Hey, i've been using this fender 250L 0.09 gauge strings since i got this guitar n the High E string have been replaced twice.

I've been talking with the guy from the store and he told me that if i want to use gauge 10 i'll have to add a spring in the strat trem (i actually have 3) because instead of a tension of 36kg caused by 0.09 gauge, 10s cause like 48kg wow

The reason why i want to change my strings is because i can't strum hard, or simply strum lol, unless i pick single strings, i get alot of string buzz. Since i got this squier deluxe strat (3months) i got it adjusted twice, and each time i was told that my neck curvature was reversed or something, caused because of high temps affecting the wood.

So shall i get the guitar adjusted or put new strings in? I want to use adjustment as last resort cos despite that the man from the store knows me and hes rly kind, he wouldn't hesitate to charge me for the adjustment ¬¬ last time were 50 euros ...

Greetz
Last edited by KBJAG at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by KBJAG
Hey, i've been using this fender 250L 0.09 gauge strings since i got this guitar n the High E string have been replaced twice.

I've been talking with the guy from the store and he told me that if i want to use gauge 10 i'll have to add a spring in the strat trem (i actually have 3) because instead of a tension of 36kg caused by 0.09 gauge, 10s cause like 48kg wow

The reason why i want to change my strings is because i can't strum hard, or simply strum lol, unless i pick single strings, i get alot of string buzz. Since i got this squier deluxe strat (3months) i got it adjusted twice, and each time i was told that my neck curvature was reversed or something, caused because of high temps affecting the wood.

So shall i get the guitar adjusted or put new strings in? I want to use adjustment as last resort cos despite that the man from the store knows me and hes rly kind, he wouldn't hesitate to charge me for the adjustment ¬¬ last time were 50 euros ...

Greetz

If you bought a guitar three months ago, have had it set up twice, and still have issues then you need to get rid of that guitar or find a new shop to work on it for you. Strings won't fix that. If you do go up to 10s though keep in mind you'll not only need to add springs (you may not need to at all really) you'll definitely need to have it set up for the new string gauge.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
What you really need is a new amp.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Neck curvature could be a big problem in the long run but if what you want you fix is string buzz, maybe consider adjusting the bridge (by someone who knows what they're doing)? String gauge may help a little but understand, strings are bound to break. If you've only had your guitar for 3 months and you've only had to replace the high E twice, that's not uncommon at all unless you're hardly playing. Try to keep your guitar in a cool area to avoid the neck from bending.

You could've bought a crap guitar too if you've already had it adjusted twice unless they had no clue what they were doing. You can only go so cheap until what you get is a pain in the ass to play.
Last edited by MyUserName777 at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
If you bought a guitar three months ago, have had it set up twice, and still have issues then you need to get rid of that guitar or find a new shop to work on it for you. Strings won't fix that. If you do go up to 10s though keep in mind you'll not only need to add springs (you may not need to at all really) you'll definitely need to have it set up for the new string gauge.

Get rid of it? it's a squier strat deluxe hot rails, it's a decent guitar n i'd get rid of it if u give me a better one :P
The issue is not that bad, a beginner who doesn't know how to set up a guitar, 3months old strings + hot temps for the wood... and it's just fret buzz.. no need to get rid of the guitar lol

About the amp, it's a vox mini 3, not bad
Quote by MyUserName777
Neck curvature could be a big problem in the long run but if what you want you fix is string buzz, maybe consider adjusting the bridge (by someone who knows what they're doing)? String gauge may help a little but understand, strings are bound to break. If you've only had your guitar for 3 months and you've only had to replace the high E twice, that's not uncommon at all unless you're hardly playing. Try to keep your guitar in a cool area to avoid the neck from bending.

You could've bought a crap guitar too if you've already had it adjusted twice unless they had no clue what they were doing. You can only go so cheap until what you get is a pain in the ass to play.

Actually the High E string was broken twice when i attemped to tune it by ear, not by playin, and 1st time bridge lifted up.
As my room is all messed up with pc parts, i leave my guitar on a table, with the neck on air, nothing supporting it, just being pushed by the gravitiy.. Thats a torture right? :S

The guy from the store should be like +60 years old and hes in music since the 60s, i doubt he doesn't know what hes doing
This guitar i got was 280 euros, and the reviews i've seen say good things about it, rates it as one of the best squiers and that can be better than some mim strats, what's a pain in the ass is that strats feel so weak... hope to win that Gibson Les paul contest...
No, the symptom (fret buzz) isn't bad. It's the potential causes that are bad.

3 months is not OMFGsuperridiculous old for strings. And if you've needed it setup multiple times already, either you store your guitar alternately in the furnace and freezer or there's some manufacturing defect.

Also how have you broken two strings in 3 months, especially if you're not strumming hard? I don't think I've broken a string in the last 3 years...
Quote by saint22
No, the symptom (fret buzz) isn't bad. It's the potential causes that are bad.

3 months is not OMFGsuperridiculous old for strings. And if you've needed it setup multiple times already, either you store your guitar alternately in the furnace and freezer or there's some manufacturing defect.

Also how have you broken two strings in 3 months, especially if you're not strumming hard? I don't think I've broken a string in the last 3 years...

Could it be a manufacturing defect even if i don't notice it? The guitar looks perfect lol
And again, the string was broken twice because i pulled the tuning peg 2 far.
btw those two times i took the guitar to the store, it was for replacing the string..
Sounds to me like you need to return it - if you're having problems like that with a new guitar, its obviously faulty and you should get it exchanged.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryHB
Sounds to me like you need to return it - if you're having problems like that with a new guitar, its obviously faulty and you should get it exchanged.

Meh not an option, bought it online, from a french site. It has 2 year warranty, initially i pay the shipping, (like 40 euros) and then they check what is it, if it's faulty or something ok, they replace it or fix it and they refund PART of the shipping. But wait, if the guitar is ok, and just needed an adjustment, they'll charge me for the repair and i'd have paid the shipping... not viable
That's not good, one of the reasons why I never import kit from overseas - it's bad enough if you have to return things to a website in your own country!

You could still be OK though - As it's a Squire, try contacting your local dealer to see if they'll help you under the terms of your warranty. If they won't, get in touch with Squire/Fender directly and see what they can do for you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
So much fail in this thread...

TS: You need a truss rod adjustment. You don't need an extra spring for going up one gauge, it's barely a shift at all. When you go up, you need to tighten your springs though to maintain balance.

He's never had the guitar "set up". He said all they did was replace the string. So the problem has never actually been tackled.

I wouldn't take it back to that guy, TS. Try to find another place, and tell them that you want to have the guitar set up, for whatever string gauge you want to use. They'll adjust your truss rod, your trem claw and your bridge so the guitar plays like it should.

Otherwise, you can learn how to do it yourself, it's not hard at all, but there is a bit of danger in adjusting the truss rod. Just read up extensively, make sure you know what's going on, how everything works, and then do it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
So much fail in this thread...

TS: You need a truss rod adjustment. You don't need an extra spring for going up one gauge, it's barely a shift at all. When you go up, you need to tighten your springs though to maintain balance.

He's never had the guitar "set up". He said all they did was replace the string. So the problem has never actually been tackled.

I wouldn't take it back to that guy, TS. Try to find another place, and tell them that you want to have the guitar set up, for whatever string gauge you want to use. They'll adjust your truss rod, your trem claw and your bridge so the guitar plays like it should.

Otherwise, you can learn how to do it yourself, it's not hard at all, but there is a bit of danger in adjusting the truss rod. Just read up extensively, make sure you know what's going on, how everything works, and then do it.

Ah thanks, all that "fail" was scaring me
Buzz is not that bad specially when headphones on. The ones which buzz more are A E D strings, others are ok
Oh and the 2nd time i took it to the store the guy told me that the neck was bowed up and xplained how the curvature should be, and he adjusted the truss rod.
I have the allen key for it but i won't mess around with it til i read how does that work.
I noticed the bridge plate is slightly moved to one side, maybe cos the use of the whammy bar, but anyways the guitar is in tune for days.
It'd be so simple to locate the problem n adjust it, but if u're a beginner n don't know whats going on... i'm specially frightened on adjusting the twin pivot bridge since it lifted up from the bottom lul
Thanks
So the bridge is at an angle? That could be a reason why your strings are breaking.

Basically, string tension counteracts spring tension. You want your bridge to be level with your guitar body. If it's angled up, you need to tighten the springs in the back. If it's sinking down, you need to loosen the springs.

Detune your strings a little, tighten the springs a little, and then tune back up, and see how it is. It could take a couple tries before you get it right, but that's basically all you have to do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes I believe aprofessional setup may do you a world of good. Or learn to do it yourself. Also I used to break smaller strings on cheap strats due to burrs on the crappy saddles. Some graphite saddles would probably help you out too and can be had for 25usd if you look around.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Ok so i went to the store and there was a guy infront of me looking for a drumset, and he said that he had spotted some great priced good quality sets on internet shops but that he'd like to pay anything cos it's worth to buy it from him..

Well the oldman from the shop started arguing about ppl who buy instruments to foreign countries from internet, knowing perfectly that i was waiting at the back. He started talking with an ironic tone sayin that the client is the most important thing and that those who want to get their instruments repaired, which are bought from foreign places, they can go away to sort themselves out.

So it was my turn and explained him briefly the thing of the string buzz, he came up with a careless tone sayin ahh i adjusted well the neck uhmm whats ur guitar?
(he perfectly knew what guitar do i have) How ol' r the strings, ohh those strings made by fender are awful (while at first he said that thers no real diffrnce between ernies, deans and fenders..) Ehhh change ur strings. And i was like Okk.. soo uhh goodbye don't hurt me please.

So is he right? just need to change the strings? (they're 2.5 months old fender 250L 0.09)
Or i'd better go to other store or simply learn to adjust it, cos i doubt fret buzz is caused by a 3 months old strings...
I'm kinda fed up with that behavior towards me, having paid so much money in reparations n adjustents to that oldman... You could consider that i've bought a guitar from him with the quantity of money he charged me...

LOl greetz sry for my raging