Page 1 of 2
So Pit. If you got signed to a record label and for your band's first album on their label they give each person in your band a $25,000 spending limit for the album. What would you spend the money on? Would you spend it on guitars, amps, pedals, recording equipment, etc?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
yeah, all that shit.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
**** that. That bill would be huge and we'd never pay it back. We'd be stuck in a hole forever.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by laid-to-waste
yeah, all that shit.

Pretty much.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm a DIY kind of guy.

*Throws homemade studio together himself, doesn't need to pay off any loans by whoring himself out.*

[/thread]
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by BladeSlinger
**** that. That bill would be huge and we'd never pay it back. We'd be stuck in a hole forever.

You're thinking too seriously on this. Plus if you're successful enough you should be able to pay it back. Unless you're like Slipknot and have 15 band members.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
A measly $25,000 advance would leave you broke.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd spend about $2,000 on quality studio time, because if we're already a band, we already have equipment.

The rest would go to our rent and car payments.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
You're thinking too seriously on this. Plus if you're successful enough you should be able to pay it back. Unless you're like Slipknot and have 15 band members.

That's a big if.
Labels only give you money because they expect you to earn them even more. If you're relatively unknown, you'll have to tour continuously for several years to pay back the loan for your first album.

My band would just need to pay for some studio time. Then I guess I'd spend the rest on drugs.
Quote by sashki
That's a big if.
Labels only give you money because they expect you to earn them even more. If you're relatively unknown, you'll have to tour continuously for several years to pay back the loan for your first album.

Like I said, you're taking thinking this too seriously. I'm mainly asking what would you spend the money on for your album.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
A lot of money that labels give artists to making an album doesn't need to be paid back, if the album doesn't make any money, the label loses it, the label makes that back though through the successful artists, the money from their success then goes on supporting lesser known groups and so on.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Like I said, you're taking thinking this too seriously. I'm mainly asking what would you spend the money on for your album.

Is it wrong to be serious if you're in a band?
If you want the standard answer, I'll take cocaine and alcohol.
Quote by sashki
Is it wrong to be serious if you're in a band?
If you want the standard answer, I'll take cocaine and alcohol.

Well it was just a hypothetical question on the internet, it's not like I was telling you that I was actually going to offer the money to you.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Guitars, amps, PA system. Alcohol and drugs.

And also, hire Björn Olsson as producer.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 4, 2011,
Id probably spend it on studio time and a producer, we should have our guitars already... Id estimate the costs, leave a little extra just in case and the rest (tiny bit) could go on some amp...
First I'd buy ALL of my friends and family Minecraft accounts.

Then I'd drive down to South Carolina and buy some roman candles so me and the band can shoot each other with them. Probably about 300-400 of them.

Then, through some sort of miracle, I'd find a guy selling 6 and half ounces of weed. Buy that shit.

Then I'd buy a sophisticated water distillation device. Just in case we get trapped on a desert island.

Yeah then maybe some food and clothes. That shit.

Then we'd pool the rest of the money and give it to the Catholic Church. In return, they must resurrect Bradley Nowell.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I'd get a new amp, most likely a modeling pedal board (Line 6 Floor Pod or something similar *flameshield*), and then probably top-quality recording software and a decent computer so we can just record at home where it's cheaper.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
I'd buy more money.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
I don't feel comfortable with being give that much money, it's far more then I need to make music, hell if I had a label to pressure me I'd just pirate all my vsti's, in fact the label (they failed and bailed) I was on had cracked software in their forums
Buy some pedals, record in my school's studio that I can use for free, and save the rest for later.
Quote by wizards?
I want to buy a 7 string guitar, and tune it to Cabbage.

That was on topic, I swear.
$25,000 per person?

I have a 10 person band. Does that mean that my debut album is worth a quarter million dollars? Awesome.

I would put aside $4,000 for my guitar, $4,000 for amplification, and put the rest towards studio expenses.
I'd spend like $5000 in guitars, amps, effects and studio equipment and the rest to pay the producers, mixing engineers, etc.
I would spend absolutely nothing on equipment, borrow a mic and then send it off to be mixed by some guy off the Sneap forums I like, then have it mastered at a professional mastering studio, total cost of album: ca. 4000 bucks.
OK... I'll bite...
Your opening post implies each bandmember gets $25,000 to spend however they like...
entirely unrealistic 99.99% of the time.

A major label that fronts that kind of fluff must think these guys will be THE next big thing, and they must already plan on dumping at least another $100,000 into a major name studio and top line producer to support it. Because, in this scenario, at the end of the day, the band will be $250,000 in debt before their debut album even hits the street. They'll need to sell half a million within a year to pay off that debt and earn themselves a wage worth quitting their day jobs.... unless they do a video that adds another $50,000 to their debt. They'll also need to be an opener on some major tours to get the label the exposure required to move those numbers...

Most likely the real figure is that they'll get a $25,000 recording budget for the first album... no personal spending money per se. They can spend that money any way they like... but they need to be smart. If they have some production skill, they'd be wise to spend $10,000 on some decent gear and a DAW computer so they'll have their own future recording capabilities. That way, more of their next advance (and the other $15,000 of this first one) can go straight into the bank.

Oh, and don't quit your day job... that will be what buys your food and pays your rent and rehearsal expenses.
The $15,000 left in the bank can be tapped to pay travel expenses to a few opening spots in major festivals... Use common gear so promoters can provide your backline for you, or be prepared to go through hell transporting your own gear. Use the lead-up time wisely to promote the hell out of your upcoming trips... and once you're there, don't waste time hanging backstage... every minute you're not on stage should be spent hanging with the audience, meeting and greeting, and selling your CD's.
Last edited by Terry Gorle at Aug 4, 2011,
This is all hypothetical, so I won't take this too seriously. I'd get some good amps (I have a Vyper ), and some effects. Maybe a couple other guitars. That's all I really need for guitar gear. Probably my own live gear, I don't know how I'd do that cheaply. I'd spend some on recording gear, definitely, but for a home studio, and some of this could be from my own money. In my opinion producing and audio engineering is half the fun, even though I know very little about it right now.
The record company has to earn that shit back so I wouldn't spend a whole lot.

Thinking seriously, I was going to list a rather "bare minimum" gear list which I'd use, but by the time a record company would be paying that much for an album I'd have most of the gear I wanted, and if I really needed other pieces of gear I could borrow them via
endorsements/contacts I've made.

I think most of the money would be spent on the actual recording. No ****ing about writing in a studio, the writing can be done without paying for someone else's time. I'm sure the recording, mixing, mastering, etc, would take up a large enough amount of money as it is.

Then I'm sure each member would have to take a sort of "wage" out of the cash...

Anyway I dunno, by the time I'd be given money to make a record I'd need no new gear and I'd be cautious about the company needing to make the money back so I'd hold onto as much of it as possible so I could always pay them back...

...security, **** yeah.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Most successful artists never recoup their advances! its a crippling business, all the money is in live music now
I would just keep the gear I have as I love as it is.

But I would go for a gnarly night out on the town!
Page 1 of 2