I absolutely love this song. It's called "Life Was a Bore" and it's from the video game Outrun 2 on XBox. The lead guitar, played by Tomoya Koga, has this really awesome tone that I've never quite been able to replicate.

Here's a link to a Youtube video of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFm2h5chnOg

It sort of has a feebacky overtone sound to it, especially right around 1:05. It doesn't sound quite like an Octavia, so I'm not sure what gives it that quality. Any suggestions on how I might get started on recreating this? I have a few guitars (Fender Strat, Ibanez w/ humbuckers) and a lot of digital amps via Line 6 software and Digitech pedal emulation, so any advice you can give would be a big help!
it might just be volume, a fair amount of preamp gain and a tube amp...

assuming he's not using fancy studio trickery (or something like a sustainer pickup) to get that almost-feedbacky tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the ibanez may be best suited to it with the humbuckers. its a very smooth tone. think steve via. touch of delay would make it sound real nice but you really gotta tweak the distortion. its tough to find something to make it that smooth. if you can, try and pull up a carvin legacy (vai's signature) for the amp and maybe that will help get you started.
^edit, if not try and look for some santana presets cuz it sounds a lot like him. he uses a prs custom and i think he plays through a marshall but I'm not sure
^ he normally uses mesas now, i think.

but yeah if your digital modelling software has any modern santana presets, then that would be a good call. he does tend to use that smooth, edge-of-feedback type of tone a lot (though whether or not modelling will get anywhere close, i dunno).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try some of the Santana presets. I'm sure I've got a few on either Line 6 Pod Farm or my Digitech pedal.
Quote by -Blue-
On this forum, EVERYBODY needs a Dumble.

Yup. Not nearly enough Robben Ford talk here for my tastes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah i think i can hear some chirp in there
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To me it seems like a very easy tone to achieve, very santanish..

Line 6: I would use a Saldano model with some tube screamer, light chorus and delay around 220ms, tweak to taste.

Tube amp:Any mesa, saldano, something with a vintage tube warmth, no too much gain, the other poster recommended high-gain. I am saying something much lower like a mesa DR, channel 2, gain at 30% kind of gain..

Peavey Vyper or similar: same thing, find a mid-gain, mesa/saldano sound and i think they have a recto setting for that, i'll have to check myy vyper..i have one too and the effects are also on there..I am now thinking he might have used a vyper, i seem to remember the octiver effect you are referring to.