I've only been playing electric for 3 months. As i understand most people either have a basic amp and then have a pedal system for effects, or you can you get a multi effect amp. Does the multi effect amp like the Fender Mustang III mean you don't need to buy a pedal system? Does it just do the same thing?
Yeah, it basically does the same thing execpt that it's built into an amp and not a pedal.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
yeah.

normally it's more for beginners, though- so you don't have to fork out for a ton of effects too (and it's a pretty good idea if you're just starting out).

But down the road, single effects pedals are normally "better".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A modeling amp would be a good first amp for someone who's just starting guitar or has played for a year or so. A mfx pedal is probably good if you have a nice amp to run it though. Single pedals do sound better though, but are usually more expensive.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Pedals all the way :P you'll have more control over your effects and also get to choose what effect pedals you want instead of being limited to whatever the amp gives you. it is good to start out with an effect amp though just so it can give you an idea of the effects that are available without having to pay so much for the effects
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
the problem with amp fx is that you don't have as much control over them as you would with separate units.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by kutless999
A modeling amp would be a good first amp for someone who's just starting guitar or has played for a year or so. A mfx pedal is probably good if you have a nice amp to run it though. Single pedals do sound better though, but are usually more expensive.

yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
from my experience, and i have never heard anyone say otherwise, multi fx units/amps focus on doing so many things, they dont really do any of them all that well.

i have had a little luck with using the amp's channels for my clean/dirtys and used the mfx unit for the effects ONLY, but even that was pretty iffy.

youre better off just getting a decent amp that is ONLY an amp, buying a distortion and a wah if you are just starting out. MAYBE a chorus and delay pedal as well.
There are high end modelling amps as well, like the Line 6 Vetta II, or Guitar Rig/G Major and a tube power amp for a kickass rack system.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Multifx amps are best if you are trying to go cheap. You won't have a floor controller and if you get one then you've broken the cheap rule. I prefer getting my mulitfx and amp separately.