So I had a guy come by today, cause I was looking at a guitar I was planning on buying which had the invader. I was mainly looking for a new guitar with 2 Humbuckers cause all my guitar have HSS config.

And When I played it They're was crazy amounts of excess noise coming from the pickup. (invader) The guitar was an Ibanez RG321.

I used to own a Ibanez RG2EX1 and that guitar with the stock pups didnt make any noise.

He told me its cause it's high output and I had to let the guitar go cause that noise wasn't gonna be good in a live situation.

So my question is
Are all high output pickups gonna be noisy like that?
Does a noise gate take that sound away?

I wasn't using any type of Noisegate (through a Peavey 3120). My other guitar with a dimarzio Paff fred(I believe) doesnt have any noise at all.

P.S I was in pretty high gain mode, but not balls out.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
The grounding's probably bollocked on that pickup, hence the noisy-ness.

I have a Bare Knuckle Mircale Man which is 17.5KΩ, louder than the 16.8KΩ of the Invader, and its silent as a baby when I'm not playing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm not to familiar with pickups, is the grounding thing easy to fix? or Can it be fixed at all?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
It involves take out the pickup and checking that the bare and green wires are grounded, and that the red and white wires are wired together and covered up.

Its a simple task if you know what to look for and what to do, wouldn't take 5 minutes. If you don't know what you're doing, go read up about pickup installation and check Seymour Duncan's website for wiring schematics. Compare those against the pickup installation.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I've never done a pickup change, so Any tips for a first timer?

I want to be able to learn. Is there any way I can completely mess up a guitar? ( not talking about the invader anymore, just changing pickups)

Is its just like try and fail kind of thing? Is it hard to get used to? Pretty straight forward?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Any tips?

Watch where you put the soldering iron, and make sure you pick it up on the correct end. Oh, watch where your iron is at all times, you might accidentally burn wood or wires.

Other than that, try to get as high wattage soldering irons as possible. Technically 40 - 60 watts is sufficient, but if you can get a 70 - 80 watts, it helps if you want to do a neat job on the pots. Also, make sure its a fine tip solder.

There are lots of tutorials on UG, youtube and across the web, read them and get a feel of what you need to do.

To pop in and replace a pickup is about the easiest thing you can do, but do watch that your iron is not burning holes in the insulating material of the pups wires.

You can't really destroy a guitar, the pots and pups are replaceable... but you could damage the wire or the pups itself, oh yeah, you could also burn yourself, but its not rocket science, and if you're careful its nothing irreversible.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
okay great. would taking out a pickup from a guitar and putting it back in help any for experience? Or would it just be a waste of time?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
do an internet search for the schematics for that guitar, they can usually be found easily online. then trace the wires on the pickups to make sure they match. i have invaders and they sound great (be advised Invader pickups are hated like a spider amp on this forum... but i have had no problems).
I have invaders in my Jackson Kelly and it is dead silent. I went way overboard and grounded the control cavity as well as the pick-up cavities.

Like they said above most likely the installed them wrong. There are plenty of ways to screw up the grounding of a guitar. The pick-up cavities should be grounded(coat with copper tape or poor mans way- tinfoil), along with the bridge and V/T pots.

Do you remember if the noise went away when you touched the strings?
Quote by Aashraya
okay great. would taking out a pickup from a guitar and putting it back in help any for experience? Or would it just be a waste of time?

Yes and no.

Yes in that at least you know what goes where and how the wires should run.

No in that when changing between brands of pups, it does take a little bit of research to match the colour coding of the wires as different brands have different wire colour codes. At the end of the day, unless you burn your guitar or snap wire windings on a pup, any damage to the pots or pup selector is usually a cheap replacement
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
My pups have an insane resistance of 24/26k ohms. They are quiet as hell, and I don't even have a cavity plate on my guitar, just tape.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
==== http://www.needmalls.com ======
Jordan 2011 shoes $48
Jame shoes $30--39
jordan air max oakland raiders $30--39;
Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35
Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $20;
Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) $30
T shirts (Polo ,edhardy,lacoste) $15
Jean(True Religion,edhardy,coogi) $30
Sunglasses (Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15
New era cap $15
paypal accept,delivery door to door free shipping
===== http://www.needmalls.com ======
Okay great thanks for all the help. Yea the sound was still there when I placed my hand in a plam mute position (not playing). Thats why I let the guitar go cause I didnt feel like dealing with the noise.

Okay now the invader thing is over. I just wanted to know a bit about pickup changes as I want to learn to do them on my own.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit