Budget - $600-750

Genre - Metal (Lamb of God, Early Wylde/Ozzy, Mastodon), Southern Metal (Alabama Thunderpussy, Artemus Pyle), and classic rock (Especially Pink Floyd)

New or Used - Totally OK with going used

Home or Gig - Both, actually. Most of the gigs I would play have PA systems

Closest City - Evansville, IN

Current Gear - Check sig

Additional Info - I like that dry distortion with balls, not the modern 6505+ type brutal distortion. Would really love to have a decent clean channel as well, and 2 channels would be sweet. Preferably a combo, but I'll look at heads too. Tube.

I tried an HT-5 stack, but I wasn't too impressed with the tone. It sounded rather boxy and didn't have any throat to it. Cleans were pretty mediocre. I'm looking into getting the Jet City JCA22H when it comes out, or the 50W version. I've also thought about getting a used JCM2000 TSL combo.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
if you can do it go for the marshall 100%. you won't find much better tone that that thing
Just chiming in on the Lamb of God bit. You're not going to get their tone without a Mesa Mark. One of the cornerstones of their tone is a "tighter than a junkie's butthole before prison" bass response.

In so far as I know, nothing responds like Mark, other than a Mark. Hence no Mesa Mark, no accurate LOG tone. A Marshall is pretty far from a LOG tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Peavey XXX is a pretty good compromise for getting all the tones you need. Good modern tone, good crunch tone and decent cleans.

And you can get it in half stack form in your budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For the price range listed....Try a Carvin V3m
Spend a bit more for the full sized V3
3 modes per dirty channel lets you get anywhere from old school Marshall to 6505+ modern.
For LOG, try the "thick" setting.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Have you looked into Peavey? Great stuff. The XXX, the Ultra Plus, a 5150/6505. I'm biased towards Peavey, love the things. Got a 5150 2x12 and the 5150 4x12 with some Celestions. Amazing tone for metal; I'm sure it'd suit Lamb of God great.
I'm aware that I can't get the LOG tone from anything than a Mark, but you have an idea of the tone I'm looking for. I've played a few different Peavey amps (5150, 6505+) and wasn't impressed with the cleans in the slightest. I'm interested in the XXX but I haven't heard the clean channel on one. How is it?

EDIT: Carvin discontinued the V3 according to their site.

EDITx2: Nvm, I was given a link to a special on their site about the amp that expired
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
I'm interested in the XXX but I haven't heard the clean channel on one. How is it?

It's pretty good, but you have to now how to EQ it. The XXX has active EQ, so it's a bit different than your normal amp. I'd say it's really good considering how much gain the amp has. It's just all in how you EQ it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ragingkitty
Just chiming in on the Lamb of God bit. You're not going to get their tone without a Mesa Mark. One of the cornerstones of their tone is a "tighter than a junkie's butthole before prison" bass response.

In so far as I know, nothing responds like Mark, other than a Mark. Hence no Mesa Mark, no accurate LOG tone. A Marshall is pretty far from a LOG tone.

I can't even get an LOG tone with my Mark IV
Quote by Ignite
I can't even get an LOG tone with my Mark IV

Eh you also know that there's a Triple Rec and a Roadster in he mix as well right?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Flux'D

EDIT: Carvin discontinued the V3 according to their site.

EDITx2: Nvm, I was given a link to a special on their site about the amp that expired

CRIPES!!! You scarred the $#!T outta me!!! whew!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune