaL
Widefingers you might wanna check out Justingutiar.com's jimi hendrix lessons, he explains thumb technique in one of them as far as i can reckon.

I can only agree that the thumb over technique is very annoying at first just keep practicing it and you will eventually get the hang of it ;D

Edit:

I just found the link here for you http://justinguitar.com/en/RH-011-HendrixRhythm2.php

Dido to this. I have smaller hands and it took me prolly 2 years or so to manage to get it with some consistency on acoustic guitar. Its impossible to truly play Hendrix without it and is pretty much essential to play a lot of Hendrix inspired players like Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Mayer, John Frusciante etc. Depending on ur hands/guitar it can take a lot of work but once u get it down you can really add a lot to your playing and u won't want to go back.
are we talking about using your thumb with your chord hand or strum hand?
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
Quote by logan97
are we talking about using your thumb with your chord hand or strum hand?

fretboard

Quote by jmk1387
Dido to this. I have smaller hands and it took me prolly 2 years or so to manage to get it with some consistency on acoustic guitar. Its impossible to truly play Hendrix without it and is pretty much essential to play a lot of Hendrix inspired players like Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Mayer, John Frusciante etc. Depending on ur hands/guitar it can take a lot of work but once u get it down you can really add a lot to your playing and u won't want to go back.

Many rock players do it to, it can be found in Randy Rhoads riffs, Megadeth riffs and many others. I use my thumb just to do certain chord shapes, like a one particular 9chord voicing.

I'll use my thumb as a mute for almost any song that involves strumming chords or funk.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 5, 2011,
you should find it quite easy once the intial awkwardness is over, the thumb is naturally stronger than the other fingers, the harder part is incorpating it into your overall technique, i've done it for around a year now and i've completly changed the way i hold guitars as a result