Poll: What about that thing I said?
Poll Options
View poll results: What about that thing I said?
I think it's a good idea, and would take part.
37 49%
I think it's a good idea, but of no use to me.
22 29%
I think it's not a good idea.
5 7%
Bugger it, we can give it a shot.
12 16%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 5
OK, so this has been playing on my mind a lot lately. I work at a multimedia centre in Glasgow. it has a recording studio (which is decent) an art studio and a ton of professional cameras, as well as on of the biggest (if not the biggest) green screens in Europe, as well as two rooms which would be great for live performance and band practise.

Sounds magical, doesn't it? It conjures images of artists of all ilks working together in one big harmonious hippy love fest of niceness. But, it's barely used, and it's a total waste. I was talking with a guy who volunteers there, complaining about how all it's potential is being wasted, and we started talking about Andy Warhol's factory.
For those of you who don't see where this is going, click here.

So, this got me thinking. We're all artists, right? All of us are musicians (I'm almost completely sure) and amongst us are people who dabble in other forms of art as well. There are composers, guitar players, drummers, singers, bassists, keyboard players of many types, people with a lot of knowledge of mixing and producing, people who make visual art such as (animated) movies and all other kinds of crap. A chap has just made a thread saying he would like people to send him stuff for him to produce and mix, which was what pushed me to make this thread.

So, without further gilding the lily and no more ado, I am proposing that we set up some sort of communal Factory style project over the internet, where artists of this forum (and maybe, if this goes well enough we can branch out to other areas of the intershits) can come and work together on projects of various types, all benefiting from the experience of helping each other out using our various skills and arts.

Good idea? You decide!

TL;DR: 3rd paragraph and onwards.

Still TL;DR? 4th and onwards then, you lazy shit.

EDIt: Well this shit has picked up!

For starters, the name has changed to The Actual Project. Do not ask why. At the moment the goal of those involved is put well by psyks:
Quote by psyks
As far as I can tell, this concept, which is now called the actual project, is going to be a web art space where we pick a theme and invite musicians and artists to contribute exhibition style to the site. Then we're going forge it all into a sexy multimedia performance.

I like it.

To try and get this going we've been creating a few things and thongs:

Miniforum
UG Group
A Tinychat
A Subreddit that I'm not sure will even be used much.
An inspirational speech of sorts.
Tumblr; Where things will be displayed until such a time as we have better means.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 7, 2011,
I'm down. Sounds like a good idea.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Sounds awesome. I say go for it!

Wouldn't be of any use to me though, since I live in a different country.

But you should do it.
Quote by Oyface
Sounds awesome. I say go for it!

Wouldn't be of any use to me though, since I live in a different country.

But you should do it.

It's over the internet, yo.

Sounds like a good idea in theory.

Also, unrelated but I've always wanted to Glasgow.

EDIT: As in the verb?
Last edited by EdawMail at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's over the internet, yo.

Ahh.

Guess I didn't read it well enough.

I support this idea.
Quote by EdawMail
Sounds like a good idea in theory.

Also, unrelated but I've always wanted to Glasgow.

EDIT: As in the verb?

I accidentally Glasgow all the time.

I think it would have to be thoroughly thought out and run meticulously. Least Valerie Solanis kicks your door in.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
I think it would have to be thoroughly thought out and run meticulously. Least Valerie Solanis kicks your door in.

It is a bit of a mammoth undertaking, and it will take a bit of work, which is why i wanted to get a feel for what people's thoughts would be before I went ahead and tried to get it working.

It seems to me that the ideal way to do this would be to make a thread and maybe contact a mod or two for publicity and stickihood. From there I would try and compile a list of the people who are interested, and catagorise them based on what they are able to do and what they want to do. There's been a few projects on this website which are reminiscent of this, such as the UG Pokemon game, where people supplied music while other people worked on story and others made maps and programs and such. This would mainly be targeted for smaller projects, creating a hub where say, someone who's recorded some music would like it produced and someone who wants some practise producing can come together and benefit. This obviously should theoretically expand out to people who are making games but want some music, or people who have made a film or animation and want music, or composers who want performers, and so on.

I would think that a forum full of bored teenagers and commies would be jumping at this

That sounds terrific. Like the internet equivalent of a 50's jazz club? Fuck, dude, this needs to happen. I' love to contribute visual art or music.
I say we do this and have the European UGers raid the "multimedia center" you work at and take it over, with guns. Then we establish that as our base, and every UGer from every country will make a pilgrimage to this newly established mecca once a year to contribute something to their artistic preference.
I would be interested, and can provide visual work and the like, but I lack recording equipment
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by kaptink
sounds good man, were you thinking of a separate forum or something?

Maybe if some of the head honchos of these here interwebs get behind it. I don't really have the resources to put a website together for it.
Quote by psyks
That sounds terrific. Like the internet equivalent of a 50's jazz club? Fuck, dude, this needs to happen. I' love to contribute visual art or music.
Yeah, that would be another way of putting it.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I say we do this and have the European UGers raid the "multimedia center" you work at and take it over, with guns. Then we establish that as our base, and every UGer from every country will make a pilgrimage to this newly established mecca once a year to contribute something to their artistic preference.
I would ****ing love it if you guys did. Although it was already going to waste, it is now even wastier now that all the people who knew what they were doing got laid off, so now the place is in the hands of one guy who's barely computer savvy and another guy who knows how to work most things but is disorganised as ****.
Quote by Banjocal
I would be interested, and can provide visual work and the like, but I lack recording equipment

If you can make visual art and write music and ****, even give opinions and feedback, then you can contribute.

Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Banjocal

Just like me. I am still intereste in this though.

We need more people to read this thread. Publicity, now!
I've just been festering with this idea, frantically sitting still and playing chords on my piano.

What is it that makes jazz and art exhibitions in physical spaces so exciting? I heard a couple of interviews recently from Nerdist and marc maron's WTF that mentioned atmosphere in comedy clubs. Both interviewees independently spoke about spaces in clubs. It has to feel intimate, there's got to be a curtain through the door, stages aren't always necessary etc...

More importantly, there's an implied history. Walk into a comedy club, and you'll see photos of comics and performers on the walls. You can only imagine when they performed, what they said, who was in the audience. The mystery plays into your experience and how you interpret a performance.

On the internet, everything is archived. If something happened on youtube once, it's likely still there. There's no history there at all. Well, there's history, but there's no History.

So, what about if we ran like an ephemeral art site. Every so often, we'd just take everything down and put all new stuff up? I imagine there are a lot of artists and animators over at DeviantArt and Newgrounds that would contribute. We could run exhibitions on a theme, and decorate a web page with music, art and animation. That would be fucking cool, dude. Take the idea of a physical art space and manifest a web equivalent.
Last edited by psyks at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
If you can make visual art and write music and ****, even give opinions and feedback, then you can contribute.

i usually do blues, math rock and jazz. i have an idea for a project already: something along the lines of writing a song using only tab, and making the spacing of the tab such that the timing is ambiguous (thats fairly easy anyway). then, showing someone else it, and getting them to play it how they interpret the timing of the song. i dont know if thats anything close to what you have in mind.

feedback and opinions is no issue.

i am a photographer . I can do all sorts of visual stuff at request, and just generally.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by psyks

So, what about if we ran like an ephemeral art site. Every so often, we'd just take everything down and put all new stuff up? I imagine there are a lot of artists and animators over at DeviantArt and Newgrounds that would contribute. We could run exhibitions on a theme, and decorate a web page with music, art and animation. That would be fucking cool, dude. Take the idea of a physical art space and manifest a web equivalent.

i love this idea
Quote by MeGaDeth2314

I like this idea. A lot.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by psyks
It'll be difficult.

We will need others to offer the swords, axes and bows in service.

But it will be great if we can do it.
Quote by Banjocal
i have an idea for a project already: something along the lines of writing a song using only tab, and making the spacing of the tab such that the timing is ambiguous (thats fairly easy anyway). then, showing someone else it, and getting them to play it how they interpret the timing of the song.

That's brilliant!

It reminds me of Frank Zappa's Approximate, where the band was given sheet music, but in some places the rhythm would be notated, but the pitch would not, so the musicians would have to hit/play whatever note/thing came to them at that moment.

It wasn't exactly what I had in mind but things like that would certainly fit into this if it goes as planned.

Quote by Banjocal
i usually do blues, math rock and jazz. i have an idea for a project already: something along the lines of writing a song using only tab, and making the spacing of the tab such that the timing is ambiguous (thats fairly easy anyway). then, showing someone else it, and getting them to play it how they interpret the timing of the song. i dont know if thats anything close to what you have in mind.

I quite like this idea.

I would love to contribute to this project in any way I can.
I've never been part of anything like this, I think it's about bloody time.
This sounds pretty cool.

I'm in, and willing to help with anything.

Quote by MeGaDeth2314

Epic idea.
Or just get a bunch of people with a few ideas and get everyone to help realise it adding in their own touches where relevant [if relevant].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
That's brilliant!

It reminds me of Frank Zappa's Approximate, where the band was given sheet music, but in some places the rhythm would be notated, but the pitch would not, so the musicians would have to hit/play whatever note/thing came to them at that moment.

It wasn't exactly what I had in mind but things like that would certainly fit into this if it goes as planned.

Quite a few avant garde classical composers did what is shown in the below link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_notation_(music)

Something Penderecki does is to write "play a note higher than the last one you just played" and other similar notes on his pieces.

Well, I would probably make is particularly hard to interpret by using odd spacings, liner notes, maybe some graphic notation if it doesn't piss people off, and most certainly writing stuff in odd time signatures but without noting it.

I would try locking you all up in a cottage and berating and beating you all up until you all caved into my philosophy, but I fear it won't be legal now...I would call it... HERRING MASQUERADE COPY!

>_>
Quote by EndTheRapture51
^icwutudidlastsummeraswellasthere

OK, so people seem more interested in psyks' idea of making an independent site. He also suggested taking this idea to DeviantArt and Newgrounds. I think this is great too, but I don't know how to go about it, at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I organise a committee? Would we rather do this via Tinychat?

I'm getting the feeling this project is going to have to come together in the same way the ones it envisions does

Quote by TheBurningFish
OK, so people seem more interested in psyks' idea of making an independent site. He also suggested taking this idea to DeviantArt and Newgrounds. I think this is great too, but I don't know how to go about it, at all.
How about this: We spend a little time creating something like Banjocal's interpretative notation. We post in the recording forums of UltimateGuitar and maybe take it to other recording communities.

Then, we take the finished project to DeviantArt or Newgrounds and preach our case - 'Hey, we're a community of musicians and we're starting a cool web art space. It's going to be like a 50's jazz club, but on the internet. This is our first idea; it's a minimalist, jazz, math rock musical sketch, and we're looking for artists to interpret these ideas visually, as if you were submitting to an exhibition.'

If I know my amateur artists, those romantic kids will be totally ready to do something cool like this.
Last edited by psyks at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
^icwutudidlastsummeraswellasthere

Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I organise a committee? Would we rather do this via Tinychat?

I'm getting the feeling this project is going to have to come together in the same way the ones it envisions does

Okay...

If possible, it might be an idea to set up a private 2chan style imageboard or something. An independent site seems the way to go though... we need something with a forum (unless we use UG for that).

Anyway... I don't know about newgrounds, but deviantart is an idea. I think a tinychat is a good idea but will people come on there enough?

Quote by psyks

Well, for the most part, my part will be writing a score for others to interpret and manipulate to their own tastes. i can also contribute artwork. how many people are involved so far?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by psyks
How about this: We spend a little time creating something like Banjocal's interpretative notation. We post in the recording forums of UltimateGuitar and maybe take it to other recording communities.

Then, we take the finished project to DeviantArt or Newgrounds and preach our case - 'Hey, we're a community of musicians and we're starting a cool web art space. It's going to be like a 50's jazz club, but on the internet. This is our first idea; it's a minimalist, jazz, math rock musical sketch, and we're looking for artists to interpret these ideas visually, as if you were submitting to an exhibition.'

If I know my amateur artists, those romantic kids will be totally ready to do something cool like this.

Flawless. Let's do this.
Quote by Banjocal
Okay...

If possible, it might be an idea to set up a private 2chan style imageboard or something. An independent site seems the way to go though... we need something with a forum (unless we use UG for that).

Anyway... I don't know about newgrounds, but deviantart is an idea. I think a tinychat is a good idea but will people come on there enough?

I think the endgame is an independent website, with a forum. But before anyone commits to that, we need to generate interest.

As for the tinychat, I meant setting one up for right now, so we can talk about this in realtime and not clog up this forum.

I tried to set up a group on this website so we could work using that, but it wouldn't work

I'm interested. Don't really know how I can contribute yet, but I'll let you all know if I figure something out.
Quote by TheBurningFish
Flawless. Let's do this.

I think the endgame is an independent website, with a forum. But before anyone commits to that, we need to generate interest.

As for the tinychat, I meant setting one up for right now, so we can talk about this in realtime and not clog up this forum.

I tried to set up a group on this website so we could work using that, but it wouldn't work

very well: shall we do a TC now then?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
very well: shall we do a TC now then?
Apparently I need to sign up and stuff to make a new one... Bugger it, we'll use the gay thread's one. It never gets used nowadays
http://tinychat.com/ultimatequeer

Quote by TheBurningFish
Apparently I need to sign up and stuff to make a new one... Bugger it, we'll use the gay thread's one. It never gets used nowadays
http://tinychat.com/ultimatequeer

okay. also a bump to get others in.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
How about a UG group?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Like I said, I tried and failed. If someone else could do it that'd be good.

We're also making a subreddit or some other fantastical internet thing I don't understand.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Like I said, I tried and failed. If someone else could do it that'd be good.

We're also making a subreddit or some other fantastical internet thing I don't understand.

So... Reddit?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
it wasn't my idea and I don't know what it is, leave me alone

I'd be willing to pitch in, if I had an idea as to what to do. A cool idea would be one of those minimalist pieces made up of fragments or short melodies played freely. If several people were given like a 3 minute time limit and the resulting improvisations get layered over each other so you end up with one three minute piece made up of several different peoples improvisations. See what I mean?
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by loose bowels
I'd be willing to pitch in, if I had an idea as to what to do. A cool idea would be one of those minimalist pieces made up of fragments or short melodies played freely. If several people were given like a 3 minute time limit and the resulting improvisations get layered over each other so you end up with one three minute piece made up of several different peoples improvisations. See what I mean?

Yeah, very avant-garde too
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Anyone seen the animated short that goes along with "comptine d'un autre été l'après midi"?

Stuff like that, but collab'd would be awesome

I'm down
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
Page 1 of 5