As the title says I need help with a sound problem.
I've got a custom made Floyd Rose Mustang, though I think the only important thing in that is that it has a FR bridge.

I payed quite a hefty sum and got it back from a luthier, who set it up perfectly for playing on Drop C tuning. Here's a video I made showing the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7mD6ED8d44

Yes, the guitar is tuned correctly and it shows so on my tuner. Yes, the harmonics on the 12th fret also show as being correctly tuned, so the intonation is apparently alright. I'm sorry if it's barely audible in the video, though anyone with a good ear should instantly be able to catch it.

What is the problem? That I can't play anything besides powerchords; there is a huge nasty sounding difference when I play the first 3 strings and the last 3 strings. If I try to play something clean then it sounds out of tune, especially the 3rd string.

I would be really happy if anyone could help me with some advice on why this is happening, how I can fix it, etc. If anyone also needs more information I will try my best to give it. Thanks.
Last edited by 99PercentRatedR at Aug 4, 2011,
It could be to do with how hard you play. For example, chords sometimes sound out of tune on my RG1527 if I'm playing really hard, especially on the lower strings. The way to "correct" this is do to with how you tune- always tune to the initial pick attack! The harder you play, the sharper your notes can go. If you let the needle/light settle for a few seconds before tuning, then you're not tuning to the actual note you'd be playing with a hard pick/strum
If you play and are leaning against the bridge could also easily create this problem
The strings are really easy to bend, but I'm positive I'm not bending them. On the contrary, the lower frets sound more in tune, the first 4 frets are where I get nasty sounds.

Quote by -Blue-
Don't just test the harmonic on the 12th fret, also fret the note itself. The harmonic is going to be in tune if the string itself is, that's just how harmonics work. If the fretted note at the 12th fret isn't in tune, you need to adjust your intonation.

Alright. I tried a note on the 12th fret and indeed on the tuner it was out of tune, it showed that I needed to pull back the string some more, but I've already pulled it back as far as it can go.

What do I do in this situation then?
Quote by 99PercentRatedR

Take it back to that luthier and tell him its not intonated properly. If he did it recently he should fix it free... If not hopefully he won't charge much.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Take it back to that luthier and tell him its not intonated properly. If he did it recently he should fix it free... If not hopefully he won't charge much.

That falls out sadly, he is a guy who travels a lot from place to place, albeit from everyone I asked the best luthier around. He's no longer in my city.

I really don't have any money left to spend on finding another luthier too.
Your bridge may be positioned incorrectly. Find someone who can help you out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 99PercentRatedR
The strings are really easy to bend, but I'm positive I'm not bending them. On the contrary, the lower frets sound more in tune, the first 4 frets are where I get nasty sounds.

Alright. I tried a note on the 12th fret and indeed on the tuner it was out of tune, it showed that I needed to pull back the string some more, but I've already pulled it back as far as it can go.

Are you sure of this? It kinda sounds like you have never done this before. If the fretted not is sharper than the harmonic, you need to move the saddle back. If it's flat, move it towards the neck.
Quote by W4RP1G
Are you sure of this? It kinda sounds like you have never done this before. If the fretted not is sharper than the harmonic, you need to move the saddle back. If it's flat, move it towards the neck.

I have done it before, but I don't know, Floyd Rose guitars never fail to surprise me. It's sharper than the harmonic, so it needs to go back, but it won't go any farther.
At this point I would be checking the neck relief.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I have the solution: get thicker strings. When you press notes you are bending the strings slightly, even if you don't notice it. I had the same problem once when I tried .09s with D tuning. For Drop C I recommend .11-.54s.
Quote by Poglia
I have the solution: get thicker strings. When you press notes you are bending the strings slightly, even if you don't notice it. I had the same problem once when I tried .09s with D tuning. For Drop C I recommend .11-.54s.

I'm currently using 11 gauge strings.