So, the UK Government has bought in an E-Petitions site. Here, you can vote for things that you believe MP's should seriously consider. 100,000 votes on one subject will mean the MP's will discuss it.

I think this is a brilliant idea. However, there could be extremist groups that could vote on a subject most will disagree on. But, hopefully the MP's will use some common sense and see that a subject might be from extremist groups.

This could cause the death penalty to be used as well. A very popular subject is the hanging of people who murder children and police officers. I've got mixed feelings about the death penalty, but that's for another thread.

What do you guys think about this? Waste of time or does it have potential? Here's a related link
Well, the US has interest groups that basically send out e-petitions to congressmen. You basically give your electronic signature and then the interest group asks you to send an automatic email to your congressman. Then, they take the e-petition and present it to congressmen's offices. Though usually the petitions are about supporting or stopping a bill already on the House or Senate floor.
I don't like this idea...

Those racist right wingers might do something crazy, probably because they don't have the guts to speak their minds in public. On the internet, they can do what they want.

Also, I do not want to have register to see that article.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Im for it, but dont think it will change anything.
Ive already been on the actual site and alot of E-petitions seem to get deleted...
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
They UK government (or at least number 10 Downing Street) has had an e-petitions service for years.

I've signed a couple. One against the digital economy act, one appealing for a full enquiry into the Hillsborough coverup and a couple of others that I can't remember.

this is nothing new, and it won't really change anything. Anything that gets enough signatures to be noticed will be discussed in the media anyway. The death penalty thing has come out of nowhere because some **** has decided to be controversial to get a bit of attention.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If the death penalty actually gets 100,000 signatures I will officially have lost faith in this country.

I did sign the one about legalising weed tho :P

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
If the death penalty actually gets 100,000 signatures I will officially have lost faith in this country.

I did sign the one about legalising weed tho :P

I won't be surprised. The Death penalty is generally quite popular, particularly in countries where it still exists (support tends to fall after it's abolished).
Not that it matters, the point of having a government, rather than just a direct democracy, is to protect the rights of the minority even if the majority of people want to do something that violates them.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
100 000 votes? Good luck, minorities, the goverment is far too busy for your shenaningans.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think this is an amazing idea, so long as MPs actually take the eligible petitions seriously.
Although this does let ignorant morons voice their ill-informed, unrealistic suggestions, I think the stupid ideas that do slip through to get a considerable amount of signatures will be highlighted in the media, hopefully teaching the public the facts of the issues. This goes for the death penalty; there are so many valid arguments against it but only one real argument for it which, when presented with the thought of the death penalty without research, people immediately see: "HURR DURRR THEY MURDERED SO MUST BE MURDERED".

Although the petition AGAINST the death penality has twice as many signatures as the petition FOR it and has the most signatures, so I'm not worried about that
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Aug 4, 2011,
Petitions that contrast with the members views will be swiftly ignored.
i don't know why i feel so dry
im starting to think 100,000 signatures is quite a high threshold.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]